Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

How many beans are in this tin?

Wikiposts

How many beans are in this tin?

Old Apr 22nd 2011, 4:39 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How many beans are in this tin?

I think you're creating a false duality by only counting the beans. They have other qualities, like taste, texture and of course social implications of consumption. You maths people only see the world one way, that Descartes fellow has a lot to answer for.
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 3:06 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Around here beans are refried, the resultant paste must contain more beans per cubic inch than the whole, or nearly whole, offerings from Heinz. I'd be interested to compare but need a method for reconstituting the refried beans, would sculpting be adequate?
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 3:13 am
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Does a partial bean count as a "bean" in this context, or are we to total up all the half beans and give a grand total as it were (which is going to make totaling them up harder for the bean counter!)

Enquiring minds need to know.

As usual google has the answer... 375 beany bites, or if you prefer method B 355 total beans, give or take.

Or 557.
Are'nt there any Accountants (Bean Counters) reading this forum ?
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 10:28 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flashman
Are'nt there any Accountants (Bean Counters) reading this forum ?
Actually counting the beans, is the work of a 7 year old, who I'm pleased to see hasn't yet accomplished the task.

This is because I've just figured out the error in my result. The problem is that the prolate spheroid beans can't pack as efficiently as spheres. Doh.

Back in 1921 there was a paper on this topic concerned with X-ray powder crystallography, which I remember reading at the time. Here's the link....

http://prola.aps.org/abstract/PR/v17/i5/p571_1

Basically, the close packed spheroids align so as to occupy a volume with average spacings equal to approximately twice their minor diameter times 1.5 their major diameter.

This means that the effective volume occupied by each bean, compared to their physical volume needs to be increased by 2x2x1.5 = 6. So my earlier, extremely naive, estimate needs to be appropriately reduced from 4009 to 668.

And that's gotta be right.

You can open that tin now and confirm my triumph of intellect over BE junk food.

Edit: Oh, and in passing, may I rubbish the analogies to Schroedinger's Cat?

This issue there is whether the cat is alive or dead, not whether the cat is still in there.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Apr 23rd 2011 at 10:31 am.
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 10:36 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

I have an old university accomplice who is the Financial Controller for Heinz near Manchester. A Bean Counter in every sense......

Therefore I am declaring myself out of the competition due to having the availability of inside knowledge.
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 10:49 am
Pictou County Superstar™

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

My bad, I should have posted the other day that the lunchtime phrase "Daddy, I'm hungry" caused an event that meant the bean tin was opened and the contents were soon after consumed.

All is not lost though, prior to eating, I spread the beans out on three plates and photographed them. I also took a photo of the inside of the can as there was a long-ways half bean stuck in the bottom of it.

I'll post them up so we can all count them to ensure an accurate total.

Having eaten a plate of them, lucky me (that I had some rantidine in the cupboard ready for the aftermath of such an adventure), I suspect your new estimate of 668 is probably very close.

I'll upload the pics from the camera after I gave the beef curry a big stir.

Oh, I also believe "prolate spheroid" is not really a very accurate mathematical description of the objects that came out of the tin. More like the offspring of Mrs. Prolate Spheroid and Mr. Amorphous Blob-Randomly-Divided. If there's specific mathematic terminology to describe such an object I, as well as at least one other forum member, will be well-impressed.

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Actually counting the beans, is the work of a 7 year old, who I'm pleased to see hasn't yet accomplished the task.

This is because I've just figured out the error in my result. The problem is that the prolate spheroid beans can't pack as efficiently as spheres. Doh.

Back in 1921 there was a paper on this topic concerned with X-ray powder crystallography, which I remember reading at the time. Here's the link....

http://prola.aps.org/abstract/PR/v17/i5/p571_1

Basically, the close packed spheroids align so as to occupy a volume with average spacings equal to approximately twice their minor diameter times 1.5 their major diameter.

This means that the effective volume occupied by each bean, compared to their physical volume needs to be increased by 2x2x1.5 = 6. So my earlier, extremely naive, estimate needs to be appropriately reduced from 4009 to 668.

And that's gotta be right.

You can open that tin now and confirm my triumph of intellect over BE junk food.
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 10:50 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
I have an old university accomplice who is the Financial Controller for Heinz near Manchester. A Bean Counter in every sense......

Therefore I am declaring myself out of the competition due to having the availability of inside knowledge.

668, right?
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 11:00 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Greenhill
My bad, I should have posted the other day that the lunchtime phrase "Daddy, I'm hungry" caused an event that meant the bean tin was opened and the contents were soon after consumed.
I will not comment at this time on the ill-advisability of involving 7 year olds in serious scientific investigations.

I'll post them up so we can all count them to ensure an accurate total.
Oh joy!

I suspect your new estimate of 668 is probably very close.
Goes without saying, innit?

Oh, I also believe "prolate spheroid" is not really a very accurate mathematical description of the objects that came out of the tin. More like the offspring of Mrs. Prolate Spheroid and Mr. Amorphous Blob-Randomly-Divided. If there's specific mathematic terminology to describe such an object I, as well as at least one other forum member, will be well-impressed.
Cheap beans. Get a proper UK tin.
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 11:03 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

668, right?
If I'm honest with you all I think there has been an over site in how you are all approaching the problem.

The configuration of the sophisticated manufacturing equipment at Heinz will no doubt work with weight of beans rather than number and therefore there is likely to be a deviation in results as it is unlikely that every baked bean is the same size.

Therefore when people are calculating we need to really be thinking mode rather than mean and also attention needs to be paid to deviation.

In conclusion what I am trying to say is that the only way this contest can be bought to a fair conclusion is if Greenhills seven year old counts the beans in multiple tins????

Some one is definitely going to be demanding more pocket money!
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 11:08 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by JamesM
If I'm honest with you all I think there has been an over site in how you are all approaching the problem.

The configuration of the sophisticated manufacturing equipment at Heinz will no doubt work with weight of beans rather than number and therefore there is likely to be a deviation in results as it is unlikely that every baked bean is the same size.

Therefore when people are calculating we need to really be thinking mode rather than mean and also attention needs to be paid to deviation.

In conclusion what I am trying to say is that the only way this contest can be bought to a fair conclusion is if Greenhills seven year old counts the beans in multiple tins????

Some one is definitely going to be demanding more pocket money!
God! Now you want error bars?????
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 11:12 am
Dive Bar Drunk

God! Now you want error bars?????
The formulas being applied need some reworking.

I am just too hung over to do it.
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 11:18 am
Born again atheist

BTW, when this issue has bean resolved (DYSWIDT?), we can move on to the more interesting and more fundamental question of "How many beans can fit on the head of an Angel?"

An issue which cannot be addressed by the prosaic and tedious technique of mere counting.

<If it becomes necessary to more closely define the country of residence of the angel, let's start with the canadian ones>
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 11:26 am
Pictou County Superstar™

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a photo of the opened can. Looks like beanless soup. There might be time to have another guess/make another calculation before I post the evidence?

Old Apr 23rd 2011, 11:37 am
Pictou County Superstar™

So how many beans are in a tin? Great question!

Longways half-bean in emptied can:

"Plate 1 (DSC02101)"

"Plate 2 (DSC02102)"

"Plate 3 (DSC02103)"

Old Apr 23rd 2011, 2:17 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I think you're creating a false duality by only counting the beans. They have other qualities, like taste, texture and of course social implications of consumption. You maths people only see the world one way, that Descartes fellow has a lot to answer for.
I was waiting for the first fart joke. I didn't think it would be so high brow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.