Honesty

Old Jul 22nd 2006, 12:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Honesty

This afternoon I went to collect my daughter and her friend from shopping. We met in the parking lot of a Real Canadian Superstore, where they had been messing about with a shopping cart while I finished shopping.

I came out and they left the cart, next to the 'cart park' thingy just outside the store in a very busy spot; my va.....sorry limo was at the far end of the lot. We loaded groceries and left. A couple of minutes later, daughters friend yells out "Oh no! I left my purse in the cart!" My heart sank - I had visions of going to the bank to cancel her card; calling her mum re her house and secuity etc.

Handbreak turn a la Miami vice ( try that in a limo ) and back we go. Drove past the cart - it was empty I suggested she go inside and ask at Customer service if it had been handed in. I thought it was a long shot at best (the cynic in me coming out ).

I was delighted to see her come out of the store beaming from ear to ear, purse in hand! She had cash, bank card, house keys, ID, a Creative Zen, and other bits and bobs (as girls do); and not a single thing was missing!!

I thought that was brilliant! It made my day!

(Specially as I just got a bloody $20 parking ticket about an hour before...lol - My first Canadian one though )
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 7:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Craftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Honesty

Originally Posted by Calgal
I came out and they left the cart, next to the 'cart park' thingy just outside the store in a very busy spot; my va.....sorry limo was at the far end of the lot. We loaded groceries and left. A couple of minutes later, daughters friend yells out "Oh no! I left my purse in the cart!" My heart sank - I had visions of going to the bank to cancel her card; calling her mum re her house and secuity etc.

I was delighted to see her come out of the store beaming from ear to ear, purse in hand! She had cash, bank card, house keys, ID, a Creative Zen, and other bits and bobs (as girls do); and not a single thing was missing!!

I thought that was brilliant! It made my day!

(Specially as I just got a bloody $20 parking ticket about an hour before...lol - My first Canadian one though )
Sorry to hear about your parking ticket, but great news that your daughter's friend got her purse back. I don't think that would happen in the UK now
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 1:11 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Craftybanshee
I don't think that would happen in the UK now
Oh it just might. It rather depends who comes across it first eh? Presumably the Brits who are here bemoaning the state of the UK and waiting to leave are among those who would, if they'd found that purse, hand it in???

I managed to drop my purse a couple of years ago at the local sports centre. I'd just been to collect my child benefit (2 kids) and it was stuffed full of notes! It also had all my cards etc in and I nearly had a heart attack when I discovered it must have fallen from my pocket!

Fearing the worst I rushed to the front desk, and they had my purse there in their hands, open, looking for ID. I could hear them saying "it's FULL of money" and I rather foolishly rushed up crying "that's my purse!!". Actually they didn't ask for any proof as far as I remember, so it's a good thing it WAS actually mine!!

I found a wallet in a park that was full of $50 bills soon after we arrived here! There were loads of cards, but nothing with an address. I wandered round, but couldn't see anyone obviously looking for it, and I didn't like to leave it there, so I took it home and went through the phone book until I found someone (it was an unusual Polish sounding name). I called and told an ansaphone that I had found something I thought may belong to them, and to call me back. Then I called the police and told them what I'd done, and they said if the right person didn't respond I could bring it in "whenever I was passing".

An hour or so later a little old lady called me, described the purse she had lost, and was really quite distraught. It was all her pension money. So I took her address and took it round to her. She gave me the most ENORMOUS hug, it quite made my day!!
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 1:18 pm
Whatacomplete Member

koogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Morwenna
Oh it just might. It rather depends who comes across it first eh? Presumably the Brits who are here bemoaning the state of the UK and waiting to leave are among those who would, if they'd found that purse, hand it in???

I managed to drop my purse a couple of years ago at the local sports centre. I'd just been to collect my child benefit (2 kids) and it was stuffed full of notes! It also had all my cards etc in and I nearly had a heart attack when I discovered it must have fallen from my pocket!

Fearing the worst I rushed to the front desk, and they had my purse there in their hands, open, looking for ID. I could hear them saying "it's FULL of money" and I rather foolishly rushed up crying "that's my purse!!". Actually they didn't ask for any proof as far as I remember, so it's a good thing it WAS actually mine!!

