Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

How many beans are in this tin?

Wikiposts

How many beans are in this tin?

Old Apr 20th 2011, 10:02 am
Pictou County Superstar™

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute
Default How many beans are in this tin?

I was recently asked the question Can you tell me exactly how many beans there are in a tin?

The tin I have is 398ml of "Heinz original Beans in Tomato Sauce". Photos of the actual can and ingredient list are attached.

So how many beans are in the tin (please show all work for your calculations!)??

I'll open it and count the beans later this week. No prize (unless you want me to mail you the beans) but it's a fun problem, I'm on vacation and a bottle of Cruzan is staring invitingly at me
Attached Thumbnails How many beans are in this tin?-dsc02095.jpg   How many beans are in this tin?-dsc02097.jpg  
Old Apr 20th 2011, 10:15 am
Pictou County Superstar™

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How many beans are in this tin?

My guess is 381.454 beans.

The method I chose was to convert a bean into a cuboid measuring 13mm x 8mm x 8mm. The measurements were based on a guess at average bean size plus space it occupied with fluid around it (as well as any free "air" space in the can). 13x8x8mm sounds big but I shook the can and it sounds like there's a lot of fluid and free space in there (so I added a bit extra to my guesstimated average bean size to compensate).

I then divided this bean cuboid into a cuboid version of the can.

The can has a height of approximately 105mm and a radius of about 35mm. To convert the can into a cuboid I used it's original height but for length and width I used 2*radius*0.7854. The magic number 0.7854 is the ratio of an area of a circle to the area of a square it will fit exactly in.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 10:17 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

ehem, you've nothing better to do with vacation time?? That's sad. Unless of course you're a maths freak in which case, enjoy.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 10:23 am
Pictou County Superstar™

You're right, of course. I've already done my math bit though so will switch attention to other, regular, forms of relaxation (which will include thinking up clever, creative ways of influencing a seven year old to count the beans for me)..

Originally Posted by fledermaus
ehem, you've nothing better to do with vacation time?? That's sad. Unless of course you're a maths freak in which case, enjoy.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 10:35 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Greenhill
My guess is 381.454 beans.

The method I chose was to convert a bean into a cuboid measuring 13mm x 8mm x 8mm. The measurements were based on a guess at average bean size plus space it occupied with fluid around it (as well as any free "air" space in the can). 13x8x8mm sounds big but I shook the can and it sounds like there's a lot of fluid and free space in there (so I added a bit extra to my guesstimated average bean size to compensate).

I then divided this bean cuboid into a cuboid version of the can.

The can has a height of approximately 105mm and a radius of about 35mm. To convert the can into a cuboid I used it's original height but for length and width I used 2*radius*0.7854. The magic number 0.7854 is the ratio of an area of a circle to the area of a square it will fit exactly in.
Oh, dear, not very sophisticated.

A baked bean is a prolate spheroid with a minor diameter of about 0.35 cm and a major diameter of ~0.7 cm. The volume of a bean is therefore 1/6(pi)0.3x0.3x0.6 cc = 0.0449 cc.

The tin has a volume of 398 cc, of which I guestimate 28 cc is occupied by sauce and perhaps a headspace of 10 cc is empty.

Thus the number of beans is precisely 360/0.0449 but since only quantized states are allowed, this is 8018.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 10:45 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Novocastrian

A baked bean is a prolate spheroid with a minor diameter of about 0.35 cm and a major diameter of ~0.7 cm. The volume of a bean is therefore 1/6(pi)0.3x0.3x0.6 cc = 0.0449 cc.

The tin has a volume of 398 cc, of which I guestimate 28 cc is occupied by sauce and perhaps a headspace of 10 cc is empty.

Thus the number of beans is precisely 360/0.0449 but since only quantized states are allowed, this is 8018.
Utter tosh - Tosh.

My theory is that that variety has more sauce and fewer beans than most so I would say that more than a tenth of the volume is sauce and space.

The number what I have chosen is.........278
Old Apr 20th 2011, 10:49 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Those Canadian beans in Tomaida sauce is bigger than what i is remembering in the UK

For that reason i go for 317 beans.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 10:55 am
Pictou County Superstar™

See, as soon as I mentioned my short-cut cuboid method to the OH, she gave me that look [that I was just being silly]. So I knew straight away that solving this problem based on volumes is probably not the easiest way of arriving at an accurate answer.

I'm sticking with my guess though (and will post up OH's theorem when she's finished toying with my comparatively-feeble mind)..

Old Apr 20th 2011, 11:18 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Greenhill
See, as soon as I mentioned my short-cut cuboid method to the OH, she gave me that look [that I was just being silly]. So I knew straight away that solving this problem based on volumes is probably not the easiest way of arriving at an accurate answer.

I'm sticking with my guess though (and will post up OH's theorem when she's finished toying with my comparatively-feeble mind)..
I've just finished dinner (not baked beans, honest) and I think my result must be too high. I think I need to take account of the Coriolis force , so I'll reduce it by half : 4009.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 11:19 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Those Canadian beans in Tomaida sauce is bigger than what i is remembering in the UK

For that reason i go for 317 beans.
Are you channelling immichaelcaine?
Old Apr 20th 2011, 11:22 am
Account Closed

I've just finished dinner (not baked beans, honest) and I think my result must be too high. I think I need to take account of the Coriolis force , so I'll reduce it by half : 4009.
You haven't even considered the Murmansk effect have you?
Old Apr 20th 2011, 11:25 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by fledermaus
You haven't even considered the Murmansk effect have you?
Frozen beans? No thank you.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 11:32 am
Pictou County Superstar™

The picture of the front label on the can (attachment, post #1) I think shows a top layer of no more than 40 beans. Are you suggesting there are 100 layers of beans in that white bowl? I'm assuming not, of course, that the "4009." at the end of your sentence was a typo and you meant "400.9"??

Old Apr 20th 2011, 1:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

PeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond repute

When I worked at Heinz I used to go boozing occassionally with a couple of workmates, we used to tease any girls we picked up by telling them that one of us counted the beans in, the other poured the sauce in and the last one put the lid on.

No-one ever believed us

We said 248, wrong of course.

Weigh the tin, then weigh a bean, then weigh an empty tin, then do the math(s)
Old Apr 20th 2011, 1:06 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by PeterF
Weigh the tin, then weigh a bean, then weigh an empty tin, then do the math(s)
All very well, but I don't (as usual) have a tin of beans in the house; nor do I have a chemical balance at home.

Perhaps I'll perform your experiment tomorrow at work, that is to say, order a graduate student to do it, (his reward would be a can of beans), but also perhaps not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.