Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

How much to tip hairdresser?

How much to tip hairdresser?

Old Jan 16th 2020, 7:00 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much to tip hairdresser?

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
I have longer hair but most of the time I just want to get my ends cut off and to have a tidy up.

No highlights, nothing fancy just the ends cut so why should I have to pay $50+ for that
My stepdaughter just has that done. Doesn't seem to be a problem for a cheap cut in these parts. My MIL goes to the same place (First Choice - like the old travel agents in England ) and her cut is a bit more involved. When she had a major cut last time she said "is that all?" when they told her how much.

She happily paid them double.

I've not paid for a cut since the 90s and it was £5 for a buzz. Now I buzz myself.
Old Jan 16th 2020, 7:05 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
... Now I buzz myself.

Old Jan 16th 2020, 7:22 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't tip much $3-$4 or so, but I am not getting a wash/dry/etc just a simple cut, takes her about 15 minutes.

They charge a premium for a mens haircut over most places so the higher the cost of the basic service the less likely I am to tip well.

Old Jan 16th 2020, 7:22 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I think the price on the board is $18. I give the barber $25. I'm not really tipping for the number 2 but for being out in 10 minutes.
Old Jan 16th 2020, 9:12 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I get our front desk guy to cut mine in the bar for nothing, takes him 10 minutes or so and I keep the clippers in my locker. He doesn't do quite the job our last front desk guy did, but I'm not telling him that, and his skill at designing posters and web site make up for it.
Old Jan 17th 2020, 2:27 am
BE Enthusiast

sid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
...... She isn't Vietnamese, if that is relevant.
There may be some relevance, as I quite favour this look at the $8 price point:
Vietnamese Haircut, Iraq Zach

Now I think about it, in the past I may have returned the $2 change to the hairdresser as a tip, so she is saving us both the palaver of handing $2 back and forth. So, a 25% tip.

I am not in general a big fan of percentages when it comes to tips. The tip should be a fixed amount based on service received, not a percentage. When my son visits, he insists we go to the most expensive restaurant in town, and he selects the most expensive dish on the menu - as I recall last time it was New Zealand Quail Burger in some fancy sauce - knowing full well that I am expected to pay the bill. It irritates me that I have to tip a percentage on a big bill, when the service we receive is just the same as we get in Denny's.

Old Jan 17th 2020, 5:00 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

If it's the salon owner no tip. If it's someone who rents a chair then I tip depending on the cost of what I've had done. Last year I was visiting Canada and went to the hairdresser - the salon owner is my niece's best friend but I saw someone else. Colour, foils and cut was $180 so I gave her $200.
Old Jan 17th 2020, 2:02 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Been to Europe often enough to know about the tipping procedures for wait staff. However, never clear on personal service staff, i.e. hair dressers, etc. Is it normal not to tip?

If I go to have a haircut, like I am this morning, the cut is $20 and I will give a $5 tip. If I go for a cut and highlights the bill is $80 and I will give her a $100 which is a $20 tip. It might seem like a lot but there is more involved. For example, the high/low lights require a lot of manual labor in selecting, dyeing and wrapping the strands, followed by the unwrapping, blending and washing and conditioning the hair. After that it is having the hair cut, blown dried and then styled with a curling iron in my case. I see that Dorothy only left a $20 on a $180 charge and that is a reasonable amount just about 16%. I would have given her $25. But that is me.

Hubby's haircut is $15 and he gives him a $5 tip.

I have difficulties with the nail salon. I always think I under tip there but I feel if the service is good, tip well as I'm a repeat customer. If the service is crappy, I only give a small tip and ask for someone else when I go to the same nail salon.

Last edited by Rete; Jan 17th 2020 at 2:05 pm.
Old Jan 18th 2020, 9:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

15% across the board, though I think the whole standard tip giving concept in North America is rediculous. But when in Rome etc....
Old Jan 19th 2020, 12:04 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

When you treat your mum to a nice hair cut at Great Clips.

Old Jan 19th 2020, 12:05 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macadian
15% across the board, though I think the whole standard tip giving concept in North America is rediculous. But when in Rome etc....
You're telling me. Cut and colour, including a 20% tip (and I did my research before starting this), costs me USD360 every 5 weeks.
Old Jan 19th 2020, 1:16 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kooky.
You're telling me. Cut and colour, including a 20% tip (and I did my research before starting this), costs me USD360 every 5 weeks.
There are a significant number of women in the US who spend $600+/mth on their hair, and $1,000 isn't unheard of. That cost might include wigs and wig maintenance.
Old Jan 19th 2020, 1:46 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

There are a significant number of women in the US who spend $600+/mth on their hair, and $1,000 isn't unheard of. That cost might include wigs and wig maintenance.

What do we guess President Trump (or the US taxpayer) spends on his do?

(I can guess the tip)
Old Jan 19th 2020, 2:59 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kooky.

It actually depends on where in a city you have your hair cut. Move to a suburb, even one close to the centre of the city, and charges drop significantly.

One of my friends had her hair cut, shampooed and blow dried for years in downtown Vancouver. $80 was the least she paid, tip on top of that.

Last year she started to go to another hairdresser in our neighbourhood which is about 8 km from the downtown area, same thing, equally good, now costs her $40 + $10 tip ....... so basically half the price.

I go to another hairdresser in the same neighbourhood, I pay the same price, give the same tip. My hairdresser is the owner of the salon with her husband. I always tip her and OH tips him when he has his hair cut (no shampoo, no blowdry).
Old Jan 19th 2020, 5:20 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

My wife has really thin hair and we went to look at natural hair wigs, holy moly were they ever expensive. Synthetic are cheaper but don't look natural and retain too much, talking in excess of $1,000 on the low end. Can't recall how much maintenance was involved or how long it was expected to last, some other non-wig options that look more natural were 3,000+ and required expensive updates through the year at like $400+ a pop.

And here I complain about my $40 haircut.. But I don't pay extra for the shampoo (10 up-charge) I just wash it at home before going in.

I hate haircuts and very self conscious about my scalp so I get like 2 a year on average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.