Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

How Canadians deal with road rage

How Canadians deal with road rage

Old Jul 19th 2012, 3:56 am
BE Enthusiast

PeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How Canadians deal with road rage

Originally Posted by geedee
My experience is totally different. How many truck drivers give a "flash" if you let them in? How many cars give a quick wave if you slow down to let them in on a slip road. Answer (in my experience)... zero. So now I don't bother.... make 'em brake...
That's because in the UK you have the right of way when you are on the main road, over here the rules are that you allow merging, so they don't see it as you being curtious, just driving properly.

What I do see a lot, no matter how much room there is behind you, no matter which side of your car they are at, they just HAVE to get in front, usually before they are exiting the road.
Old Jul 19th 2012, 4:37 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PeterF
That's because in the UK you have the right of way when you are on the main road, over here the rules are that you allow merging, so they don't see it as you being curtious, just driving properly.
They can't merge for toffee over here.
Old Jul 19th 2012, 5:48 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
They can't merge for toffee over here.
Do you know what all that green shit they've put on the roads is?
Old Jul 19th 2012, 6:03 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Do you know what all that green shit they've put on the roads is?
Where? What?

Leaves?
Old Jul 19th 2012, 6:11 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
Where? What?

Leaves?
This stuff. It might have something to do with bikes although they seem to be going in the opposite direction.

Old Jul 19th 2012, 10:09 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PeterF
What I do see a lot, no matter how much room there is behind you, no matter which side of your car they are at, they just HAVE to get in front, usually before they are exiting the road.
Yup, I agree. I see that here all the time too- especially when I'm joining a road and they're exiting.
Old Jul 19th 2012, 1:04 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho
Yup, I agree. I see that here all the time too- especially when I'm joining a road and they're exiting.
or they leave it until the very last second before they exit and then cut across 4 lanes of traffic with no signals.
Old Jul 19th 2012, 1:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the rough

My experience is totally different. How many truck drivers give a "flash" if you let them in? How many cars give a quick wave if you slow down to let them in on a slip road. Answer (in my experience)... zero. So now I don't bother.... make 'em brake...
I know, I always wave for people letting me in (when it actually happens) and I always flash truck drivers because my dad says it makes it easier for them to know when they are safely past you.

I think Canadian's think I am just scratching my head, as many passengers have given me the wtf face when I wave to say thanks!
Old Jul 19th 2012, 1:24 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

That explains then

I get waves etc, but trucks dont seem to flash here. Drives me nuts, the 401 where I am is mostly 2 lanes. In the UK when a truck has cleared the one its slowly overtaking they get a flash to tell them its safe to pull in. Here they keep going till they are a length clear, blocking the outside lane for another 5 km
Old Jul 19th 2012, 2:42 pm
Beep

Originally Posted by Oink
This stuff. It might have something to do with bikes although they seem to be going in the opposite direction.

http://momentummag.com/downloads/160...E.H.Becker.jpg
Probably some stupid Canadian way to show how "Green" the cycle lane is.
Old Jul 20th 2012, 2:22 pm
Beep

It's official, according to the news on the telly. Drivers in BC are the worst for speeding, tailgating, cutting into a lane without signalling, turning where not allowed and cruising through crosswalks when pedestrians are crossing.

Closely followed by Albertans. They probably lose out because they can't drive around bends in the road without panic and slowing down to 50% of the speed limit.
Old Jul 20th 2012, 8:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ramsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really nice

Anyone notice how Albertans tend to signal right (if at all) when joining a roundabout. Not to say they are taking the first exit, but to signal that is the way they are going to go around?!

Good luck trying to go the other way..... Oh hang-on i've seen that too!
Old Jul 20th 2012, 8:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

PeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ramsey
Anyone notice how Albertans tend to signal right (if at all) when joining a roundabout. Not to say they are taking the first exit, but to signal that is the way they are going to go around?!

Good luck trying to go the other way..... Oh hang-on i've seen that too!
I got hit on a roundabout, on my right side of the car in Ontario when some woman in the right lane was turning left. She got all upset and accused me of driving into HER lane when I was following the road off (I was going straight over).

No indication either mind.
Old Jul 28th 2012, 10:54 pm
Forum Regular

big ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nice

What country as 1 lane sliproad on and 2 lane sliproads off,get stuck up the back of a truck going on and you are merging at 30k.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 7:11 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

here they just pull out in front of you on the highway if they see a big slowmoving truck up ahead. So you have to slam all your brakes on. They seem absolutely oblivious to why this is dangerous.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.