British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Hotspot Shield Elite (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/hotspot-shield-elite-795295/)

Dotty P Apr 27th 2013 2:33 am

Hotspot Shield Elite

Hello all,

After having problems with Windows 8 and Expat Shield, I subscribed to Hotspot Shield Elite. All seems well....until I want to watch Channel 4 OD. Anyone else had a similar problem with this?

BBC and ITV all good.....it just doesn't like Channel 4 and they have some really good documentaries.

All advice welcome....:)

xenastoyboy Sep 16th 2013 11:24 pm

Re: Hotspot Shield Elite

I was not impressed by Hotspot Shield at all, it kept assigning me a country other than UK, I could not figure out how to configure it and free version would not work at all.

Google this and watch the video on YouTube "fix compatibility problem expat shield windows 8".

An alternative which will assign you give you a choice between many country IPs is Bear Tunnel which works well on my Tablet not a bad price either.

BristolUK Sep 16th 2013 11:46 pm

MediaHint works.

Free. Quick. Nothing to enable/disable.

xenastoyboy Sep 17th 2013 12:00 am

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 10904027)
MediaHint works.

I shall give it a go when I get home, Cheers.

xenastoyboy Sep 17th 2013 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 10904027)
MediaHint works.

:goodpost:

MediaHint worked like a charm, can't believe how easy it is to use. Thanks so much.

ultrarunner Sep 17th 2013 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by xenastoyboy (Post 10904970)
:goodpost:

MediaHint worked like a charm, can't believe how easy it is to use. Thanks so much.

What are you using it to watch, and what is the process for accessing the content e.g. Brit shows?

Aviator Sep 17th 2013 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by xenastoyboy (Post 10904004)
I was not impressed by Hotspot Shield at all, it kept assigning me a country other than UK, I could not figure out how to configure it and free version would not work at all.

Google this and watch the video on YouTube "fix compatibility problem expat shield windows 8".

An alternative which will assign you give you a choice between many country IPs is Bear Tunnel which works well on my Tablet not a bad price either.

Using Hot Spot Shield daily with Win 7 & 8, no issues, switches between country IP addresses and can watch UK & US.For $30 a year it is good value.

BristolUK Sep 17th 2013 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by ultrarunner (Post 10904975)
What are you using it to watch, and what is the process for accessing the content e.g. Brit shows?

BBC, ITV, C4 etc live and later via their websites.

Aviator Sep 17th 2013 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 10905035)
BBC, ITV, C4 etc live and later via their websites.

Hot Spot Shield works fine on W7 & 8 all UK channels, plus Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu.

BristolUK Sep 17th 2013 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by Aviator (Post 10905065)
Hot Spot Shield works fine on W7 & 8 all UK channels, plus Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu.

I haven't tried them but I recall MediaHint being promoted as for those too.

xenastoyboy Sep 18th 2013 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by ultrarunner (Post 10904975)

I followed the great installation directions on the website both printed and video. took me less than 5 mins and I can activate/deactivate the extension through Chrome/Firfox as needed. Using Chrome with iPlayer and watching streaming live BBC, ITV, Channel 4 without the speed loss I have been getting with ExPat Shield over the last 4 or 5 years. MediaHint does not use a VPN so you are not slowed down by any 3rd party server.