Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Hope you have your thermal knickers ready in Alberta!

Hope you have your thermal knickers ready in Alberta!

Old Jan 17th 2012, 5:45 pm
Don't call me MOM!!

snowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of light
Default Hope you have your thermal knickers ready in Alberta!

I thought this morning was bad. We are on a wind chill warning now with temps going down to minus 40 to 50 overnight.

Interesting walk to the school bus stop at 7.30am......It didn't feel too bad to start with but after a couple of minutes with those little bits of your face exposed to the air and eyelashes starting to freeze, it was feeling slightly freaky.

The school buses were running here this morning even though it was almost minus 40. I guess tomorrow morning could be a whole different story.

Gotta love this crazy Albertan weather though, on Saturday afternoon you could walk around in just a sweater in the sun! I think we have a chinook coming in over the weekend so could well be BBQing again next week!
Old Jan 17th 2012, 6:19 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hope you have your thermal knickers ready in Alberta!

We can now find out from the newbies

if they really aren't that botherd by the cold...

Or if my assumptions are correct.. the thought of the day is......

F*** me that F***ing cold, I'm staying indoors F*** that for a lark

F*** = fool honest
Old Jan 17th 2012, 6:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
F*** me that F***ing cold, I'm staying indoors F*** that for a lark
Beautiful phrasing - eloquent and precise - and spot on!
Old Jan 17th 2012, 6:24 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Its jolly chilly in Vancouver this morning.
Old Jan 17th 2012, 6:26 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
In Toronto as well. +6C. Very chilly.
Old Jan 17th 2012, 6:49 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

It was -20 with windchill here this morning and -26 yesterday. That's about as cold as it ever gets here. And, I'm cool with that.
Old Jan 17th 2012, 8:38 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
We've got a taste of the frozen hell that is most of Canada today. It's sunny with 8" of snow on the ground which is great, but it's well below freezing with the temperature dropping as low as -2C and no wind chill to speak of
Old Jan 17th 2012, 8:45 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

My husband (from BC originally) is visiting his mum in Calgary, and rang me today to tell me it was 'a bit chilly' , meanwhile we have been minus 5 all week, and our realtor rang me to tell me it was 'freezing' in Fredericton at minus 2!
Old Jan 17th 2012, 8:56 pm
Don't call me MOM!!

snowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of light

I am now about to get dressed up in all my gear to meet the school bus...not really wanting to leave my lovely toastie spot on the sofa. Hopefully youngest has remembered to put on all his warm clothing before leaving school today.

I usually collect mail on the afternoon school bus meet, don't think I can be bothered to faff with the key in mittens today
Old Jan 17th 2012, 10:27 pm
Forum Regular

Adeletrotter is just really niceAdeletrotter is just really niceAdeletrotter is just really niceAdeletrotter is just really niceAdeletrotter is just really niceAdeletrotter is just really niceAdeletrotter is just really niceAdeletrotter is just really niceAdeletrotter is just really nice

-49 windchill here in Saskatoon today and our buses were cancelled (I drive bus) who's wants or even needs to stand and wait for a bus in those temps?? Parents please take your kids to school in a nice warm car lol  there's a limit to what they should brave!!
Old Jan 17th 2012, 11:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond repute

I have to say that it is just a wee bit parky here....

The dogs are refusing to go outside - I had to forcibly eject both of them earlier so that they could go and pee...
Old Jan 17th 2012, 11:38 pm
JGK
BE Enthusiast

JGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond repute

This morning -45C with the wind chill, warming up to a daytime high -25C. Overnight -49C and tomorrow a high -27C.

We had temperatures above 0 last week
Old Jan 17th 2012, 11:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JGK
We had temperatures above 0 last week
This is what makes me laugh. -30 on my way home just now. Supposed to be +1 by Saturday.
Old Jan 18th 2012, 12:35 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

It was a tad chilly walking the dog this morning, I've got to remember to put his boots on him tomorrow as it was a bit cold for his feet today.
Old Jan 18th 2012, 1:11 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
We've got a taste of the frozen hell that is most of Canada today. It's sunny with 8" of snow on the ground which is great, but it's well below freezing with the temperature dropping as low as -2C and no wind chill to speak of
Its bloody freezing out there and I had on gloves and one of them furry trapper hats and I was still frozen all day. I don't know how you people do it in the rest of the country. I wish I was in Dubai or Antigua watching the cricket.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.