Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Home made wine, can I put in container

Home made wine, can I put in container

Old Jan 21st 2008, 11:12 am
BE Enthusiast

gibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nice
Default Re: Home made wine, can I put in container

Hi all,

Hi emmabell,
got some good idea's there, sound lovely, will have to give it a go.

I'm still waiting to get a response from the beer and wine making shops, need to find out if you can get port yeast, sherry yeast and ordinary yeast by mail order?

Have sent an email to Canadian Association of Liquor Jurisdictions, to see if they can shed some light on what I can bring in. Sent the same message to the Alberta liquor association too.

I have read somewhere that yep, you can only take 1.5 litres of wine at any one time.

Will let you all know how I get on,
many thanks to all
Old Jan 21st 2008, 2:56 pm
Curiously Wise

Jingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there - I have used this lady several times in the past both in UK and Canada and quality of her stuff is great - might be worth a try!

Happy drinking! J
Old Jan 21st 2008, 7:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

gibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nice

Ah thanks, tis for Canada ebay? Never thought about ebay. Will take a closer look later, cheers
Old Jan 21st 2008, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

deanonlisa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gibbos1
Hi folks,

I just love my home made wine and sloe gin/vodka, have a few bottles that I was planning to take with me to Calgary. Is this possible??????

I know you can take shrubs and plants, but need to get a permit ( I'm sure I have read this somewhere), so how about Home made wines

hope someone can help or advise,
many thanks'
Carl
Hi Gibbo's
dont know why your worrying you will have drunk it all by then or at least your sister in law will have!!!
see ya xx
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 6:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi deanonlisa,

I suppose I have bring some over at Easter, as part as the rent

We will have to sample some more in a couple of weeks???????????

chow for now
Old Jan 24th 2008, 6:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

hi folks,

Have had a reply from the Canadian customs office and thought you might like to have a look at what they sent. Remember this is for Alberta and it might be different from other provinces?

First reply,

Carl,

You may bring in 12 bottles of homemade wine which may travel with your household shipping container. Although the product is homemade, you will be responsible to pay federal & provincial charges on alcohol. Assuming there are only 12 bottles and those bottles are 750ml size, you would be looking at approx. $45.00. Again, if the total of all wine is 9L, you may also deal only with Canada Customs when you present yourself to clear your moving container. Only where amounts are over 9L will you be deferred to my office for handling.

Thank you,

My reply to him, asking another question,

many thanks for your quick reply.

When you say to deal with Canada customs, when I present myself to clear our container, do you mean when I actually land and I have my goods to follow list, I should mention that I have the maximum of 9L of home made wine in that container and then pay the $45 in charges? Can I do this at the port of entry or when the removers come to collect the container to transport to our new address.

Thanks again for the advice,

This is what he replied,

Carl – You would ultimately pay any amounts owing when your household effects container arrives in Calgary or Edmonton. You need to go to Canada Customs and hand over all your moving documentation, at this time you declare the 12 bottles and they will collect from you then. You do not do this when your person arrives into Canada, the goods will be cleared by you when they actually arrive. (this is not to say you don’t tell Customs that you have a shipment arriving, you should mention it, but they really won’t do anything because it is not here yet.)

So can only take 12 bottles of wine in the container, so will have to drink the rest

cheers to you all,
Carl
Old Sep 7th 2008, 9:02 pm
Just Joined

Kritafo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,
I have quite a few bottles that I made over a year ago now. The longer you can leave it the better. Couple of friends, keep it for the minimum of 5 years, then start drinking it and I've got to say, it's bloody good

As for the Elderberry wine that I have made (again about a year old now), friends of my have said to make at least a one gallon batch, then bottle it and maybe try one bottle at three months old, then another at six and so on, but try to leave one for as long as you can. I have tried young wines and then tried a glass(or two) of an eight year old and wow the difference was brill, lovely stuff. I have read some where that elderberries have more vitamin c in them than black currents and a glass of elderberry wine a day, keeps many an illness away

So this is the reason I want to bring some over with us.
Will have to find out if it's ok to bring a bottle every time someone comes into Canada, if so, will leave it with my MUM and Dad and everytime family come over, they can bring it in?????

I have made some Sloe gin and some Sloe vodka. The making process has been explained already, so give it a go, Will have to be when the sloes and elderberries are out, late Aug/sept.

I have done some research about sloes growing in Canada, they are of the Black thorn bush or tree. But nobody has actually got back to me and said "yes we have them". You usually find them along the hedgerows, here in the UK, so you would have to look in the woods in Canada.

We are hoping to settle in the Calgary area of Alberta, so might be a good chance of finding them there? And Elderberries?
If not, just wondering if you can mail order them, like you can over here?

Cheers for all this help, please keep it coming.

Oh we are coming to Calgary in March for two weeks, so I could put some in my case, so anybody fancy trying it, give us a shout

Cheers,
Carl
So your in Calgary now? Did you find Elderberries?

I am also in Calgary, and love Elderberries and am haivng a hard time finding them.
Old Sep 7th 2008, 9:38 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi folks,

I just love my home made wine and sloe gin/vodka, have a few bottles that I was planning to take with me to Calgary. Is this possible??????

I know you can take shrubs and plants, but need to get a permit ( I'm sure I have read this somewhere), so how about Home made wines
So you're migrating half way round the world, changing your entire life, and you're worried about home brewed grog ?

