Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Help please, oil line is hit any ideas

Help please, oil line is hit any ideas

Old Dec 15th 2008, 8:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Help please, oil line is hit any ideas

I will be needing a helpline soon at this rate,
Any help please would be greatly appreciated

Besides fire the builders that is

The builders are here with the jackhammers and despite marking out the oil line they have hit it, Oil was gushing out and of course the tank is full,

I found some gaffer tape and managed to stop the flow ( turned off the boiler ) they seem to think that will hold

I am worried that as soon as we put the boiler back on the pressure will start pumping the leek again, I can't seem to find a way of isolating the tank which has 2000 ltrs in it anyone have any sensible suggestions,

Also just had to tell the one of them holding the pipe up, with his finger on the leak to put his cig out
Old Dec 15th 2008, 8:47 am
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help please, oil line is hit any ideas

what a nightmare CP

Sorry don't know anything about oil lines, hope you are able to sort something out soon

Surely the builders should be doing something to sort this out for you
Old Dec 15th 2008, 9:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nikki dreaming
what a nightmare CP

Sorry don't know anything about oil lines, hope you are able to sort something out soon

Surely the builders should be doing something to sort this out for you
Thanks Nikki, one of them went of to get something from Jewsons and came back with the same gaffer tape as i had already used

Not sure what is happening now they are sitting in the van drinking coffee
Old Dec 15th 2008, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

celtic warrior has a reputation beyond reputeceltic warrior has a reputation beyond reputeceltic warrior has a reputation beyond reputeceltic warrior has a reputation beyond reputeceltic warrior has a reputation beyond reputeceltic warrior has a reputation beyond reputeceltic warrior has a reputation beyond reputeceltic warrior has a reputation beyond reputeceltic warrior has a reputation beyond reputeceltic warrior has a reputation beyond reputeceltic warrior has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Coffeepot
Thanks Nikki, one of them went of to get something from Jewsons and came back with the same gaffer tape as i had already used

Not sure what is happening now they are sitting in the van drinking coffee
They're probably discussing over there cuppa, the best way of fixing the F..k up they have made

Either that or thinking of a Bollocks excuse to wrangle out of paying for there mistake
Old Dec 15th 2008, 10:57 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Gaffer tape on your oil line is definitely on a temporary measure (as in hours or a day or so) - I think the line should be replaced because you don't want to have seepage once the hole has been filled in and no-one is responsible for repairs except you.

I would phone the head office of the building company. Definitely phone your oil supplier and ask for Service Dept to get it sorted out pronto.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 12:51 pm
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

I think your builders will be paying for a new oil line to be installed.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

Thomasst has a brilliant futureThomasst has a brilliant futureThomasst has a brilliant futureThomasst has a brilliant futureThomasst has a brilliant futureThomasst has a brilliant future

Sorry to read about this mishap/"cock up" . You should contact the guys who service the boiler as they usually carry joiners that can put two pieces of pipe together. I assume this is copper pipe covered in plastic ? Turn off at the tank and get the builders out of the van to fix! or call a plumber/corgi engineer and bill the building company .
The other concern (depending on how much oil leaked ) is the enviroment agency who will insist a complete clean up of the area if lots spilled. This can be very serious .
Old Dec 15th 2008, 3:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by celtic warrior
They're probably discussing over there cuppa, the best way of fixing the F..k up they have made

Either that or thinking of a Bollocks excuse to wrangle out of paying for there mistake
Turns out they never even informed the boss, he just came round to see if everything was ok after the roof saga, his partner then arrived as well both very apologetic ( which doesn't alter the fact they did it but at least they were suitably embarrassed

Originally Posted by Yes-can-do
Gaffer tape on your oil line is definitely on a temporary measure (as in hours or a day or so) - I think the line should be replaced because you don't want to have seepage once the hole has been filled in and no-one is responsible for repairs except you.

I would phone the head office of the building company. Definitely phone your oil supplier and ask for Service Dept to get it sorted out pronto.
The boss has fixed it temporary with a new piece of pipe etc, he managed to turn it off at the tank thank goodness.

Originally Posted by MB-Realtor
I think your builders will be paying for a new oil line to be installed.

Thats a big yes they said straight away they would replace it

Originally Posted by Thomasst
Sorry to read about this mishap/"cock up" . You should contact the guys who service the boiler as they usually carry joiners that can put two pieces of pipe together. I assume this is copper pipe covered in plastic ? Turn off at the tank and get the builders out of the van to fix! or call a plumber/corgi engineer and bill the building company .
The other concern (depending on how much oil leaked ) is the enviroment agency who will insist a complete clean up of the area if lots spilled. This can be very serious .
I couldn't turn the tank off that was half the problem, thankfully not too much oil spilled they have dug up all the contaminated rubble and soil as they are digging 2.6 mts down and all around for the foundations etc i think that should be okay,

Thanks for your replys everyone,

Wonder what tomorrow will bring
Old Dec 15th 2008, 5:19 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Wonder what tomorrow will bring
There's a leading question you probably don't want to know the answer to.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 5:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by CaptainHook
There's a leading question you probably don't want to know the answer to.
Hi CH hows you ?