I found a wallet in a park that was full of $50 bills soon after we arrived here! There were loads of cards, but nothing with an address. I wandered round, but couldn't see anyone obviously looking for it, and I didn't like to leave it there, so I took it home and went through the phone book until I found someone (it was an unusual Polish sounding name). I called and told an ansaphone that I had found something I thought may belong to them, and to call me back. Then I called the police and told them what I'd done, and they said if the right person didn't respond I could bring it in "whenever I was passing".

An hour or so later a little old lady called me, described the purse she had lost, and was really quite distraught. It was all her pension money. So I took her address and took it round to her. She gave me the most ENORMOUS hug, it quite made my day!!
I love doin stuff like that mor.
So far, I've done it with 1 purse, 2 wallets, 4 moblie phones and 1 gold ladies watch (a 40th birthday gift from her kids).
Makes you feel great when you see their faces
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 1:21 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by koogar
I love doin stuff like that mor.
So far, I've done it with 1 purse, 2 wallets, 4 moblie phones and 1 gold ladies watch (a 40th birthday gift from her kids).
Makes you feel great when you see their faces
I was a bit nervous taking the thing home with me! .... but it was fun trying to find out who it belonged to!
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 1:54 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Very recent example:

I lost my mobile phone up in the Calgary Tower the other night and was expecting a call from Butch. He called my mobile, whomever found it answered and they arranged to have Butch pick it up for me.

So because of two honest and nice people I got my mobile back. Delivered even!
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 1:58 pm
little snowy owl

warms the cockles.... doesn't it
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 2:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

dozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Morwenna

A few years ago I was in London and dropped my wallet. I didn't notice when it had actually happened, but I rang the police and reported the loss, but heard nothing. About 2 months later I got a letter from British Rail, with my wallet in side and all my cards and drivers license. The only thing missing was £20.00 out of, I think, £85.00 taken by British Rail as a fee for returning it, bloody cheek. After all that time I had had everything replaced including the drivers license. At least I got £65.00 back.

Dozzzzy

Applied Skilled Worker (London)
Application submitted - 05th July 2004
AOR Dated - 21st July 2004 (18 Months)
Delay Letter - Arrived Jan 2006 (Delayed till June 2006)
Medical Request - 26 May 2006 (NO Interview or Updated Docs Required)
Medical Submitted - 4 June 2006
Info Request - 17 July - Update Available Funds
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 7:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

It really is heart warming to read other similar stories

Way back when I was a struggling newlywed in the UK (well...ok, was 'co-habiting', but that doesn't sound right...lol); I left my purse on a bench out side the Co-op during my lunch break. We were flat broke, living from paycheck to paycheck (like you do), and I had just collected my other halfs weeks pay from him to take to the bank later (in cash). Also all the usual stuff. bank/credit cards, drivers licence etc were in there.

I rushed back to the bench to find several teenaged boys sitting there. I asked them if they had found or seen anything, but they just grunted at me, and my heart sank.

I went straight to the police station to see if they had heard anything - no luck, so I filled in a form and left; wondering how the hell we would survive the week with nothing. Anyway, later that day, I got a call from the police station, to say that a purse matching my description had been handed in. I went back after work and it was mine! Amazingly, everything was in it. A little 2 year old boy with his parents had found it; they were on holiday from oop north. The police gave me his name and address, so I wrote and sent him a reward (not that I could afford much). I got a nice letter back from his mum telling me they had put it in his savings account

Since being in Canada, I've been lucky enough not to lose anything valuable yet; but that's probably because I watch my purse like a hawk I don't want that feeling again!

My son hasn't been so fortunate though - he lost his wallet. It fell out of his pocket in the movie theatre. He went back before they re-filled the theatre for the next show to ask, but no-one 'knew' anything. He was more upset at the loss of the wallet than the contents (which was only $20.00 and a bank card) because it was a gift from a trip his dad had been on, and was his first proper wallet.
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 8:46 am
Will work for shoes.....

wonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond repute

I think the nicest one that has happened to me was last christmas, a couple of days before christmas i went in to the atm to take some cash out, the atm was beeping, in the money dispenser was a hugh wad of notes, it looked like someone had taken out their money and just walked away, i took the wad out (there was easily £500 there) just as i was walking into the bank to give it to a cashier, some guy and his crying wife came running throught the door, run in front of me and started explaining to the cashier what had happened, it was so nice to be able to say" excuse me is this yours" the couple were really grateful, they had just taken the money out to go and do there christmas shopping.........