Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

I find this sticker offensive.

I find this sticker offensive.

Old Oct 18th 2013, 2:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default I find this sticker offensive.

Im in agreement with Teignbridge Council in Devon on this offensive sticker issue.
http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/437...discrimination
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...g-sticker.html

How dare she display that sticker and cause offence to those non English people living in the UK. Let us not be fooled folks the intent behind that sticker is to say
Look Im an English cab driver who knows their way around and I wont rip you off so hop in.

Can you imagine landing back in Canada and walking outside the terminal and looking for a taxi(cab) displaying a maple leaf with local driver.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 2:29 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I find this sticker offensive.

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Can you imagine landing back in Canada and walking outside the terminal and looking for a taxi(cab) displaying a maple leaf with local driver.
You'd be looking a long time.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 2:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
You'd be looking a long time.
I was waiting for someone else to come up with that.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 2:38 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Im in agreement with Teignbridge Council in Devon on this offensive sticker issue.
http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/437...discrimination
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...g-sticker.html

How dare she display that sticker and cause offence to those non English people living in the UK. Let us not be fooled folks the intent behind that sticker is to say
Look Im an English cab driver who knows their way around and I wont rip you off so hop in.

I thought the subtext was "Get in this cab then you won't have to put up with a stinky foreigner who barely speaks English and will probably rip you off as well" .

I wonder why she didn't use the union flag, or the more local Devon flag?

Edit. What the other drivers should have done would be to get the same stickers. If they all live locally, then they are local drivers.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 2:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bats
I thought the subtext was "Get in this cab then you won't have to put up with a stinky foreigner who barely speaks English and will probably rip you off as well" .

I wonder why she didn't use the union flag, or the more local Devon flag?

Edit. What the other drivers should have done would be to get the same stickers. If they all live locally, then they are local drivers.
Coz its shit It looks like 4 green rectangles or a typical 4 way stop junction with the red stop signs missing I mean Stop/Arret signs.

Last edited by Former Lancastrian; Oct 18th 2013 at 2:46 pm.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 2:48 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I was waiting for someone else to come up with that.
Well, I don't care about the country of origin of the cab driver but I do want someone who has a passing knowledge of the major streets and who can deal with an address expressed in English. I understand the claim that the drivers here may be bad at driving but can swap your kidney at the traffic lights however I don't believe it. They may be foreign "doctors" but only in the sense of holding a doctorate, perhaps of divinity. In any event, who wants surgery from someone who can't find Yonge Street?

Canada needs to stop trying to make surplus academics into taxi drivers and focus on importing people who are already skilled at taxi driving.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 2:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Most cab drivers now invest in a Garmin or Tom Tom GPS. They still have to know how to type in English when they are punching in the street address though.
Plus Yonge St is only 1896 kms in length so you might end up with a hefty cab fare
Old Oct 18th 2013, 3:08 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

There's definitely a subtext to it if it's an English flag. Considering that she's wanting to promote her "local background" a Devon flag would be more suitable. Not that I know what that looks like. Probably a big scone with clotted cream on a blue and green background!
Old Oct 18th 2013, 3:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Shard
There's definitely a subtext to it if it's an English flag. Considering that she's wanting to promote her "local background" a Devon flag would be more suitable. Not that I know what that looks like. Probably a big scone with clotted cream on a blue and green background!
The Devon Flag
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Devon

The scone and clotted cream would look better than the 4 green rectangles
Old Oct 18th 2013, 3:18 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

The Devon Flag

It would. You would think they could be a bit more inventive than that (given that is seems to have been designed in 2003).
Old Oct 18th 2013, 3:38 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

The Devon Flag

It's as exciting as the English flag, presumably subtext free though.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 3:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bats
It's as exciting as the English flag, presumably subtext free though.
If one looks closely at the 2 flags Devon and St Georges Cross they are very similar in design. Both have 4 rectangles and a cross though the Devon flags cross has a black border. Same appearance almost but different colour scheme.
One is offensive the other not as much. Go figure.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 3:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect the council would lose a legal challenge to their stance.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 6:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

KuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, try telling the US that they're not allowed to display their flag in their own country.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 7:05 pm
limey party pooper

Originally Posted by KuroKuro
Wow, try telling the US that they're not allowed to display their flag in their own country.
Americans aren't allowed to deface their flag by writing on it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.