British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   How freaking dumb do you have to be. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/how-freaking-dumb-do-you-have-933120/)

Shard Jun 12th 2020 11:37 pm

Re: How freaking dumb do you have to be.

Originally Posted by MillieF (Post 12865906)
These were really frightening days, and I can’t imagine what might have happened to a greater society had these measures not been implemented. There will always be people who will try to gain from it, and there were a number of people who have suddenly found themselves earning a bit more, but it’s very swings and roundabouts.

I think the tough part will be this Fall (at least in the UK, not sure Canada's plans) as the support measures will be tapered.

MillieF Jun 13th 2020 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12865963)
I think the tough part will be this Fall (at least in the UK, not sure Canada's plans) as the support measures will be tapered.

That’s the bit that scares me too. Certainly I meet quite a number of people who were in unstable employment who suddenly got the Cerb and have come to rely on it, when it goes it’s going to be a big shock, and a lot of the jobs they were doing have effectively disappeared.

dbd33 Jun 13th 2020 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12865963)

That's true here as well but at least we don't have Brexit looming.

Shard Jun 13th 2020 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12866238)
That's true here as well but at least we don't have Brexit looming.

Absolutely. Britain is heading for rough waters indeed.

scrubbedexpat091 Jun 13th 2020 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by MillieF (Post 12866203)
That’s the bit that scares me too. Certainly I meet quite a number of people who were in unstable employment who suddenly got the Cerb and have come to rely on it, when it goes it’s going to be a big shock, and a lot of the jobs they were doing have effectively disappeared.

Wont even have to wait til fall, the earliest CERB claims are running out soon, and employment is returning as quickly as they seemed to have thought, some reason many were under the impression you could switch the economy off for 2-3 months and just switch it back on like nothing happened, some companies don't even exist now at all, so some % of job loses are now permanent, and others will take years to likely recover, like the airline industry, Air Canada is going to soon if they have not already cut something like 60% of their employees, and only expect to be flying 25% of their normal capacity by fall, so they will still be a much smaller company for the near to mid term it seems.

Grocery stores seem to be seeing less demand, and I have seen some posts in local groups of people being laid off that were hired in the peak or having their hours reduced to like 4 hours a week, and some grocery chains are clawing back the $2/hr COVID bonus they were giving in March, April & May.

Hopefully the federal government has some sort of plan.

dave_j Jun 13th 2020 7:22 pm

Governments will do whatever they can to ensure a form of stabilty.
Remember Vladimir Lenin, that sage so hated by the right. Among his other notable quotes is this one,"Every society is three meals away from chaos".
I'm not sure about the number, the theme expressed is apt.
Faced with a substantial proportion of the population without income in a society that prides itself on looking out for yourself, leaves a government with few choices, feed the people or shoot them.
At the moment we're still at the feeding the people stage and in many countries there simply aren't enough military to keep order. It's a vaccine or herd imunity that'd better end this before the cash runs out.

Former Lancastrian Jun 13th 2020 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by dave_j (Post 12866446)
Governments will do whatever they can to ensure a form of stabilty.
Remember Vladimir Lenin, that sage so hated by the right. Among his other notable quotes is this one,"Every society is three meals away from chaos".
I'm not sure about the number, the theme expressed is apt.
Faced with a substantial proportion of the population without income in a society that prides itself on looking out for yourself, leaves a government with few choices, feed the people or shoot them.
At the moment we're still at the feeding the people stage and in many countries there simply aren't enough military to keep order. It's a vaccine or herd imunity that'd better end this before the cash runs out.

How can the cash run out? JT or his Ministers are usually announcing millions every day for this that and the other. We have a Bank of Canada so let them print up more money if it looks like it is running out. Hell we have stuff to sell even if it is at Garage Sale prices in some areas. I still have cheques left so I know I still have money. I think you are being silly saying or suggesting that the cash will run out.

dave_j Jun 13th 2020 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12866472)
I think you are being silly saying or suggesting that the cash will run out.

Yes it wasn't meant literally, more a figure of speach, me being silly again.

Shard Jun 14th 2020 5:49 am

Originally Posted by dave_j (Post 12866478)
Yes it wasn't meant literally, more a figure of speach, me being silly again.

I took it merely as a figure of speech. Nevertheless, I don't think it will come to some sort of hyperinflation, unless the virus becomes much more virulent.