Im wondering weather ni should get up tomorrow

On there way out tonight they have stored the dumper and digger round the back and put the jackhammers in the Barn with some other easily lifted equipment, i said to them to move the dishwasher being stored in there along with some other kitchen stuff, one of the blokes knocked over the jack hammer and its scraped all down one side of the dishwasher, we will look tomorrow as the light is fading but i know its damaged as i could feel it,

Bloody builders

Im getting worried as they are bringing in a bigger digger and more men tomorrow, wonder if that means more damage

oh well keep smiling eh
Old Dec 15th 2008, 8:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

LotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to all

one of the blokes knocked over the jack hammer and its scraped all down one side of the dishwasher, we will look tomorrow as the light is fading but i know its damaged as i could feel it,

)

So that is a new dishwasher you will be getting too.....

I remember having builders in doing some work on our house in the UK (person before us had removed the sash windows, knocked through and put in big picture windows.... and hadn't put in any joists etc to support the wall and the roof of course we knew nothing about this until a couple of years after moving in there were huge big cracks appearing all over and the front of the house started falling down. ended up with having to get it rebuilt
Old Dec 15th 2008, 8:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by LotteW
So that is a new dishwasher you will be getting too.....

I remember having builders in doing some work on our house in the UK (person before us had removed the sash windows, knocked through and put in big picture windows.... and hadn't put in any joists etc to support the wall and the roof of course we knew nothing about this until a couple of years after moving in there were huge big cracks appearing all over and the front of the house started falling down. ended up with having to get it rebuilt
OMGoodness thats terrible, wonder why we pay surveyors sometimes don't you ?

Where the dishwasher is marked down one side it won't be seen its being built in, but i will point it out to them tomorrow and make a note,

I am keeping a diary after the fiasco with the roof,

What worries me is they are going to collect all the french doors and glass and wood sides to the link, I told the boss they had better not get damaged in any way shape or form as they are only being oiled and not painted
Old Dec 15th 2008, 10:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond repute

at least they're payingfor their cockup...thats something. Good luck with it. Can you negotiate a discount for all the trouble they've been?
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 1:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well not a good start to the new year im sorry to say, begining to think there is a conspirucy to stop us from finishing this house so we can get to Canada

Since my last post i haven't told you of the mishaps but today i am so fed up i am wanting some good luck vibes please,

Story so far roof finished and Utility/store room demolished ready for the new link to the Barn, all the concrete has been removed around the house, since the last oil strike the builders managed to go through the armoured cable to the electrics despite having a great big yellow BEWARE all over it, back through the oil line again and block up the drains ( all of them ) to the septic tank as well as other small matters like taking all the concrete across the grass hence churning it up instead of going round and up the drive

Anyway this time it wasn't them because of problems foiund when digging the foundations we had to get a piling company in to put in the legs so to speak for a floating platform , well they managed to cause damage to the oil line right by the house where the Tiger loop feeds the oil into the house, this wasn't spotted until a couple of days ago when i went to investigate having smelt oil, seems we have lost over 2,000 lts of oil

Called the company and they basically were very rude and told me they weren't accepting any responsability and wouldn't even come and look until next week, i said i had young children here it was-4 and had no heating as i needed to get the oil line fixed, said that was my problem

I called our builders got an answer phone they were on holiday til monday and was getting desperate as i couldn't get hold of anyone to do the repair.

The builder called me back and said he had arranged for his brother in law to come and sort it out within the hour all previous problems forgiven for that haha

true to his word came and sorted and got the little bit of oil left working again,

I called our insurance and they have now taken over sent someone this morning all the way from Manchester have notified the envirnomental peeps

He has arranged for a clean up company to come on monday also have our structural engineer coming and the builder Env Health and someone from the pilings company to be here

Best case as it has gone under the building is they remove the contaminated soil but because of the problems with the foundations ( hence the pilings ) and the cellar it could be a lot more serious, fingers crossed it isn't and its located quickly, we are surrounded by agricultural fields as well as all the ditches that collect the rain water etc from both the roads and the fields.

Also OHs car broke down this am and that is a major cost so things not going too well at the moment. oh yes and we have a ceiling collapsing full of rubble in the lower hall due to the vibration from the pilings which were put in 7 meters deep.

Worse case the insurance chap told me is the house could have to be demolished WTFlip............... but he said that is rare ( nice of him to share that eh )

boohoo im off to cry now
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 1:41 pm

purple80 is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh my god what a terrible time your having, I hope everything gets resolved, and that they don't have to demolish your house. You seem to have had so many problems.

Sending you Karma and hoping that it all gets sorted quickly!

Charlie x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.