Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

I have sold my house but do I exchange or rent it???

I have sold my house but do I exchange or rent it???

Old May 13th 2007, 8:53 pm

Mrs Miggins is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I have sold my house but do I exchange or rent it???

Really confused and would like some feedback.

We live in a home and in a village that suits alot of our needs. We are going to Canada on WP Study Permit route, with mind to get PR. But I am really worried that we are going to hate it or something and then I am stuck with uprootin my three and five year olds again

Our house should exchange this week, but technically we could just rent it and keep a safety net in case things don't work out.

What do you guys reckon, I am seriously considering renting just in case.......

Or do I just have a case of the collywobbles???????
Old May 13th 2007, 8:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

bear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nice
Default Re: I have sold my house but do I exchange or rent it???

Originally Posted by Mrs Miggins

We live in a home and in a village that suits alot of our needs. We are going to Canada on WP Study Permit route, with mind to get PR. But I am really worried that we are going to hate it or something and then I am stuck with uprootin my three and five year olds again

Our house should exchange this week, but technically we could just rent it and keep a safety net in case things don't work out.

just a tought. ask Linda P about her experience.
we are in the same situation but are going to sell. We have a friend who lets a few properties and tha damage from one is ogset from the good tenants in another. Could you cope with any hassle from long distance, we couldn't.
But this is just our thoughts and hopefully you have just got the collywobbles. Whilst moving from house to house for you is major, just think what an adventure it would be if you were a kid.
Just my tuppence
jo
Old May 13th 2007, 9:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

One or two things to consider:

1. capital gains tax in one form or other, canadian or Uk. OK think about the option that you like canada and in two or three years decided to sell your UK house to fund property in Canada, you will then be liable for canadain capital gains tax on a year ratioed proportion of your capital gain

2. Is your house up to being rented, ie specifically how much would you have to spend on electrics etc to get it up to speed.

Gryphea
Old May 13th 2007, 10:06 pm
Bright light!!

Tiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond repute

Two schools of thought on this IMO:

1. Whilst it is totally natural to have collywobbles, if you really think you are going to hate should you be moving there in the first place if you are not 100% committed? (not suggesting you aren't because we had this thought for a short while but in the end decided if we were moving we would give it our all and be positive about it)

2. The other is yes, it is a safety net and there is some sense in it but it is a pain in the butt kinda one so do you really want another hassle on top of all the ones you are going to have to deal with as part of moving abroad anyway?

I know there are good arguments for both selling and renting and after much umming and ahhing we decided to sell, when we couldn't we thought we'd go back to plan B of renting, which then backfired when the renter pulled out. We were lucky enough to have someone step in and buy it so I truly believe that was what was meant to be for us and I am sooooo glad it is because I just couldn't cope with having a millstone round our necks like that when we are starting a new life.

So personally speaking I would sell is my long-winded answer...
Old May 14th 2007, 9:37 am

Thanks guysome really valid points there.

I get the be about being positive more this morning. At the end of the day I also have to ask myself if I did hate Canada or something happened what are the chances of us moving back to here anyway????

Also with house prices and interest rates as they are we may well be getting out at just the right time......

I have decided not to push it and just wait and see what the week brings. If exchanging becomes an option this week, then I will just have to sleep on it another couple of nights

Just had a serious case of the COLLYWOBBLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old May 14th 2007, 9:52 am
BE Enthusiast

karla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant future

Good Luck with what ever you decide to do - It will work out in the end

Karla x x x x x
Old May 14th 2007, 10:20 am
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Ask yourself Is your village going to remain a good environment to keep your kids in say 10 year time ? Will they still have the same quality and naivity in life ?

You really do need to consider CGT on the final disposal if you were to keep it. Do you really want someone living there and possibly wrecking it before you actually sell it ?

Defo got the collywobbles hunny - I have had them again this morning when i watched a video on You tube of the town I am going to live in - just got really emotional that it is getting nearer by the day > AND I have had 9 months of getting used to the idea of going with phil being there for the past 4 months !

Think also about your quality of life here in the UK - what will it be like in the years to come ? If you want to move in say 5 years what choice will you have how much will your mortgage have to go up and then what will your quality of life be like.

I am a big believer that in the UK you "Work to Survive" meaning that if you do an honest days work you get nothing back and when bettering yourself over the years with expenses and mortgage costs this affects your quality of Life.

