British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   I need a new laptop (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/i-need-new-laptop-722986/)

Howefamily Jun 29th 2011 4:30 pm

I need a new laptop

Just went to Future Shop to look into buying a new laptop. I dont want to pay stacks for it as we only want it for Netflix, skype, internet browsing and the odd spreadsheet or word doc. The guy there told me that I can buy one from the wide price range and ideally I should pay for a setup. When I queried what a setup is ($150 worth apparently) its to clear all the unneccesary junk it comes with from the manufacturer.

Now I know these guys work on commission and I do not want to being pay for something I dont need......
any thoughts on this setup please?

thanks all

Monique_in_Canada Jun 29th 2011 4:36 pm

Re: I need a new laptop

a cheaper alternative to a laptop then if u only need for netflix is this...

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/sto...Number=SMPN100

$99 and u can watch netflix on ya TV with it!!!

Aviator Jun 29th 2011 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by Howefamily (Post 9465105)
Just went to Future Shop to look into buying a new laptop. I dont want to pay stacks for it as we only want it for Netflix, skype, internet browsing and the odd spreadsheet or word doc. The guy there told me that I can buy one from the wide price range and ideally I should pay for a setup. When I queried what a setup is ($150 worth apparently) its to clear all the unneccesary junk it comes with from the manufacturer.

Now I know these guys work on commission and I do not want to being pay for something I dont need......
any thoughts on this setup please?

thanks all

Got to add remove programs from control panel and you can remove the junk yourself.

cheeky_monkey Jun 29th 2011 4:40 pm

no you dont what a con $150!

Howefamily Jun 29th 2011 4:41 pm

thanks guys, yes I do need a new laptop too, for online banking, word documents, facebook, skype.....
The relatives back at home are getting fedup with the fact we havent sorted Skype yet.........

dbd33 Jun 29th 2011 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by Howefamily (Post 9465135)
thanks guys, yes I do need a new laptop too, for online banking, word documents, facebook, skype.....
The relatives back at home are getting fedup with the fact we havent sorted Skype yet.........

Costco has lots of machines that will do that for not a lot of money.

CanadaJimmy Jun 29th 2011 5:36 pm

Just make sure you don't get conned into getting a Pentium Dual Core laptop, those things are old and dreadful yet they seem to be slapping them into the lower end laptops to clear intel's stockpile of them. Get an Intel i5 or Intel i7 CPU, at least 2GB of RAM (4GB is recommended). Also for Netflix check out the VIdeo-output options so if you plan to connect it to the TV you can. Some Laptops have HDMI tv-out ports.

Bill_S Jun 29th 2011 5:39 pm

I have a Lenovo that has been working well for over two years. No problems at all. A tip - when buying direct from the manufacturer (as I did), try using the "small business" configuration tool rather than the "home" tool. There was very little pre-loaded bloatware on my "business" laptop.

cheeky_monkey Jun 29th 2011 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy (Post 9465251)
Also for Netflix check out the VIdeo-output options so if you plan to connect it to the TV you can. Some Laptops have HDMI tv-out ports.

dont virtually all laptops have HDMI outputs these days..also go for AMD QUAD CORE..they are about $100 cheaper for the same spec intel i5 machine.

kimilseung Jun 29th 2011 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by Howefamily (Post 9465135)

Whats wrong with the old laptop? For what you want a computer several years old will do, you could buy a second hand one for the price of the setup.

Howefamily Jun 29th 2011 6:23 pm

old laptop is knackered, slow, missing some keys, I could go on....

CanadaJimmy Jun 29th 2011 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey (Post 9465260)
dont virtually all laptops have HDMI outputs these days..also go for AMD QUAD CORE..they are about $100 cheaper for the same spec intel i5 machine.

Yeah, the $100 saving is clearly worth your legs burning when you have the thing on your lap. Also not all of them have HDMI, many are still the S-Video+VGA combo, a lot have DVI but then you have to get an adaptor and a seperate audio cable. HDMI certainly isn't guaranteed but is definitely the best option for TV hookups provided you have a modern TV.

kimilseung Jun 29th 2011 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by Howefamily (Post 9465352)
old laptop is knackered, slow, missing some keys, I could go on....

Do you perform maintenance on it? Was it always slow? If not, re-installation of operating system might be a solution, clear out all the accumulated junk. You could also install a new keyboard, if you are not up to doing it yourself ask a local computer repair shop how much they would want, it will probably be cheaper than a new computer, your requirements do not seem to be overly resource intensive, you don't need an i-5.

Howefamily Jun 29th 2011 6:32 pm

nope, no maintenance, we are useless when it comes to this stuff

Monique_in_Canada Jun 29th 2011 8:06 pm

if u have access to the US..... try fatwallet.com!!!