British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   I love the Olympics because... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/i-love-olympics-because-654739/)

Pincher Feb 14th 2010 10:41 am

I love the Olympics because...

Why else would I be up at 3 o'clock in the morning, drinking beer, eating crap, watching sports people I've never heard of participating in events I know nothing about, but getting really into it and cheering them all along! :D

Devil Girl Feb 14th 2010 2:16 pm

Re: I love the Olympics because...

I also love the winter Olympics but I am not sure when it is on the TV.

I must get a TV guide today.

BristolUK Feb 14th 2010 10:27 pm

I've always watched the summer games and rarely the winter version.

My Canadian wife and kids are interested this time so I'm watching a bit too.

macadian Feb 14th 2010 11:46 pm

They underline how thankful I am to have Satanta soccer.....:p

spankysparkle Feb 15th 2010 4:26 pm

... it is SO exciting! I do exactly what you do Pincher - well the cheering on bit and get goose bumps all the time. in my next life i want to be a snowboard X and skeleton champ.
woooo-hooooooo!!!

Alberta_Rose Feb 15th 2010 5:29 pm

Are we all cheering for Canada? I haven't actually seen any British competitors anyway ..... :p

spankysparkle Feb 15th 2010 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by Alberta_Rose (Post 8344319)
Are we all cheering for Canada? I haven't actually seen any British competitors anyway ..... :p

i am! (and germany)

Bali2010 Feb 15th 2010 7:22 pm

I always enjoy them even if not in Canada, which given my complete lack of experience & understanding has always struck me as odd.

Too much ski sunday / torvill & dean as a child.

BTW it is on BBC interactive if anyone needs to catch up - watching snowboarding now.

Of course, given my wii practise over xmas, I should now qualify as a ski-jumper ;)

BristolUK Feb 15th 2010 9:51 pm

I haven't actually seen any British competitors anyway ..... :p

I saw one or two in the scores listings but I haven't seen any perform.

I've seen both Moguls finals, some skating (speed and dance) and a bit of luge.

Coverage is somewhat one sided. :unsure:

(being diplomatic)

Oink Feb 15th 2010 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 8344952)
I saw one or two in the scores listings but I haven't seen any perform.

I've seen both Moguls finals, some skating (speed and dance) and a bit of luge.

Coverage is somewhat one sided. :unsure:

(being diplomatic)

Is anyone else sick of all the ****grinning, maple leaf waving Canadians on the telly? You sort of expect this kind behaviour from Americans but this has got a bit nauseating.

Alberta_Rose Feb 15th 2010 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 8344965)
Is anyone else sick of all the ****grinning, maple leaf waving Canadians on the telly?

No. :D

Anyway, what would you expect? You are watching Canadian TV coverage of a (mostly) Canadian crowd watching Canadian athletes competing in the Olympics In Canada!

I mean. Duh! :p

Elizabeth I Feb 15th 2010 11:30 pm

Is anyone else sick of all the ****grinning, maple leaf waving Canadians on the telly? You sort of expect this kind behaviour from Americans but this has got a bit nauseating.

If it's nauseating why do you subject yourself to it? you don't have to tune in, just switch telly off. :p

But to answer your question, I love seeing the grinning, maple leaf waving Canadians on telly, all adds to the atmos. :):rofl::D:thumbsup:

Elizabeth I Feb 15th 2010 11:32 pm

LOL, naw, I'm cheering for Canada, Great Britain and NZ. I wouldn't mind seeing all three on the podium at any time...:D

Yeah I have hardly seen Brits too, I watched a GB figure skating pair yesterday but that's about all...:huh:

Auld Yin Feb 15th 2010 11:35 pm

And what do you expect will happen in London in 2012? Exactly the same, except there will be twice as many grinning, waving Brits or don't the Brits take pride in holding the games/their athletes being successful .

Auld Yin Feb 15th 2010 11:37 pm

The UK downhill skier was on TV this afternoon.