British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   He's baaaaccckkkk..... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/hes-baaaaccckkkk-822459/)

bats May 7th 2014 5:44 pm

Re: He's baaaaccckkkk.....

Originally Posted by Oakvillian (Post 11250538)
So, do the assembled sages of BE think that Ford is actually in a rehab program? Everything that has been said or written about the supposed "football camp" atmosphere, his outbound phonecalls to colleagues and constituents, even a media interview, all scream that this is not a man serious about getting himself sorted out.

One comment from somebody even more cynical than myself suggested that he's running short of campaign cash and this is a really good way to step away from the election campaign for a couple of months to save money.

Whatever's going on, if he's not in a proper program then he's insulting not only the voters, but all those who are, really, facing the demons of their own addiction. I don't want to know where he is, but some independent (i.e. not his brother's) corroboration that he is actually undergoing inpatient treatment would help to clarify the situation...

Magnum, can't you do a bit of unpaid freelance work and track him down for us? :p

I thought his brother was about to dump him and go for the Mayors job himself.

Oakvillian May 7th 2014 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by bats (Post 11250558)
I thought his brother was about to dump him and go for the Mayors job himself.

Doug Ford, the Enabler-in-Chief?

I've seen some commentary that has picked up on the precise wording of Rob Ford's statement last week. He didn't explicitly say that he was going to check in to a rehab facility. He has (once again) allowed his brother to make explicit claims on his behalf - some suggest this will give him "you didn't ask the right questions"-style plausible deniability when it turns out he's been at a weight-loss camp instead of an addiction rehab centre.

I don't know whether Doug is dropping Rob, or is it Rob that's dropping Doug in the smelly stuff? Either way, what a lovely example of brotherly love and support. Nice family, not.

SchnookoLoly May 7th 2014 6:03 pm

I'm skeptical on whether or not he's in rehab. I suspect, as you said Oakvillian, he's playing some bullsh*t technicality.

For example. He's saying he's in rehab, and we are all assuming he's in the typical locked-down cut-off-from-the-world-except-family type of rehab we all generally think of.

He's probably in something that's more like a "halfway house" - lots more freedoms and much less strict, and he's calling it "rehab".

As for Doug... http://i.imgur.com/1lZzYS8.jpg *shudder*

magnumpi May 7th 2014 6:06 pm

According to sources he never made it to the US. He is in re-hab, but know not where ??

Any guesses? Maybe at a Niagara winery, or in his garden shed making more bobble heads

Oink May 7th 2014 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by Oakvillian (Post 11250538)
So, do the assembled sages of BE think that Ford is actually in a rehab program? Everything that has been said or written about the supposed "football camp" atmosphere, his outbound phonecalls to colleagues and constituents, even a media interview, all scream that this is not a man serious about getting himself sorted out.

One comment from somebody even more cynical than myself suggested that he's running short of campaign cash and this is a really good way to step away from the election campaign for a couple of months to save money.

Whatever's going on, if he's not in a proper program then he's insulting not only the voters, but all those who are, really, facing the demons of their own addiction. I don't want to know where he is, but some independent (i.e. not his brother's) corroboration that he is actually undergoing inpatient treatment would help to clarify the situation...

Magnum, can't you do a bit of unpaid freelance work and track him down for us? :p

Really? Why take it so personally? Is he really being held up as a beacon of moral or immoral leadership? Either vote for the fat twat or don't vote for the fat twat. Simples. :)

Oakvillian May 7th 2014 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 11250620)
Really? Why take it so personally? Is he really being held up as a beacon of moral or immoral leadership? Either vote for the fat twat or don't vote for the fat twat. Simples. :)

I'm not taking it personally at all - in fact, even if I were allowed to vote in Canada, as a dweller in the outer suburbs I wouldn't be able to vote in the Toronto election.

I was simply pointing out that taking the piss out of claims to be in rehab is possibly really quite insulting to anybody who has actually been through a rehab process. From everything I've heard, it's a harrowing, humbling, painful experience, and for somebody to call it "fun" and compare it to a football camp is pretty much taking the piss.

He is expecting the voting public to sympathise, forgive, and vote for him. I don't think it has anything to do with being held up as a beacon of moral or immoral leadership, but lying through your teeth and then blaming everyone else for not asking the right questions is pretty poor form even for as shallow a profession as municipal politics. Shame on Ford Nation for being so naive and gullible, I suppose...

Oink May 7th 2014 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by Oakvillian (Post 11250729)
I'm not taking it personally at all - in fact, even if I were allowed to vote in Canada, as a dweller in the outer suburbs I wouldn't be able to vote in the Toronto election.

I was simply pointing out that taking the piss out of claims to be in rehab is possibly really quite insulting to anybody who has actually been through a rehab process. From everything I've heard, it's a harrowing, humbling, painful experience, and for somebody to call it "fun" and compare it to a football camp is pretty much taking the piss.

He is expecting the voting public to sympathise, forgive, and vote for him. I don't think it has anything to do with being held up as a beacon of moral or immoral leadership, but lying through your teeth and then blaming everyone else for not asking the right questions is pretty poor form even for as shallow a profession as municipal politics. Shame on Ford Nation for being so naive and gullible, I suppose...

I agree, he's a disgusting person and if I could vote in the Toronto elections I would vote for him in a millisecond. I voted for McCain/Palin for President and would vote for her for President for similar reasons of hilarity. :thumbup:

Shard May 7th 2014 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 11250772)
I agree, he's a disgusting person and if I could vote in the Toronto elections I would vote for him in a millisecond. I voted for McCain/Palin for President and would vote for her for President for similar reasons of hilarity. :thumbup:

Please surrender your US passport at the earliest opportunity. ;)

London Mike May 9th 2014 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by Oakvillian (Post 11250729)

Quite agree with this. Everyone with an IQ of 50 or higher knows this is an "uh-oh, I might lose the election" stunt, and it is insulting. Hate the fat ****ing **** with every bone in body.

Novocastrian May 9th 2014 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by London Mike (Post 11254245)
Quite agree with this. Everyone with an IQ of 50 or higher knows this is an "uh-oh, I might lose the election" stunt, and it is insulting. Hate the fat ****ing **** with every bone in body.

Now Mike, you know what happened the last time you lost your self control.

Welcome back, BTW.

London Mike May 9th 2014 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 11254256)
Now Mike, you know what happened the last time you lost your self control.

Welcome back, BTW.

Not pretty ...
Ah thank you, and cheers Novo. You're a gentleman and a scholar.

Novocastrian May 9th 2014 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by London Mike (Post 11254264)
Not pretty ...
Ah thank you, and cheers Novo. You're a gentleman and a scholar.

As are you, sir. Any chance you can be at the Yard on June 20th?

London Mike May 9th 2014 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 11254277)
As are you, sir. Any chance you can be at the Yard on June 20th?

On it like a car bonnet

SchnookoLoly May 16th 2014 8:02 pm

Apparently this isn't over yet: http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/05...own-residents/