Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

How well did you know Canada before you moved there?

How well did you know Canada before you moved there?

Old Aug 22nd 2007, 3:53 pm
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How well did you know Canada before you moved there?

Originally Posted by Steve_P
And I, sacrilegious auld git that I am like weak instant coffee.
You truly are the Devil Incarnate.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 3:53 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Madmac

Let's not get me wrong here: I like a cup of TH's coloured hot water with my Dutchie.
At least you get to have a Dutchie.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 3:54 pm

You truly are the Devil Incarnate.
Coming from you I'll take that as a compliment.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 3:57 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

You've been here faaaaaaaaar toooooooo lonnnnnnnnnng!

Remember, I'm still in the 'Convert pounds to dollars' mode. A decent coffee at say Costa's coffee back home would set you back almost 4 pounds.

So a large Americano at the Red Brick Cafe for $2.50 is the price I pay for lovely tasting coffee and I'm willing to accept that as I only drink one cup a day.

Let's not get me wrong here: I like a cup of TH's coloured hot water with my Dutchie.
Where's the Red Brick Cafe? I have to work in Guelph over the winter and the Bagel Schmagel, where I used to go for coffee, has closed.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 3:57 pm

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

Obviously, as it's my perogative to bestow demonic status. I am Evil after all.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33
Where's the Red Brick Cafe? I have to work in Guelph over the winter and the Bagel Schmagel, where I used to go for coffee, has closed.
Douglas Street. Look for the Scotia bank on the corner, at the main downtown square. It's to the right and behind that, on the corner of the Red Brick building.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 3:59 pm

Getting back to the original question.

Although I had been here for a eight month period six years prior to coming out in 1963 that eight month period was when I was nine years old and I don't remember much about it.

So in reality I knew nothing of Canada before I arrived.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 4:02 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

I made a number of trips here in the 4 years prior to migrating and visited Vancouver (twice), Calgary, Hamilton, Oakville, TO (several times), Ottawa (twice), Montreal (several times), Trois Rivieres (once is enough), Quebec City and Halifax. If nothing else, I had a reasonable idea of what much of the country looks like. I was also surrounded by Canadians at work, so I had a fair idea of what they looked like.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 4:04 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Coffee comments aside

We had a 5 night Honeymoon trip to Toronto/Niagra in 2003 and after we put our PR application in a 14 night RV around the rockies recce in 2004.

At the time we only had tv internet which was barely usable due to the cost, so I just read travel guides to Canada.

Now I'll have a vente non fat non sugar extra hot vanilla latte or if I'm being really bad I'll have a vanilla moolatte - surley that counts as a coffee?
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 4:04 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Douglas Street. Look for the Scotia bank on the corner, at the main downtown square. It's to the right and behind that, on the corner of the Red Brick building.
Thanks.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 4:07 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Two trips over, one for a job interview so I guess that was after my PR application went in, and one 3 week holiday which again was after my PR application went in. Also had a brief trip for the job I eventually obtained.

So I guess the answer is none.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 4:09 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Now I'll have a vente non fat non sugar extra hot vanilla latte or if I'm being really bad I'll have a vanilla moolatte - surley that counts as a coffee?
Im not so sure. I see lots of words there, but none of them look like "coffee"

Do you drink that, or apply it sparingly in the hope that it prevent wrinkles?
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 4:10 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I (we) first came here for the very first time in 1982 for what was supposed to be a six month wait while our US Green Cards came through.

They never did.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 4:17 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Im not so sure. I see lots of words there, but none of them look like "coffee"

Do you drink that, or apply it sparingly in the hope that it prevent wrinkles?

It's the only way I can handle the bitter stuff here.....I find either really weak or really bitter so making it into a milkshake type thing is the best way to go!

My wrinkles are past sparing
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 4:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

We had two 3-week holidays crossing British Columbia and Alberta in 1995 and 1997.

8 years later we put in the PR application.

Then I thought I'd better check out the winter months, so we had a 2-week holiday/ski-ing/recce trip and winter was OK afterall.

Then we came back and did another 2-week holiday/ski-ing/job interviews trip last December (winter was still OK).

Then we moved over here in May. Waiting to see what winter is really like.

So far, I feel like we've picked the right place - but I am looking forward to exploring other provinces in due course - if only to blag a beer out of you lot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.