Somewhere else in the world you could very well get the chance to "Work to Live" - ie that you work hard you reap the rewards of your work. If this be Canada (and from what i have seen over the past 17 years of visiting) so be it !!!! Have your kids a better environment to grow and for you to nurture them.

I am also a great believer that there is a society being bred within the UK of disrespect of peoples self (not sure if that is grammatically correct) other people and other peoples property also our society here in the UK is becoming way to materialistic - keeping up with the Jones' and it is not only the parents kids are being bred with that attitude too.

Maybe it is because we live about 6 miles from inner Manchester ? But having been brought up in a "village" type area when I was a little girl I have certainly seen things change for the worse over the last 25 years - areas which were untouched being turned into easy meat for ruffians to spread crime due to by passes being built etc.

We had the chance to emigrate to Canada in 1993 and what with getting married and then starting a family quickly and then situations with our own careers and never did it. WE HAVE ALWAYS REGRETTED THIS !!!!

So following redundancy for OH we have finally said OK that is enough Canada here we come.

Hope the pep talk works for you

Gaynor
x
Old May 14th 2007, 10:23 am
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry for the length of the above post but when I get on my soap box I really get on it.

Had to stop as I could have turned a bit political too but the less said there the better

Once you are over the pond you will realise what a good move you are making.

Good Luck Mrs M

Gay

x
Old May 14th 2007, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

NovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really nice

Think you've opened a can of worms with this one.

First thought when I read your post was, If you have to ask the question perhaps it might be best to rent.

BUT two thoughts.

Do you rent the property in the UK then if (like everyone) you run into some teething problems in Canada you jump ship straight away (not saying that you will), instead of trying to work through it, knowing you've still got your home in the UK.

If you don't have a home to return to will you work through any problems "as this is now home & there's no going back"!

Ultimately it's your decision, no matter what we say!

Wish you all the best with whatever decision you make.

Old May 14th 2007, 2:28 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

If you have any doubts, keep it on rent is my advice. You can always sell it when you are convinced Canada is where you want to spend the rest of your lives. Hopefully house prices in the UK would have risen by then as well making you a few extra quid
Old May 14th 2007, 3:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Linda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there.

We did this....we wanted a safety net, as we had never been to Canada before, we also loved the area we lived in and had good schools for the children, so if Canada didn't work out then we would just go back.

I have to say that we ended up regretting renting. We had real problems getting the tenants out even though we used an agency. Then selling it seemed to take forever, we weren't there to present it as we would have liked. Not to mention the tax bill last year!!!

All this said....we loved Edmonton from day one, it might have been a different story if we hadn't!

Linda
Old May 14th 2007, 3:23 pm

Talking Re: I have sold my house but do I exchange or rent it???

COLLYWOBBLES HAVE GONE
COLLYWOBBLES HAVE LEFT THE BUILDING!!!!!!!

Thanks for the feedback and advice on that guys. GAYNOR! You and I will be living in the same town so I would love to get that u tuble clip title.

I think everyone should expect the day after their leaving party (certainly if it coincides with their 30th birthday!!!!!!!!!!) they may well indeed get a wee dose of the CWs!!!

Cheers again guys - I really wish I found this forum months ago!
Old May 14th 2007, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

polarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud of

COLLYWOBBLES HAVE GONE

Thanks for the feedback and advice on that guys. GAYNOR! You and I will be living in the same town so I would love to get that u tuble clip title.

I think everyone should expect the day after their leaving party (certainly if it coincides with their 30th birthday!!!!!!!!!!) they may well indeed get a wee dose of the CWs!!!

Cheers again guys - I really wish I found this forum months ago!
Red Deer out of the picture then? Hope it wasn't something I said.
Old May 14th 2007, 6:38 pm
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute

COLLYWOBBLES HAVE GONE
Glad to hear you made a decision.

I would have said if you've got a sale, go with it but if I'd left on a temporary visa rather than PR, and if finances permitted, I might have been tempted to look into the purchase of a smaller more rentable property to keep a toe-hold in the UK market (our old family house is not as lucrative as a modern small flat would be in our area of the UK for instance).
Old May 14th 2007, 8:52 pm

POLARBEARMUM, no it's always been between Red Deer and Lethbridge and at times it's looked more Red Deer due to my husbands work etc. But at the moment and on the last lap I think we are and hope we are heading for Lethbridge, I really really really hope so anyway!!!!!!

Hope you are well anywayx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.