Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

How much to house-build or modular home?

How much to house-build or modular home?

Old Nov 15th 2020, 6:23 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default How much to house-build or modular home?

The small house next door to us, after being unoccupied for many years, was eventually demolished.

The land is now for sale for $35,000.

Anyone have any idea how much a 2 or 3 bedroom modular home would cost along with the other costs and connection to services etc?
Old Nov 15th 2020, 7:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much to house-build or modular home?

$35K...that wouldn’t buy you a parking space in a condo building here.
Old Nov 15th 2020, 7:44 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
$35K...that wouldn’t buy you a parking space in a condo building here.
Won't get you a parking stall in Vancouver either, cheapest parking stall listed is 45,000.

If 55+ can get this beauty in Kelowna for a bit over 35,000.
Old Nov 15th 2020, 7:45 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

These folks might be able to give you a rough idea.

Was it a blue house that used to be there?

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Nov 15th 2020 at 7:48 pm.
Old Nov 15th 2020, 10:20 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Some them are really nice inside. I had a three week stint of showing people round these things a few years back. They were lovely. I used to go up in the morning, open them up and heat them etc, and then wait for people to come...I think we had 8 different models from ‘tiny home’ to ‘weekend cottage with detached garage’. At the time, we hadn’t been here long, and my son popped up to see me and couldn’t believe we had ever bought the house we now live in, as opposed to buying a modular, as they seem to be problem free and warm, as opposed to where we live now, which has been constant work...but I like it.

We plan, if life gets back to any sort of normalcy, to build a modular home in France.

That’s happening a lot here now, you plough down the old and replace it with the new.
Old Nov 15th 2020, 10:41 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I found lots of sites like that. Like insurance quotes they're never keen on giving out info without details.
I find plenty of listings for around $40,000 but they're always on permanent sites way out of town and sometimes not with own water.

Originally, yes. You spying on me?
Old Nov 15th 2020, 11:03 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I found lots of sites like that. Like insurance quotes they're never keen on giving out info without details.
I find plenty of listings for around $40,000 but they're always on permanent sites way out of town and sometimes not with own water.

Originally, yes. You spying on me?

I think modular homes are supposed to be cheaper vs building onsite, but I don't know for sure, just seen comments over the years about it.

Nah, I was curious about the lot, and looked on realtor, then google to see what the neighborhood looked like, looks clean and quiet from the photo, although the real estate agent should be less lazy and at least go take a photo of the lot, the listing I saw only had a map and not much else, but then maybe the commission on 35k is too low to fuss with....lol

Old Nov 16th 2020, 3:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
These folks might be able to give you a rough idea.

With R2 zoning which in many places means a single or a semi or a duplex. $35 k is a steal in any urban centre for a property on municipal services etc.
Old Nov 16th 2020, 3:51 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
With R2 zoning which in many places means a single or a semi or a duplex. $35 k is a steal in any urban centre for a property on municipal services etc.
Looked like a good deal to me, but then I am in 1 million dollar lot territory......where a vacant city lot in Vancouver can be 1 million, and a parking spot can be 50k +

Old Nov 16th 2020, 5:19 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

The small house next door to us, after being unoccupied for many years, was eventually demolished.

Anyone have any idea how much a 2 or 3 bedroom modular home would cost along with the other costs and connection to services etc?
https://www.canadaprefab.ca/Pricing.php
https://www.moneycrashers.com/buildi...me-types-cost/
Comfort Homes

Old Nov 16th 2020, 12:53 pm
Oscar nominated

Thanks. That's not cheap. It might seem like it is in the rest of Canada

I have in mind the stepkids. When me and MIL are not here anymore I really can't see their income (which is only one income) covering the expenses of this house. The house is also unnecessarily large for two. Downsizing is obvious. We're in a great area, convenient for everything

I see one cabin at $52k and then it jumps to $71k. So that's $87k or $106k. With the excavation/foundation and other costs I think it would be better to buy the usual...albeit not that many around. As a comparison, they could have had my duplex for $69k and that after all the renos done. Admittedly that was a buyer's market with the high rental vacancy rates at the time. But it was well situated with the option of renting part out.

I was just thinking that next door couldn't me more 'same area' and SD would still have a garden, much lower costs, moving would be easy and a chunk of money in the bank.

This year, a house (previously rented out) went for $58k in our street. I think it was advertised as 4 or 5 bedrooms, though only 1 bathroom. Obviously I have no idea what it was like inside but they're not knocking it down (like one over the back for $45k) so it can't be that bad. So far they've done new siding and windows. If it was bad inside I can't imagine they'd tart up the outside.

Old Nov 16th 2020, 2:07 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Have you considered a shipping container house build?

This YT series goes through the entire process.

Old Nov 16th 2020, 2:12 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Danny B
Have you considered a shipping container house build?
Actually, I could put one of those at the side of the house. They could live in it and rent out the house.

Come to think of it I could put them in it now. Are they soundproofed so I wouldn't hear the screams?
Old Nov 16th 2020, 2:33 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

There are major differences within this sector, you tend to think about the Trailer parks but there is a lot to be said about manufacturing in a controlled environment and then assembling on site, I have seen some pretty high end houses constructed that way.
Old Nov 16th 2020, 3:00 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

If it were the States since the utilities are already there and just need to be connected, that will eliminate some costs. You can buy a brand new modular home with setup included for approximately $25K to $45K

https://www.titanhomeshattiesburg.com/

Last edited by Rete; Nov 16th 2020 at 3:05 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.