Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

How much $$$ for your cell/mobile service ?

How much $$$ for your cell/mobile service ?

Old May 6th 2021, 4:16 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much $$$ for your cell/mobile service ?

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
What I am learning is that if you want to use convenience with other things in life then you are slowly being forced/advised to get a smart phone. Sorry we won't let you download that app especially on an iMac desktop. Even my youngest was bitching because I decided to use the vehicles on board map rather than the route displayed on his phone. Guess what the vehicle map got me there. Got yourself a new sound bar or some other appliance well unless you have their app downloaded on your phone then you will have difficulty in setting up certain things on it.

I can totally see having one when driving and running into trouble in the middle of nowhere but if no cell coverage then aren't you screwed unless someone stops to help you? I have no idea how reliable my vehicles on board help function would be in this situation.
Yes, that's right. Mobile phone based apps and identity confirmation are becoming non-optional.
Old May 6th 2021, 4:19 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Why? I've had on for about 7 years now. I don't live on my phone and use it only if completely necessary. I don't drive and talk, though I do have bluetooth. Would never think of texting while driving or while with other people. Consider that the ultimate rudeness. Our two phone plan in the US is $99 per month. unlimited calling to US and Canada and texting.
Because I'm an anti-social so and so I do have a smart phone and a good plan, including unlimited calls to the UK, but - I dunno, I just don't like being available all the time. So it spends most of its time switched off! Maybe it's a hangover from years of working and having to be on-call 24/7.
Old May 6th 2021, 4:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Yes, that's right. Mobile phone based apps and identity confirmation are becoming non-optional.
I used the I am being discriminated against excuse the other day when asked in a store if I had found everything I needed. I pointed out that I couldn't get the extra 5% off an item as I don't carry a cell phone for the QR code discount. No problem Sir we have you covered. So what was the point?
Old May 6th 2021, 4:54 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
I used the I am being discriminated against excuse the other day when asked in a store if I had found everything I needed. I pointed out that I couldn't get the extra 5% off an item as I don't carry a cell phone for the QR code discount. No problem Sir we have you covered. So what was the point?
The QR code probably gives them your profile and first born.
Old May 6th 2021, 6:14 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Because I'm an anti-social so and so I do have a smart phone and a good plan, including unlimited calls to the UK, but - I dunno, I just don't like being available all the time. So it spends most of its time switched off! Maybe it's a hangover from years of working and having to be on-call 24/7.
I am basically the same, I keep the ringer turned off 24/7 pretty much, and rarely answer the phone, and just let it go to voice mail, but nobody of interest ever calls, 90% scammers, 9% MIL and maybe 1% for me, maybe, probably way less....unless the doctors office is calling for me, pretty much nobody else does.

Old May 6th 2021, 6:21 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I am basically the same, I keep the ringer turned off 24/7 pretty much, and rarely answer the phone, and just let it go to voice mail, but nobody of interest ever calls, 90% scammers, 9% MIL and maybe 1% for me, maybe, probably way less....unless the doctors office is calling for me, pretty much nobody else does.
Do you have a landline ?
Old May 6th 2021, 6:22 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Only reason I have a cell phone really, society has forced it upon me, between 2 factor authentication, often now paid parking wont accept cash and an app is needed to pay, last job I had the only way to access our work schedule, payroll, etc was via an app on a smart phone, no web option.

I went a long time without a smart phone but eventually had to cave in especially when companies went to 2 factor and only accept a cell phone number and text eliminating the email option to authenticate.

Old May 6th 2021, 6:22 pm
Account Closed

Do you have a landline ?
Not anymore no, we had one for a couple years as it was $10/month with our internet/cable package but we never used it so we got rid of it.
Old May 6th 2021, 6:39 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Not anymore no, we had one for a couple years as it was $10/month with our internet/cable package but we never used it so we got rid of it.
We still have one, at one point it was a requirement for having the TV/Internet bundle, but I should probably look into whether that's the case. Very few important calls come in on it.
Old May 6th 2021, 7:20 pm
Account Closed

We still have one, at one point it was a requirement for having the TV/Internet bundle, but I should probably look into whether that's the case. Very few important calls come in on it.
It's how we ended up with it for so long, at one point cable + internet was more per month than cable+internet+phone so made sense to take the landline offer to pay less. But we hardly used it, and often had no phone plug in to the jack.
Old May 6th 2021, 10:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

What about guys like me who don't have a Facebook, Twitter or Instagram account and so many companies communicate that way. I feel like a luddite at times but there is so much caustic narcissistic crap on those platforms I don't feel I"m missing out on much
Old May 6th 2021, 10:17 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
What about guys like me who don't have a Facebook, Twitter or Instagram account
It must be hard to get a job now without having some sort of social media presence. How would a prospective employer check for inappropriate affliations?
Old May 6th 2021, 10:29 pm
Account Closed

What about guys like me who don't have a Facebook, Twitter or Instagram account and so many companies communicate that way. I feel like a luddite at times but there is so much caustic narcissistic crap on those platforms I don't feel I"m missing out on much
I have a FB but and while I have a twitter and IG account, I never use them or post anything, and rarely check them.

I have a linkedin but find it a pretty useless website so I never use it for anything.
Old May 6th 2021, 10:34 pm
Yo

You're definitely not missing out. I like Instagram for photos, but after being on it a couple of years, I feel like I've seen every fantastic view and every trendy cafe on the planet. Literally. Twitter appears to be the preserve of journos, politicians and media folk. FB no idea.
Old May 7th 2021, 1:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
It must be hard to get a job now without having some sort of social media presence. How would a prospective employer check for inappropriate affliations?
Being self employed and with enough stuff to keep me going helps. I have Linkedin but I sometimes wonder about people with 500 + contacts who seem to spend a lot of time 'liking' what looks like advertorials on Linkedin. They seem to collect contacts on Linkedin like Panini stickers.

I know of many people who have had their Twitter, Instagram, FB scoured by prospective employers. My name is quite standard so that wouldn't help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.