Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

I bought a bottle of wine in my local supermarket today

I bought a bottle of wine in my local supermarket today

Old Apr 1st 2016, 7:16 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default I bought a bottle of wine in my local supermarket today

Bloody brilliant. That is all.
Old Apr 1st 2016, 7:20 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I bought a bottle of wine in my local supermarket today

Originally Posted by Alan2005

BC finally is moving into the 1980s.

Did you have to go through special till?
Old Apr 1st 2016, 7:25 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
BC finally is moving into the 1980s.

Did you have to go through special till?
No, but I had to show some ID.. They had a very nice display as well, almost like being in a Saintsbury's.
Old Apr 1st 2016, 7:33 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

We have liquor store up the road from me that sells decent cut-price beer and wine but only until 11:00pm so you have to plan ahead or wander into the bar next door that serves until 2:00am.
Old Apr 1st 2016, 8:24 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Sobeys near me have been selling wine for yonks, it's in a speacial wine bit near the door
Old Apr 1st 2016, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Sobeys near me have been selling wine for yonks, it's in a speacial wine bit near the door
Well, they only just started it here. They were making a real show of it as well with tastings and free biscuits and chocs.
Old Apr 1st 2016, 9:05 pm

Well, they only just started it here. They were making a real show of it as well with tastings and free biscuits and chocs.
What supermarket?

Our local Urban Fare lets you buy beer and wine to drink while you're having something to eat in their little cafe. They don't even have a fence around it.
Old Apr 1st 2016, 9:36 pm

Was save on foods.

No fence or anything, just a fancy looking aisle. Put the bottle in the trolley with the rest of my groceries and paid for it at the same time like in a civilised country
Old Apr 1st 2016, 9:53 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Have yet to figure out the over regulation of booze in parts if not all of Canada.

But then I grew up in CA where supermarkets and gas stations have sold booze for as long as I can remember.

I think some states even have drive thru liquor stores lile fast food.
Old Apr 1st 2016, 11:15 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Have yet to figure out the over regulation of booze in parts if not all of Canada.But then I grew up in CA where supermarkets and gas stations have sold booze for as long as I can remember.I think some states even have drive thru liquor stores lile fast food.
In Montreal you used to be able to phone the corner store and a kid on a big tricycle would bring your case of quarts of beer and take your empties back for refund every day, and booze was available at the depanneur 24/7. While there is no advantage to buying wine or beer in a grocery store at home, as far as I'm concerned, I recall that when travelling on holidays it was convenient to stock up in one spot in a new city. Generally though we have lots of liquor stores and I know where they are and the selection is better than the booze in the grocery store.
Old Apr 1st 2016, 11:25 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

How was the selection compared to the liquor store?

One of the Superstores here has been selling wine for a couple of years but it's a long way from a bit of everything that you find in the liquor store.

Apart from the Rosé which you can't really go wrong with (if you don't mind it) I don't find the selection tempting.
Old Apr 1st 2016, 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK
How was the selection compared to the liquor store?

One of the Superstores here has been selling wine for a couple of years but it's a long way from a bit of everything that you find in the liquor store.

Apart from the Rosé which you can't really go wrong with (if you don't mind it) I don't find the selection tempting.
There's a decent enough selection, certainly big enough if you are only buying a few bottles for your weekly plonk. There's a BC liquor store near by which does have a bigger selection, and also has booze that isn't wine.

Still, I'm hoping this means that the writing is on the wall when it comes to getting rid of the LCBC. Nobody wants them around apart from the union and a few puritan crazy people.
Old Apr 1st 2016, 11:59 pm

There's a decent enough selection, certainly big enough if you are only buying a few bottles for your weekly plonk. There's a BC liquor store near by which does have a bigger selection, and also has booze that isn't wine.

Still, I'm hoping this means that the writing is on the wall when it comes to getting rid of the LCBC. Nobody wants them around apart from the union and a few puritan crazy people.
Nah, they won't give up on that cash cow. They just open the valve now and again to let off a bit of steam hoping to lessen the demand for comprehensive reform.
Old Apr 2nd 2016, 12:09 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

They are supposed to be starting that in Ontario too, or maybe have in the past few weeks. The wine selling Magnumpi refers to is a concession booth in the supermarket that only sells from one winery. Total pain as you have to stop with all your bags and or cart and sort out money. I'd rather head to the LCBO and have some choice.
Old Apr 2nd 2016, 12:11 am

Originally Posted by Oink
Nah, they won't give up on that cash cow. They just open the valve now and again to let off a bit of steam hoping to lessen the demand for comprehensive reform.
Well, I'm hoping this is the slippery slope. BC wine now, maybe a few poncy local craft beers in a year or two, etc, etc.

Anyway, this is literally the best thing to happen in BC for ages. The people in the liquor stores are bloody miserable and they always have stupid tip jars with a single toonie in. I've never seen anyone fall for this transparent priming though; maybe that's why they are miserable.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.