British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Hurricane Dorian (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/hurricane-dorian-927742/)

scilly Sep 7th 2019 6:22 pm

Hurricane Dorian

I'm hoping that everyone in Atlantic Canada will be safe now that Dorian is landing.

My daughter is hunkering down as Hurricane Dorian is arriving this morning as a direct hit on the Halifax and eastern (Atlantic) side of NS. The winds were already high at 7 am this morning their time.

It is expected to be either a low Category 2 or high Category 1 when it arrives .......... which actually means only a few mph difference in the strength of the winds.

They had another Category 2 hurricane, Juan, land as a direct hit 17 years ago, and it did horrific damage so hoping this is not as bad. Daughter and OH were then living in an apartment and were without power for about a week, while other people were power-less for about 3 weeks. Daughter lost a lot of frozen meat as they had just stocked up their small freezer on their monthly shop-in.

Daughter is as well prepared as they can be ............. lots of food, propane for the BBQ, emergency supplies, everything brought in from outside, etc. Just hoping their car and tent trailer will be OK. They have been told that power could be out for 2-3 days, so currently have the BBQ in the kitchen so it won't blow away, then they will move it back to the patio so they can cook hot food after the hurricane has blown through, hopefully tomorrow.

She's just emailed me to say that power is fluctuating (ca 2 pm their time), so they were stopping all contact to save their cell phone batteries for emergency.

BristolUK Sep 7th 2019 7:04 pm

Re: Hurricane Dorian

Chucking it down with a bit of wind for the moment. We took the gazebo down Thursday.

Uh oh...getting really windy now.

MillieF Sep 7th 2019 8:34 pm

I know that whatever weather we get here, we normally get it in spades, but this really does seem torrential...it’s coming down like a huge sheet of water that the guttering can’t begin to cope with. We are only on the edge of it, so heaven help those in the middle. God knows what the Highway is like...a good night to stay home safe:unsure: Halifax looks bad.

scilly Sep 7th 2019 8:49 pm

I heard on the 1 pm news that Dorian has been upgraded to Category 2, but the winds are still strengthening as it gets closer. The eye is expected to be over Halifax within the next few hours.

Stay safe you guys!

spouse of scouse Sep 7th 2019 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by scilly (Post 12732944)
I'm hoping that everyone in Atlantic Canada will be safe now that Dorian is landing.

My daughter is hunkering down as Hurricane Dorian is arriving this morning as a direct hit on the Halifax and eastern (Atlantic) side of NS. The winds were already high at 7 am this morning their time.

It is expected to be either a low Category 2 or high Category 1 when it arrives .......... which actually means only a few mph difference in the strength of the winds.

They had another Category 2 hurricane, Juan, land as a direct hit 17 years ago, and it did horrific damage so hoping this is not as bad. Daughter and OH were then living in an apartment and were without power for about a week, while other people were power-less for about 3 weeks. Daughter lost a lot of frozen meat as they had just stocked up their small freezer on their monthly shop-in.

Daughter is as well prepared as they can be ............. lots of food, propane for the BBQ, emergency supplies, everything brought in from outside, etc. Just hoping their car and tent trailer will be OK. They have been told that power could be out for 2-3 days, so currently have the BBQ in the kitchen so it won't blow away, then they will move it back to the patio so they can cook hot food after the hurricane has blown through, hopefully tomorrow.

She's just emailed me to say that power is fluctuating (ca 2 pm their time), so they were stopping all contact to save their cell phone batteries for emergency.

Such a worry for you scilly, I hope your daughter and everyone else is ok.
Wishing all our BE members in the area the best of British (because continual drizzle and grey skies is far preferable to what you're going through at the moment!)

scilly Sep 7th 2019 9:35 pm

Thank you, spouse.

I don't know what is worst ........... just sitting here and hoping while occupying myself with other things, OR searching around for information!

There has already been damage in Halifax ........

........... some idiot left a very large crane on top of a high building that was still under construction.

As one might expect, the very high winds have caused the crane to buckle, break in half as it struck the edge of the roof, and dangle down into the street below. Luckily one half missed hitting a nearby occupied apartment building by what looks like a fairly small distance.

Trees are down all over the place, and both bridges across the harbour from Halifax to Dartmouth are closed, partly because they are inaccessible. Bu I would think they might be swinging a little bit, having crossed them many times!

spouse of scouse Sep 7th 2019 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by scilly (Post 12733003)
Thank you, spouse.

I don't know what is worst ........... just sitting here and hoping while occupying myself with other things, OR searching around for information!

There has already been damage in Halifax ........

........... some idiot left a very large crane on top of a high building that was still under construction.

As one might expect, the very high winds have caused the crane to buckle, break in half as it struck the edge of the roof, and dangle down into the street below. Luckily one half missed hitting a nearby occupied apartment building by what looks like a fairly small distance.

Trees are down all over the place, and both bridges across the harbour from Halifax to Dartmouth are closed, partly because they are inaccessible. Bu I would think they might be swinging a little bit, having crossed them many times!

Sounds pretty bad scilly :( Can't believe a crane was left like that, there must have been enough warning of the hurricane's path to remove it! Sounds like the people in the apartment building were very lucky.

I think I'd be searching for info more than trying to occupy myself with something else, hard to concentrate on anything with that worry hanging over you. Although trying to do something else 'might' take your mind off it a little.

:fingerscrossed:

scilly Sep 7th 2019 10:09 pm

sos ......

they did get plenty of warning that Dorian was on the way!!!

That's why I called them 'Idiots"!

I distracted myself for the last few minutes watching the score at the US Open ............ I was rooting for the Canadian youngster, and she did it!!!

spouse of scouse Sep 7th 2019 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by scilly (Post 12733012)
sos ......

they did get plenty of warning that Dorian was on the way!!!

That's why I called them 'Idiots"!

I distracted myself for the last few minutes watching the score at the US Open ............ I was rooting for the Canadian youngster, and she did it!!!

Idiots is a good description for them scilly. Hopefully the person/people responsible will get the book thrown at them, it was only luck that stopped a disaster.

Good on Bianca for winning against Serena, she's a great player with a wonderful future.

scilly Sep 7th 2019 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12733013)
Idiots is a good description for them scilly. Hopefully the person/people responsible will get the book thrown at them, it was only luck that stopped a disaster.

Good on Bianca for winning against Serena, she's a great player with a wonderful future.

They should get the book thrown at them. Here's hoping!

scrubbedexpat091 Sep 7th 2019 11:24 pm

Can those sorts of cranes be dismantled quickly for a storm?

dbd33 Sep 7th 2019 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12733020)
Can those sorts of cranes be dismantled quickly for a storm?

I have the idea that they can't be dismantled at all, the building goes up around the crane and the structure of the crane becomes the lift shaft. Not that it would matter, if a crane clonked you on the head, whether or not it could have been moved.

BristolUK Sep 8th 2019 12:39 am

We lost power around 7.00pm. Back on 9.30pm. :thumbup:

Flogger Sep 8th 2019 1:01 am

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12733026)

lost power around 4 . expected to be back on by Tuesday

spouse of scouse Sep 8th 2019 1:10 am

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12733026)

That wasn't too bad, just enough time for a romantic candlelight dinner :thumbup: