Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

How much to tip hairdresser?

How much to tip hairdresser?

Old Jan 19th 2020, 1:59 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much to tip hairdresser?

Originally Posted by Kooky.
You're telling me. Cut and colour, including a 20% tip (and I did my research before starting this), costs me USD360 every 5 weeks.

I would most certainly never ever go to your salon. That is outrageous for a cut and dye job. Normally it is no more than $100.
Old Jan 19th 2020, 3:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's all about knowing the value of a dollar, what it took for you to earn it and have you gotten value on your purchase....some of the prices quoted above would have me looking for a pudding bowl and scissors......
Old Jan 19th 2020, 4:35 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macadian
I think it's all about knowing the value of a dollar, what it took for you to earn it and have you gotten value on your purchase. .....
Which is the same reason, but at the other end of the scale, why I, and per above, some other people, tip very heavily on our very cheap haircuts.
Old Jan 19th 2020, 4:44 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macadian
I think it's all about knowing the value of a dollar, what it took for you to earn it and have you gotten value on your purchase....some of the prices quoted above would have me looking for a pudding bowl and scissors......
That is true. Took about 2 hours of labor at work to earn enough to get a haircut (pre-tax/deductions) slightly longer once taxes/deductions are account for, currently with my wife's job would take her about 3 hours. And my haircut is only $40. I personally don't feel that haircuts are worth that much labor so I only get like 2 a year.

I do that a lot with things, is this item worth 8 hours of working to get? No not really. When you put things into how long it will take to earn enough to buy, it can help sway your decision. $200 doesn't seem like much these days, but it would take my wife 15 hours at work to earn that, so it takes a considerable amount of time to get it even though $200 doesn't go far these days.

When I was working took almost 100 hours just to earn enough for rent. Crazy how much labor it takes to get a fairly small return back.
Old Jan 19th 2020, 6:04 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
There are a significant number of women in the US who spend $600+/mth on their hair, and $1,000 isn't unheard of. That cost might include wigs and wig maintenance.
I am sure. Mine's straight-forward - cut and foils - it's the going rate, it's just the 20% tip that takes some getting used to.

Originally Posted by Rete
I would most certainly never ever go to your salon. That is outrageous for a cut and dye job. Normally it is no more than $100.
Lucky you, but my comment was about tipping. However I paid similar in Singapore, I paid similar in Sydney, I looked around before I moved to Seattle and it would seem these are just big(ish) city prices. In Sydney, dollar for dollar, I paid almost exactly the same as I do now. But there I followed the salon owner from the place he used to work, he's a friend, and I didn't tip every time I went but gave cards with decent money for Christmas, weddings, took in champagne, sent flowers to individuals, etc. None of which was expected but was appreciated, and I also knew where my money was going.
Old Jan 19th 2020, 7:10 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

A bunch of flowers and a good seeing to seems to keep her quiet and happy ......

The Mrs cuts my hair
Old Jan 20th 2020, 4:54 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alex2201
A bunch of flowers and a good seeing to seems to keep her quiet and happy ......

The Mrs cuts my hair
I always wanted to marry a hair stylist so I could have my hair done every day.

I used to buzz my husband's hair but he prefers to pay somebody so he doesn't have to do the cleaning up. The barber in Pike Place Market even vacuums his head.
Old Jan 31st 2020, 8:26 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Harley just cut my hair in return for a hearty thank you! I look a little less homeless now and will look spiffy in my new fedora from the thrift shop.