Healthy weights

Old Oct 1st 2015, 9:32 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Healthy weights

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
Yes - short bursts of high energy exercise. Started at just 4 mins, 5 days a week, I know I was skeptical too but figured it couldn't hurt. Apparently it increases your metabolic rate and it seems that it did because weight pretty much fell off. I have increased that to between 6 and 20 mins a day now, generally around 10.

Then diet was a reduction in some carbohydrates like pasta and bread, but still eating fruits, vegetables and beans. Lots of good fats too like avocado, olives and nuts. Then once a week you can have whatever you want. I found it doable because I didn't have to cook a separate meal for me, say I was cooking chilli for the family then I would have the meat but put mine over spinach instead of pasta or rice. I could work this switch with most meals. It has pretty much become a lifestyle change now, I stick to the principles but not rigorously now.
It sounds like a very effective regime. I saw a Michael Mosley program on high intensity training, and it concluded it was very beneficial in many ways, including metabolism boost. I would like to try it, but in my own case, fear cardiac arrest
Old Oct 1st 2015, 10:16 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

...I had to put some effort in, but the main thing was finding a programme that worked for me and sticking to it, which means it can't be too onerous. Its been a year now since I started, I had lost the weight by April, it has been steady since then
Then diet was a reduction in some carbohydrates like pasta and bread...
I did something similar in the 90s but I counted calories as well as cutting out potato and bread, fairly strictly too. Although It got to the point where I didn't really need to, I still did, to keep myself focused.

I then broke the habit by going to Kos for two weeks, eating out every night. When I got back home I couldn't get it going again and after a Greek Sept/October, England felt colder than it probably was.

But at least I was 30lbs lighter than when I started.

Then once a week you can have whatever you want.
That was always my problem. Breaking the good habit has always made it difficult to get back on track.
It has pretty much become a lifestyle change now, I stick to the principles but not rigorously now.
Originally Posted by Shard
It sounds like a very effective regime.
But that's just it, when you find something that works, it's not really a regime. Of course it would be so much better not to need the change.
From May and without being at all strict but cutting out bread and potato I lost 35lbs by the end of August. I've stalled a bit since then but providing it doesn't all go back on, I'll be starting winter from a much better point than usual because I always gain a few lbs then.
Old Oct 1st 2015, 11:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I did something similar in the 90s but I counted calories as well as cutting out potato and bread, fairly strictly too. Although It got to the point where I didn't really need to, I still did, to keep myself focused.

I then broke the habit by going to Kos for two weeks, eating out every night. When I got back home I couldn't get it going again and after a Greek Sept/October, England felt colder than it probably was.

That was always my problem. Breaking the good habit has always made it difficult to get back on track.

But that's just it, when you find something that works, it's not really a regime. Of course it would be so much better not to need the change.
From May and without being at all strict but cutting out bread and potato I lost 35lbs by the end of August. I've stalled a bit since then but providing it doesn't all go back on, I'll be starting winter from a much better point than usual because I always gain a few lbs then.
That has always been my problem too, I would think "oh well I have blown it for this week, carry on as normal and start again on Monday". The way that this plan was structured, the one day of eating 'whatever' is part of the plan, its necessary to reset your metabolism that gets used to the new way of eating. Therefore I hadn't messed up or cheated, I didn't feel any guilt and as I hadn't broken the diet it wasn't a case of getting back to it. I could also pick the day, so if I had an event to go to I could make that my eat anything day, which cuts out the feelings of deprivation. Hence the massive plate of nachos that the folks at the last Toronto meetup saw me put away!
Old Oct 1st 2015, 11:31 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

...Hence the massive plate of nachos that the folks at the last Toronto meetup saw me put away!

If I'm "being good" I can easily have a Friday evening (every Friday evening) armed with a couple of large whisky 7ups accompanied by dry roasted nuts without doing any 'damage' at all.

Maybe if I have the "right sort of movie" to watch - because some movies go really well with that drink - I might do it on a Saturday as well and still no harm done.

But if my stepmother comes home with one of those magnificent eclairs that Sobeys sell, I'm done for. "Since I'm having this, I may as well have that too."

And then the next day "well, compared to what I had yesterday, this isn't bad" even though it's not a good idea.
Old Oct 1st 2015, 11:33 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Looking on a BMI table I would say 185-215 lbs ... that's 23-25 BMI which is ok considering your age. Maybe aim at 195-205 lbs as a range.
I would not always pay attention to BMI scales as it does not take into account muscle mass, which weighs more then fat.
I am considered overweight by BMI (and by Vancouver vanity standards) but I have a lot of muscle as well.
As long as you feel happy in yourself and you feel healthy then that is all that matters
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 3:04 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't you keep fit by walking to 12 different supermarkets with a sack full of coupons?
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 12:52 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Don't you keep fit by walking to 12 different supermarkets with a sack full of coupons?
The same jokey comments - especially inaccurate, exaggerated ones - don't get funnier no matter how many times repeated.

