Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

How embarrassing. But you get what you vote for...

How embarrassing. But you get what you vote for...

Old Jun 29th 2012, 5:56 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How embarrassing. But you get what you vote for...

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
If all those around you jumped off a cliff, would you do so too?
No, being originally British I would remain isolated from those jumping off the cliff, convince myself that I am superior in all ways to them, erect border controls to make it as hard as possible to interact with them, then sit there smug and xenophobic until I starved to death.

Why have different currencies throughout the world; what does that actually achieve?
Well in reality the US dollar is the universal currency, this is something China has been trying to change lately. Also the reason why everything in the US is so inexpensive, because producers in other countries will accept US dollars and also the main reason things tend to be more expensive in Canada.

One of the reasons behind the Euro was precisely to stop the dominance of the US dollar - a lesson the UK should clearly have already learned when sterling plummeted in the post-WW2 period as the Empire came to an end.

Frankly the decline in the role of the US dollar is likely to be a far bigger problem for us than anything going on with the Euro.
Old Jun 29th 2012, 1:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
No, being originally British I would remain isolated from those jumping off the cliff, convince myself that I am superior in all ways to them, erect border controls to make it as hard as possible to interact with them, then sit there smug and xenophobic until I starved to death.
What border control does the UK impose over the rest of the EU?

Well in reality the US dollar is the universal currency, this is something China has been trying to change lately. Also the reason why everything in the US is so inexpensive, because producers in other countries will accept US dollars and also the main reason things tend to be more expensive in Canada.

One of the reasons behind the Euro was precisely to stop the dominance of the US dollar - a lesson the UK should clearly have already learned when sterling plummeted in the post-WW2 period as the Empire came to an end.

Frankly the decline in the role of the US dollar is likely to be a far bigger problem for us than anything going on with the Euro.
So please tell me, when was the last time you paid for something anywhere in Europe with USD in cash, and had it accepted by the person you offered it to?

Why doesn't the entire world have a single currency?
Old Jun 29th 2012, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

FirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really nice

AC also weighing in with: "So please tell me, when was the last time you paid for something anywhere in Europe with USD in cash, and had it accepted by the person you offered it to?"

'Ding, Ding'. Round 2.
Interesting points all round.
Re: US $ in "Europe" - I am streching this definition to fall in line with "Euro Vision"; I can confirm that I have used US $ in Monrovia to purchase i) a decent night sleep with Breaky ii) Farming Diesel iii) Russian Beer (awful).

I am sure you would rebut with a sensible definition of "Europe"

FROTSUK

Last edited by FirstRatofftheShipUK; Jun 29th 2012 at 9:46 pm.
Old Jun 29th 2012, 9:58 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
What border control does the UK impose over the rest of the EU?
UK isn't part of Schengen, so even EU citizens need a passport to enter.

So please tell me, when was the last time you paid for something anywhere in Europe with USD in cash, and had it accepted by the person you offered it to?
At the Savoy last year.

Why doesn't the entire world have a single currency?
I would argue that it does. Since all restriction on and regulation of international capital flows were abolished, currency denominations have no meaning in practice.

I can't see a downside (given the above) to finishing the job, especially as it would destroy the ability of speculators and hedge funds to drive a currency down at a whim.
Old Jun 29th 2012, 11:33 pm
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
In the case of Greece, yes, profligacy and a corrupt political system, in the case of Ireland and Spain, and to a lesser extent so far, the UK and Portugal, a consequence of their following the Thatcher/Reagan model of unfettered capitalism and the lunatic econometric teachings of David Li (a Canadian citizen). And greed.

To resolve the situation in the long term, fuller political union and centralized fiscal policy.

My fees are reasonable.
this was an article from 1999
http://www.nytimes.com/1999/09/30/bu...ng.html?src=pm
Old Jun 30th 2012, 12:13 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Vader
Yes. But are you agreeing with on the point of the discussion or not?

Edit: I'm sorry LV, I didn't read which of my posts you were quoting. Do you need a link to an article explaining the role of David Li?