Geezus-on-a-stick-gone-sideways, some people haven't got a clue.

Tip it down the toilet and get on with the important things in life.

R.
Old Sep 7th 2008, 10:42 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rich_007
So you're migrating half way round the world, changing your entire life, and you're worried about home brewed grog ?

R.
I am not from half way around the world, I am from Chatham, ON, Canada. I just found the thread and wondered if the person looking for Elderberries like myself.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 8:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Kritafo,

no not in Calgary yet, just received an offer on our house, so hopefully soooooooon.

I was just collected some information about my home made wine and thought I would ask customs what the score was, if I could infact bring some in. You understand, that when you have go to all that time and effort making the stuff, then leaving for a few years to mature, you would like to drink it and hayyy why not:thumbsup

Ignore Rich_007 because he said to tip it and get on with the more important things in life, when he has been sat on here, looking through threads that don't really interest him and then make pointless comments and it's us that has to get on with the more important things in life

Anyway about the Elderberries, I have found a web site that posts dried elderberries. But I have to make sure they can send them to Canada.
As for finding elderberries in and around Calgary, no luck so far

Anyway, I wont be putting my wine in container, it's not that they wont except it, it's because the removal companies don't like packing it, just in case the bottles break and then we would claim on their cover. So I for one will not be tipping it, will have to sup it, with family and friends and make sure it's all go for when we go.

Have you found an alternative to Elderberries, red/black currents?????

Anyway I am in the process of searching for a supplier or actually knowing it elderberries actually grow in Alberta, when I find more info out, I will post.

Thanks for adding to the thread, please keep me posted on your findings.

All the best,
Carl
Old Sep 8th 2008, 1:12 pm
Just Joined

Hi Kritafo,

no not in Calgary yet, just received an offer on our house, so hopefully soooooooon.

I was just collected some information about my home made wine and thought I would ask customs what the score was, if I could infact bring some in. You understand, that when you have go to all that time and effort making the stuff, then leaving for a few years to mature, you would like to drink it and hayyy why not:thumbsup

Ignore Rich_007 because he said to tip it and get on with the more important things in life, when he has been sat on here, looking through threads that don't really interest him and then make pointless comments and it's us that has to get on with the more important things in life

Anyway about the Elderberries, I have found a web site that posts dried elderberries. But I have to make sure they can send them to Canada.
As for finding elderberries in and around Calgary, no luck so far

Anyway, I wont be putting my wine in container, it's not that they wont except it, it's because the removal companies don't like packing it, just in case the bottles break and then we would claim on their cover. So I for one will not be tipping it, will have to sup it, with family and friends and make sure it's all go for when we go.

Have you found an alternative to Elderberries, red/black currents?????

Anyway I am in the process of searching for a supplier or actually knowing it elderberries actually grow in Alberta, when I find more info out, I will post.

Thanks for adding to the thread, please keep me posted on your findings.

All the best,
Carl
Well I can get a grower to send bushes from Ontario. I can't put my hands on the link from the fellow I spoke with....I found it!

http://bramblelanefarms.com/index.html I am going to order some Spring 09' and see what happens.

This fellow worked out here near Olds, Alberta where he says they did have elders. So somehow they must grow here. There is also a gardening website we have bought most of our plants from since Alberta has a tricky growing season. Like this morning we had frost Sept 8th and it will be 19 degrees Celcius this afternoon.

DNA gardens is located about 1 1/2 hours and they speciallize in cold hardy plants for Alberta and Saskatchewan. http://www.dnagardens.com/ they have been testing Elderberries for a few years and I just emailed her a few days ago to see how they did this year.

As for currents we don't have any problems getting those out here. We have black currents growing in our yard, although they didn't do very well this year and we ended up at a u-pick.

We also have a local producer of Meade, the winery just opened this year and is the first Meade winery in Alberta. We just couldn't get any before that unless you made your own.

Good luck with your move, let me know if you need any info with I can definately help.

Thanks
Old Sep 8th 2008, 10:42 pm
Banned

McLovin is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Kritafo,

Exactly, he's a funny character eh? Posts about complaining Brits, how we should all be out doing things, yet he spends a lot of his time on here complaining to Brits. Isn't it Ironic?
Old Sep 8th 2008, 10:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

zmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nice

On a slightly different track...

Has anybody ever used choke cherries to make anything with? I think you can make wine and the gin stuff with them and even jam or jelly and as we have two trees in our garden it would be great to make use of them.

We might try making wine next year but we need to get all the stuff and start learning what to do but we could make jam this year. We're also going to picking up all the crabapples next year. The village office here begs people to go out and pick them as it helps keeps bears out of the village!

Anyway, if anyone has any thoughts or recipes for what to do with the choke cherries it would be greatly appreciated.

Zoe M. x

Last edited by zmartin; Sep 8th 2008 at 10:58 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Sep 8th 2008, 11:04 pm
Always lurking.

gingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Rich_007

R.
Would you feel different if it was special brownies?
Old Sep 9th 2008, 3:21 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gingnut
Would you feel different if it was special brownies?
No. I'd think you were a complete idiot for trying to smuggle (low grade skanky) illicit goods into Canada, land of first-grade illicit goods.

R.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.