Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

I find this very disturbing.

I find this very disturbing.

Old Jun 10th 2008, 8:26 pm
Property Owner

welshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nice
Default Re: I find this very disturbing.

I've always thought that if I'm wrong and there is a God then when I wander up to the pearly gates he/she won't give me too hard of a time. I'll have lived a decent life because I wanted to and not because of the fear of hell or the bribery of heaven.
Old Jun 10th 2008, 8:32 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

But thats the thing - why do you think that by living a decent life you will go to heaven?

Like I said before if "god" gave everyone free will, then it is up to us to use it as we see fit - and if we do that then we will have led a full and relatively happy life because we are living our lives as we choose. Therefore when we die - our souls will be fulfilled (having experienced what we needed to) - and will therefore be in "heaven".

I also don't believe in a hell either - just the souls need to keep returning to earth to experience different things until it is fulfilled!!!!!

(I'm now waiting for Bazzz to come along and tell me to read his signature!)
Old Jun 10th 2008, 8:37 pm
Property Owner

welshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nice

My point was that if I'm wrong and judgement day comes, then come my turn in front of the 'big guy upstairs' I'll have lived a 'good' life (as defined by common christian values).

The only thing is I'll have done it because I think it's right.
Old Jun 10th 2008, 8:38 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by welshchem
My point was that if I'm wrong and judgement day comes, then come my turn in front of the 'big guy upstairs' I'll have lived a 'good' life (as defined by common christian values).

The only thing is I'll have done it because I think it's right.
And thats how i live mine too (along with the phrase - well it felt good at the time too!)!!!!!
Old Jun 10th 2008, 9:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Just to go off on a tangent, we're covering the (in)correctness of forcing religion on children but what about vegetarians.

A friend of mine from Uni has never eaten meat, his parents are both staunch veggies so he grew up without meat. Now he's away from the folks he can't be convinced that chowing down on dead animal carcass is a good thing.
I'm bringing up my kids as vegetarians. I did say to my little boy who's 5 that when he's older he may decide to eat meat and that's okay it's his choice once he can cook for himself, he looked totally horrified and said "I'll never eat meat" so I guess the brain washing is complete
Old Jun 10th 2008, 10:02 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
...so I guess the brain washing is complete
Certainly looks that way.
Old Jun 10th 2008, 10:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Certainly looks that way.
Somewhat easier than teaching him about God, so far I've avoided that conversation
Old Jun 10th 2008, 10:15 pm
Cheesey Dippin-Dunkin

Harrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud ofHarrypottermouse has much to be proud of

Just to go off on a tangent, we're covering the (in)correctness of forcing religion on children but what about vegetarians.

A friend of mine from Uni has never eaten meat, his parents are both staunch veggies so he grew up without meat. Now he's away from the folks he can't be convinced that chowing down on dead animal carcass is a good thing.
I totally agree - that is - it should have been the child's choice once he was old enough to make an informed decision....I already teach the girls that what they are eating is dead animals and that they are not to be afraid of eating all sorts of things....(cue conversation today about eating Penguins....Only at Icleand I replied...she is 2...and chuckled)...anyhow, up to the point that the girls say to me....I want to be vegetarian....they will continue to eat the "family" food (staunch carnivours). When that day comes they will be quized quite lengthly as to what a vegetarian is, how they will continue to get nutrition from all the major food groups - what will they replace meat with....etc. what is their reasoning behind it....and they will have to prepare meal plans for a while (minimum of 6 to 8 weeks) and if they are truely old enough, shop and cook for themselves....

May seem extreme, but I want them to absolutely believe that the choices they make affect their lives in more than just one way....becoming something or another - in this case Vegetarian....isn't a food fad thing...you don't always have to eat meat without being veggie....but you don't just do it for a laugh or to make a statement to your mates....its a life choice and one you should abide by if you choose a particular path...well you could go on adinfinituem....

Like many of us say - life is about choice and (wait for it....don't start but, but, but) the girls have their meat, it is their choice to actually eat it....one eats green stuff the other one doesn't - but she still gets it!

They are not being deprived but nor are they being forced even though their father and I (do eat some meat free meals) would rather be omnivourous than vegetarian.

Wow what a side track....

BTW - does your friend wear leather shoes....?

Last edited by Harrypottermouse; Jun 10th 2008 at 10:17 pm.
Old Jun 10th 2008, 10:24 pm
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute

Seeing as you raised the subject..............I have been a vegetarian for nearly 25 years; I was raised a carnivore and am the only veggie in the family. I decided against meat-eating when I was old enough to question the world around me.
Old Jun 10th 2008, 10:27 pm
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
But as it requires ‘belief’ and following a dogma…… it is isn't ‘science’

and that’s the problem
Ah, I see you've pinched (almost) my signature!
Old Jun 10th 2008, 10:37 pm
itchy feet again!

[QUOTE=Harrypottermouse;6454708]

BTW - does your friend wear leather shoes....?[/QUOTE]

The usual "trip-up" question posed to veggies by carnivores! And whilst this question was not directed at me, I shall answer anyway, in anticipation of it being asked:

I do not wear leather shoes, watch strap or clothes; I do not wear fur or animal skin of any type. I clean my teeth with a vegan toothpaste, and I check labels of everything I eat for all the hidden animal ingredients. I use soya milk only.

As I said, this is anticipation, as I can just feel the questions coming..........
Old Jun 10th 2008, 10:39 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by oldbag
Seeing as you raised the subject..............I have been a vegetarian for nearly 25 years; I was raised a carnivore and am the only veggie in the family. I decided against meat-eating when I was old enough to question the world around me.

When I was a kid, I ate meat. Then I ate a veggie diet for 22 years. Now I eat meat. I'm trying to understand what you're inferring but my meat-fueled brains cell can't cope with th... oh, look a baby squirrel!!!
Old Jun 10th 2008, 10:40 pm
itchy feet again!

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
When I was a kid, I ate meat. Then I ate a veggie diet for 22 years. Now I eat meat. I'm trying to understand what you're inferring but my meat-fueled brains cell can't cope with th... oh, look a baby squirrel!!!
Old Jun 10th 2008, 11:02 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by oldbag
I was raised a carnivore
Wouldn't that be raised an omnivore?

Carnivores eat only meat don't they?
Old Jun 11th 2008, 12:00 am
itchy feet again!

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Wouldn't that be raised an omnivore?

Carnivores eat only meat don't they?
Sooooo pedantic!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.