Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

I find this very disturbing.

I find this very disturbing.

Old Jun 9th 2008, 7:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I find this very disturbing.

Originally Posted by FlirtyKnickers
Genuine answer....in the non fiction section..
And rightly so!
Old Jun 9th 2008, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FlirtyKnickers
Genuine answer....in the non fiction section..
Wouldn't it be in the reference section?
Old Jun 9th 2008, 9:23 pm
Logical & Hot Stuff

FlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
Wouldn't it be in the reference section?
oh..im not sure
Old Jun 9th 2008, 10:30 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

The bible would be in the 'religion' section - dewey decimal 200-299 - where all the other texts regarded as 'the twooth' are located.
Old Jun 10th 2008, 3:15 am
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
The bible would be in the 'religion' section - dewey decimal 200-299 - where all the other texts regarded as 'the twooth' are located.
Very good !
Old Jun 10th 2008, 4:17 am
Always lurking.

gingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of light

I'm going to defend these parents and teachers. I teach my kids that man and the earth evolved because this is what I believe to be true. Basing my opinion on what I have been taught by sources that I feel are reliable. These people are just teaching these kids how man and the earth were created as truthfully as they can. Basing the opinion on a source that they believe is reliable. The literal word of the bible. Its just a science lesson using a different text book.
Old Jun 10th 2008, 7:13 am
Logical & Hot Stuff

FlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gingnut
I'm going to defend these parents and teachers. I teach my kids that man and the earth evolved because this is what I believe to be true. Basing my opinion on what I have been taught by sources that I feel are reliable. These people are just teaching these kids how man and the earth were created as truthfully as they can. Basing the opinion on a source that they believe is reliable. The literal word of the bible. Its just a science lesson using a different text book.
Old Jun 10th 2008, 7:02 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Soooo... if I believe that Tepeu and Gucamatz created animals from mud and wood and human beings created from maize dough.... and I believed that my sources for my beliefs were reliable... and I taught these beliefs to children... would I be giving a science lesson?

(Of course not... because science concerns itself with observable physical evidence.)
Old Jun 10th 2008, 7:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

"In heaven all the interesting people are missing".

Nietzsche

So you'll be there...BIATCH!

Last edited by steve666; Jun 10th 2008 at 7:11 pm. Reason: I spelt biatch incorrectly, my son put me right.
Old Jun 10th 2008, 7:40 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

For those struggling with the missing links
They are well documented in the march 1 2008 edition of new scientist
So many to choose from but one example is the evolution of the Synapsids to mammals and how the parts of a synapsids lower jaw gradually evolved into the hammer and anvil in the inner ear

For those looking for more interesting proofs of evolution might like the article “back to their roots” in the 16 June issue discussing the pruning effect evolution has had on species with some nice examples

But a simpler and clearer article on Evolution itself is in the April 19th edition “Evolution a guide for the not-yet perplexed” it covers what evolution is about and what drives the process and many other relevant topics a good read for anybody interested in the subject

I believe most library’s often hold copies and back issues of this magazine

And for those home schooling I would put at the very top of my shopping list a subscription to new scientist, just to stay up to date in this rapidly growing field

The reality is anybody can choose not to believe in evolution, but in light of the over whelming evidence available with which to make a judgement many would point out the other choices tend lack any credibility these days, and believing doesn’t make it right no matter how hard you pray

For what it worth I’m reading Dawking’s book at the moment.
He puts forward a good case why the lack of evidence for a creator (although he accepts it can’t be disproved at the moment) and the significant data that suggest that a creator may not be needed is logical grounds to suggest that the probability of a creators existence is quite low and that in its self is grounds to dismiss the idea

for what its worth I would describe myself as a Agnostic that as I learn and understand more and more is tending to Atheism.
Old Jun 10th 2008, 7:50 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

I'm . Its just a science lesson using a different text book.
But as it requires ‘belief’ and following a dogma…… it is isn't ‘science’

and that’s the problem
Old Jun 10th 2008, 8:01 pm
Property Owner

welshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nice

I think the point is Religion isn't Science and, therefore, can't replace it.

No one knows how the world/universe began as there was no one around to witness it.

Religious people believe that (a) supreme being(s) created the universe and will never change or adapt their opinion on the matter, they base their beliefs on faith.

Scientists believe there are a number of possible explanations regarding the universe coming into existence but with new evidence would rethink their beliefs.

It's a shame that religious folk are intimidated by science and feel the need to attack. At the end of the day a belief in God(s) is no reason to ignore good science.
Old Jun 10th 2008, 8:01 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

We have just had a lady in the bank who has an adopted 2 year old. This little one is very cute and good as gold - but I got incredibly annoyed and had to leave when she started saying to this child

"show everyone how you say your prayers" and proceeded to co-erce said child into putting hands together, closing eyes whilst the mum rambled on about something or other. Not in a cute way but in a way that you just know this ultra religious woman forces down this poor kids neck at every opportunity.

I agree parents have a responsibilty to show children how to behave, act, care, cope, show compassion etc etc, its all about life and respect for it. However my problem starts when parents or indeed anyone start to preach religion to a child who doesn't know what the bloody hell candy floss is let alone "the lord almighty"
Old Jun 10th 2008, 8:07 pm
Property Owner

welshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nice

Just to go off on a tangent, we're covering the (in)correctness of forcing religion on children but what about vegetarians.

A friend of mine from Uni has never eaten meat, his parents are both staunch veggies so he grew up without meat. Now he's away from the folks he can't be convinced that chowing down on dead animal carcass is a good thing.
Old Jun 10th 2008, 8:20 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose that this is the crux of the issue - as adults we have responsibilty to educate children to the best of our ability.

But one persons right is anothers wrong - and neither is "right" it is just what we determine to be for the best as individuals.

If you do believe in God etc, then we were created to live our lives with our free will. And as humans we use that free will everyday to make decisions based upon experience and the need to experience.

Therefore based on that supposition, no-one is right and no-one is wrong, and if you can live your life by those principles you will treat everyone equally and fairly and not pass judgement just because anothers actions or opinions do not agree with your own.

That kinda makes sense in a perfect world! Live your life, experience what you need to be it "good" or "bad" (by general definitions because in an ideal world there is no good or bad just the need to experience) and be true to yourself.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.