Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

I love the Olympics because...

I love the Olympics because...

Old Feb 15th 2010, 11:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: I love the Olympics because...

Originally Posted by spankysparkle
i am! (and germany)

The Germans are doing really well aren't they? Everytime I see the ones at the top it's always the German flag in the top 5...unless I'm reading the score board wrong, but Germany seems to be always near the top and asserting itself as a major competitor.
Old Feb 15th 2010, 11:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of light

I can't wait for the ice hockey between USA and Canada.
Old Feb 15th 2010, 11:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Iain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alberta_Rose
I haven't actually seen any British competitors anyway .....

But didn't they have lovely berets at the opening ceremony?

Am enjoying the games a lot, this is a fun place to be right now (as for Brits, we're going to watch the GB curling team on Wednesday). Heading up to Whistler on Friday to get some cheeky skiing in, and to see if I can find a surreptitious vantage point to observe the men's super-G.

Was somewhat indifferent beforehand largely due to media Olympic evangelising fatigue, but once we saw the torch go past our house last Friday it all became exciting again!

Cheers, Iain
Old Feb 15th 2010, 11:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elizabeth I
The Germans are doing really well aren't they? Everytime I see the ones at the top it's always the German flag in the top 5...unless I'm reading the score board wrong, but Germany seems to be always near the top and asserting itself as a major competitor.
Sounds familiar.....be careful Poland....
Old Feb 15th 2010, 11:51 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
And what do you expect will happen in London in 2012? Exactly the same, except there will be twice as many grinning, waving Brits or don't the Brits take pride in holding the games/their athletes being successful .
The Canadians are always banging on about their sense of fair play, decorum and generally not being knobends but from what I can see, they come across as hypocritical ones.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 12:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Iain Mc
But didn't they have lovely berets at the opening ceremony?

Am enjoying the games a lot, this is a fun place to be right now (as for Brits, we're going to watch the GB curling team on Wednesday). Heading up to Whistler on Friday to get some cheeky skiing in, and to see if I can find a surreptitious vantage point to observe the men's super-G.

Was somewhat indifferent beforehand largely due to media Olympic evangelising fatigue, but once we saw the torch go past our house last Friday it all became exciting again!

Cheers, Iain

Oh lucky you! I'd love to be there, there are some events I would have liked to be at.

Yes, very jaunty berets on the GB team, what was that about? Looked sailorish but cute too.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 12:09 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

The UK downhill skier was on TV this afternoon.
All afternoon.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 12:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Oink
The Canadians are always banging on about their sense of fair play, decorum and generally not being knobends but from what I can see, they come across as hypocritical ones.

It's the same in NZ. They rant and rave about being a rugby nation and loving the game until England won the Rugby World Cup and then the silence was deafening.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 12:23 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

So cheering for their athletes' successes is not fair play and therefore hypocritical. So will that make Brits hypocritical in 2012 when citizens of the reputed home of fair play and decorum, grin, cheer and wave when its athletes win medals?
Old Feb 16th 2010, 12:34 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

There's been much excitment and rivalry among my family, not that I quite know what they're shouting about. They're a mixture of Swiss and Americans. Little has been said about the Canadians except that they've cheated and their results shouldn't really count.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 12:36 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Is anyone watching the speed skating?

Thought not, because the piss up in brewery crowd running this laugh-in have just managed to ruin the ice in the Richmond whatsit.

You couldn't make this up.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 12:37 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

So cheering for their athletes' successes is not fair play and therefore hypocritical. So will that make Brits hypocritical in 2012 when citizens of the reputed home of fair play and decorum, grin, cheer and wave when its athletes win medals?
No, its just imo they are just way over the top with it all.

On secondary point, why are the Canadian speed skaters wearing cling film on their bottoms?
Old Feb 16th 2010, 12:39 am
Born again atheist

On secondary point, why are the Canadian speed skaters wearing cling film on their bottoms?
Surely that's obvious? Given that the other skaters are bending over to sniff their arses, it's only considerate.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 12:41 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
All afternoon.
Statement or question? I'm not sure.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 1:11 am
BE Forum Addict

And so are all the other countries who get to host the Olympics. It's not just Canada. And I bet Britain will be over the top with it all come 2012. I hope so anyway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.