It's just trolling. I thought you were above that.
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 1:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

That has always been my problem too, I would think "oh well I have blown it for this week, carry on as normal and start again on Monday". The way that this plan was structured, the one day of eating 'whatever' is part of the plan, its necessary to reset your metabolism that gets used to the new way of eating. Therefore I hadn't messed up or cheated, I didn't feel any guilt and as I hadn't broken the diet it wasn't a case of getting back to it. I could also pick the day, so if I had an event to go to I could make that my eat anything day, which cuts out the feelings of deprivation. Hence the massive plate of nachos that the folks at the last Toronto meetup saw me put away!
Does your regime/diet have a name? or published set of rules?
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 2:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gryphea
Does your regime/diet have a name? or published set of rules?
I started out using 'six minutes to skinny' from Craig Ballantyne which comes with exercise videos and nutrition plans. I really like the follow along videos, mostly because two of the guys that run them are really funny, so I got more of them from Craig's Turbulence Training/Early to Rise programme. The emphasis is on doing what you can, and they demonstrate alternatives for most of the exercises, so if you have bad knees for example they suggest exercises that don't involve jumping.

Total expenditure for the year has been $40, way cheaper than gym membership and because I exercise at home in 10-20 mins I find that I have no excuses. I can be done in the time it takes my coffee to percolate.
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 3:59 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
And Oink we have some workout DVD's we got for 2 bucks at a garage sale we are doing on rainy crummy days, and on the nice days we go out and run and walk with the dog which is helping, we are doing about 30 mins a day right now, on our way to a goal of 1 hour each day, we tried to do 1 hour right out of the gate, but to not fail, going slowly seems to be the best route to build up the body.

I also ride my bike a couple days per week. I cut sugary drinks out and have lost a couple pounds from that before even adjusting diet which we have just started.

Wife has a harder time, her medications create an out of whack blood sugar situation, which is the main cause of her weight gain, before the medications she never had a struggle with weight and the medications are well known to cause weight gain in people who otherwise would not gain the weight based on their diet.

That's great. Sort of an informal rule-of-thump is to exercise where you're huffing and puffing and sweating for at least 20-30mins per day, you want intensity rather than duration. If you add in some weights, push-ups, squats and chin ups that'll strengthen you. Basically swap fat for muscle and you'll be as happy as Happy Larry.

As for your wife, if she's having negative side effects with her medication, I'd suggest she goes and discuss this with her GP, there maybe an alternative therapy to help her that doesn't impact her weight because you don't don't want to solve one problem only to make another one.
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 4:09 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
That's great. Sort of an informal rule-of-thump is to exercise where you're huffing and puffing and sweating for at least 20-30mins per day, you want intensity rather than duration. If you add in some weights, push-ups, squats and chin ups that'll strengthen you. Basically swap fat for muscle and you'll be as happy as Happy Larry. As for your wife, if she's having negative side effects with her medication, I'd suggest she goes and discuss this with her GP, there maybe an alternative therapy to help her that doesn't impact her weight because you don't don't want to solve one problem only to make another one.
Never mind Dr Oz ..... new dude on the block is Dr Oink!
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 4:21 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Never mind Dr Oz ..... new dude on the block is Dr Oink!

You could of said something but then you'd probably want a fee.

Someone in our gym asked me whether I was training for something specific, I replied, old age.
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 4:55 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

The same jokey comments - especially inaccurate, exaggerated ones - don't get funnier no matter how many times repeated.

It's just trolling. I thought you were above that.
nofunallowed.jpg

On topic: I maintain my weight, by weighing myself every couple of days and if I'm above 66kg (10st 5) I eat less and if I'm below I eat more. Seems to work pretty well at preventing hamness.
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by Alan2005
nofunallowed.jpg

On topic: I maintain my weight, by weighing myself every couple of days and if I'm above 66kg (10st 5) I eat less and if I'm below I eat more. Seems to work pretty well at preventing hamness.
I'm 6' 1" and keep it below 12st 5, anymore I drink less.
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 5:25 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
You could of said something but then you'd probably want a fee. Someone in our gym asked me whether I was training for something specific, I replied, old age.
You give good medical advice- better than some of the idiots I work with!Payment in Salmon/crab is always appreciated if you insist- your fish pie thread mad me drool!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.