British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Hi, we're back on line !!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/hi-were-back-line-435154/)

Elli and Paul Mar 16th 2007 9:39 pm

Hi, we're back on line !!!

Hi everyone

Just wanted to say a big hi and thanks for all the kind wishes and words of support to us, they mean the world.:D

The landing/immigration nightmare is now completely sorted and I'm now a permanent resident, thank goodness, was a little :mad: around this time too.

OMG What a rollercoaster :ohmy: It's been quite hard as our container arrived in Canada on schedule but due to the CN Rail strike it just sat in Montreal for weeks !! We couldn't do a thing and no-one could tell us when we'd get it.

However we have it now, it arrived Wednesday and all ok, so far, but still can't locate a few things. At first I didn't really miss things as it was like a long holiday but life with only 8 holdalls was hard especially with two kids who missed their toys and clothes. I was making do and some bits we just had to buy, and borrow from new friends. I think the hardest part, besides not having the internet when you wanted it, was the lack of personal items including my family photos:(

When we unpacked it was like all our birthdays had come at once, and Megan and Joshua truly thought it was Christmas, their little faces were a picture.

So we're here and back on-line, we've bought a web cam as my plan was to be up and running in time for Mother's Day so we can chat and see our families.

All I would say is that there are hiccups along the way sometimes but the end goal is well worth the stress.

I've had some great advice from BE folk out here, you know who you are:) , and their words of support have helped on the low days to see the good in it all and a light at the end of the tunnel. A couple of bad days are nothing in a lifetime when you consider the enormity of the move.

I have loads of posts to catch up on and we look forward to hearing all your news and how your individual journeys are progressing.

Bye for now

Elli and Paul :D

Cookie Mar 16th 2007 11:37 pm

Re: Hi, we're back on line !!!

Glad your feeling a bit more settled now your shipment has arrived. We were about 9 weeks without our things but our kids are a wee bit older and don't need the same toys around as the little ones. You're right, in the grand scheme of things, that few weeks are not so bad after all.

Your families will be glad to see you all on the webcam too. You must have felt lost without your pc.

Welcome to Canada :thumbup:

burton bunch Mar 17th 2007 12:44 am

Originally Posted by Elli and Paul (Post 4526648)
Hi everyone

Just wanted to say a big hi and thanks for all the kind wishes and words of support to us, they mean the world.:D

The landing/immigration nightmare is now completely sorted and I'm now a permanent resident, thank goodness, was a little :mad: around this time too.

OMG What a rollercoaster :ohmy: It's been quite hard as our container arrived in Canada on schedule but due to the CN Rail strike it just sat in Montreal for weeks !! We couldn't do a thing and no-one could tell us when we'd get it.

However we have it now, it arrived Wednesday and all ok, so far, but still can't locate a few things. At first I didn't really miss things as it was like a long holiday but life with only 8 holdalls was hard especially with two kids who missed their toys and clothes. I was making do and some bits we just had to buy, and borrow from new friends. I think the hardest part, besides not having the internet when you wanted it, was the lack of personal items including my family photos:(

When we unpacked it was like all our birthdays had come at once, and Megan and Joshua truly thought it was Christmas, their little faces were a picture.

So we're here and back on-line, we've bought a web cam as my plan was to be up and running in time for Mother's Day so we can chat and see our families.

All I would say is that there are hiccups along the way sometimes but the end goal is well worth the stress.

I've had some great advice from BE folk out here, you know who you are:) , and their words of support have helped on the low days to see the good in it all and a light at the end of the tunnel. A couple of bad days are nothing in a lifetime when you consider the enormity of the move.

I have loads of posts to catch up on and we look forward to hearing all your news and how your individual journeys are progressing.

Bye for now

Elli and Paul :D

hi hun

have pm'd u

Gay
x

Voyager970 Mar 17th 2007 1:48 am

Welcome back you guys, its greeeeeaaaattttt getting your stuff back, it was like Xmas all over again for us as well, the kids had a ball going through all the opened boxes again

Welcome to Canada

Eddie

Mountain Girl Mar 17th 2007 1:54 am

Originally Posted by Voyager970 (Post 4527338)
Welcome back you guys, its greeeeeaaaattttt getting your stuff back, it was like Xmas all over again for us as well, the kids had a ball going through all the opened boxes again

Welcome to Canada

Eddie

Yeah its amazing the attachment you have to certain items. It was nice when our stuff arrived too.

Welcome to the other side Elli and Paul. :)

It sounds like you had a nightmare landing. :blink: :huh:

ann m Mar 17th 2007 9:40 am

Hi guys - nice to hear from you again - glad it's all finally slotting into place - what a nightmare - I bet you keep checking your PR card don't you?!

How's Paul getting on? My hubby starts with CPS in July - somewhat dreading doing all that training again in many ways !

So, a large glass is raised in your direction (again) (mind you, it is a bit early, but hey ho) and here's to a smoother life in Edmonton from now on. Cheers!

or4ngecrush Mar 17th 2007 8:34 pm

Hello,

Glad your all safe and well, hope to hear more about your new life.

Emma

Flossie and Jim Mar 18th 2007 7:56 am

Hi Elli & Paul
Great to hear that you are getting settled now. Hopefully Kent will be losing a couple more of its population soon now that we have our VISAs!!!
All the best
Flossie

burton bunch Mar 18th 2007 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by Flossie and Jim (Post 4530029)
Hi Elli & Paul
Great to hear that you are getting settled now. Hopefully Kent will be losing a couple more of its population soon now that we have our VISAs!!!
All the best
Flossie

Oh Floss

Congrats to you and jim

Gay
x

Elli and Paul Mar 18th 2007 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by Flossie and Jim (Post 4530029)
Hi Elli & Paul
All the best
Flossie

Great news Flossie so pleased for you :)

Linda P Mar 18th 2007 4:16 pm

Hi there,

Glad the immigrations problem is finally sorted out!!!!

We have just got the keys to the house, so I will ring you soon!!!

Linda
XX

Butch Cassidy Mar 18th 2007 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by Linda P (Post 4531101)

Linda
XX

AHEM!!!!!

:p

Elli and Paul Mar 18th 2007 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by Linda P (Post 4531101)
Hi there,

Glad the immigrations problem is finally sorted out!!!!

Linda
XX

Great news Linda :)

Debbie did mention that the move was coming soon. Hope that your house will become a happy home.

Elli :)

Elli and Paul Mar 18th 2007 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy (Post 4531423)
AHEM!!!!!

;)

Linda P Mar 19th 2007 1:26 pm

:thumbsup:

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy (Post 4531423)
AHEM!!!!!