Healthy living 2020

Old Feb 4th 2020, 7:43 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Healthy living 2020

Yes, we all want to eat healthier and exercise more. This is the thread where anyone and everyone can share their hopes, their wishes, their fears, but most of all, their support for everyone who is trying to improve their health. This thread is for admissions, boasts, fears, encouragement, celebration, commiseration, encouragement, encouragement, encouragement and encouragement.

Please post anything and everything that you think will help you and fellow BE-ers to be more healthy.
Old Feb 4th 2020, 7:55 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Healthy living 2020

I could take the tram to work but I choose to cycle each day, because the European system encourages it - it's not terribly far, only 9km each way. But that amounts to 6,000km per year, for hardly any effort. Imagine if the majority of UK workers took the same effort - the NHS would be much relieved, for sure!

Last edited by Jingsamichty; Feb 4th 2020 at 8:13 pm.
Old Feb 4th 2020, 9:29 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Just walking really, walking when the distance isn't long instead of taking transit, and when the weather permits, so this time of year hit and miss how often as the weather has been rough lately with rain. My wife is trying to eat mostly vegan, but its been somewhat difficult since its expensive, but she needs to as her liver isn't working well due to medications and doctors want her to lose weight, she is also exercising at the local community center with swim classes.

Riding a bike would be fun I think for shorter trips, unfortunately can't store a bike in our unit (not allowed per strata rules) and there is no available bike storage, and its a high theft area so locking a bike up outside is well asking for it to be stolen. Bikes don't last long locked in public, the cost of the bike rental things is too high to use on a regular basis, they really should make cycling easier.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Feb 4th 2020 at 9:31 pm.
Old Feb 4th 2020, 9:56 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

I was doing really well, going to the gym twice a week etc and then I took a 6 month maternity cover position and it's all fallen apart. Was planning to get back to the gym today but am absolutley exhausted after yet another sleep deprived night (many issues) so today I put my gym membership on a 6 month hold as the guilt of not going is not doing my conscience any good. We get a puppy at the end of the month so I'll not be gymming for a few months while she settles and we exercise together, and we have family coming in May. I do plan on doing some sort of workout at home, if I get into a decent routine at home maybe I can save money on the gym membership. If I don't get into a routine, August 1st will see me walking through the doors of the gym unless I go back earlier. Just got to stop eating all the bad stuff I've fallen into the habit of eating again too, so maybe this thread will bee the boot up the bum I need.
Old Feb 4th 2020, 10:03 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
I could take the tram to work but I choose to cycle each day, because the European system encourages it - it's not terribly far, only 9km each way. But that amounts to 6,000km per year, for hardly any effort. Imagine if the majority of UK workers took the same effort - the NHS would be much relieved, for sure!
I sooo envy you Jings...I used to do that...12 kms each way, most days and I loved it. I was faster than any public transport!

I am showing off because for the 2nd winter time here in Canada I haven't put on any weight. It has been hard, a real struggle. The first winter here I looked like a pregnant bear...I certainly ate for comfort. The yoyo effect between six months of solid freeze and not is hard to adjust to.

The physical problem with trying to be fit in winter in Atlantic Canada cannot be overstated. I managed to walk around the block at lunchtime. I disconnected my nearest printer at work...so now have to walk further for my printing...they are small steps, but hopefully good ones.

I love the feeling of being physically and mentally fit and on top of my game...and try hard to get there, sometimes it can be easier than others...days in winter are all uphill...

Great post only another 25 days and February is over, and Spring will be just round the corner
Old Feb 4th 2020, 10:26 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
The physical problem with trying to be fit in winter in Atlantic Canada cannot be overstated.

Snow clearing is very good, even from the sidewalks but that doesn't make them particularly walkable does it. On the back, more quiet, streets there will always be compacted snow (effectively ice) or loose snow that may be hiding ice. It's when it looks safe that you can be decieved.

So you take it slow and then it's not really exercise, just making sure you get where you need to go in one piece.

Where you can walk on the sidewalks you need to negotiate the corners where the city plow has blocked in the good work of the sidewalk tractor and most driveways where the resident or contactor has cleared the drive but has deposited a ridge across the sidewalk.

And then there are the stretches of sidewalks with the ridge of snow from the street plow on one side and the sidewalk tractor on the other. During a thaw, water runs off both sides onto the pathway and has nowhere to go. So it's a few inches of water to wade through. Then it freezes and is either ice or ice covered by water that you think is just water.

It's good that you can get out an about but it's not exercise in the normal sense.

Of course you can go to a trail somewhere which are cleared. But you need your car to drive there. Or maybe floor walking at the mall.

So you really just have to accept the winter weight and summer weight routine, trying either to keep the difference as small as you can or getting to winter weighing less than you did at the same stage the previous year.

I favour that second option and it's been working for five years now.

Unfortunately I can't do the cycling thing anymore. My knee joints can't do it. The last time I cycled to one of the stores - 10 minutes away - I knew I couldn't make it back and had to get a taxi for me and the bike.
Old Feb 4th 2020, 11:01 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Chocolate
Wine
Pork pies
Crisps
Cream in your coffee
A well balaced diet... can't beat it...
Old Feb 5th 2020, 2:33 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry, couldn't resist.

Old Feb 5th 2020, 3:17 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

This is a great thread. I've been pretty remiss with my gym habits lately but as the weather hopefully gets better I'll get back to it and get out onto the seawall. Last spring/summer I was running a 10k every other day and biking about 50k on my off days. I've just booked a week surfing in Tofino in July so making some strides to fitness. I'm put to shame by my 80 year old mate who bikes to the gym everyday and is there by 6:00am. He works out; weights, swimming, running etc for a couple of hours and then goes to work. On Saturday mornings he does the Grouse Grind even in the winter and then goes to work, I'm in awe.
Old Feb 5th 2020, 8:00 am
Lowering the tone

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
I was doing really well, going to the gym twice a week etc and then I took a 6 month maternity cover position and it's all fallen apart. Was planning to get back to the gym today but am absolutley exhausted after yet another sleep deprived night (many issues) so today I put my gym membership on a 6 month hold as the guilt of not going is not doing my conscience any good. We get a puppy at the end of the month so I'll not be gymming for a few months while she settles and we exercise together, and we have family coming in May. I do plan on doing some sort of workout at home, if I get into a decent routine at home maybe I can save money on the gym membership. If I don't get into a routine, August 1st will see me walking through the doors of the gym unless I go back earlier. Just got to stop eating all the bad stuff I've fallen into the habit of eating again too, so maybe this thread will bee the boot up the bum I need.
I've been getting on very well with PiYo workouts offered by beachbody.com - costs $99 for a year's membership and that gives you access to thousands of workout routines, including things like T25. I really like the PiYo ones though, they're great for core strength and flexibility.
Old Feb 5th 2020, 8:09 am
Lowering the tone

Anyone in Canada do Park Run? I've done a few in the UK, it's a non-competitive 5km park run organised entirely by volunteers, usually 9am on Saturday morning.
https://www.parkrun.ca/events/#geo=3.64/50.82/-98.92

5km is my limit for running, it's not my favourite exercise, but my wife has done a couple of marathons.
Old Feb 5th 2020, 12:13 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

I bought an exercise bike and an audible subscription.
Bike folds up to take up less condo space.
can put it in front of TV and watch while i exercise or listen to audio books.

i do a 30 minute interval session every other day. it really improves my mood
Old Feb 5th 2020, 12:55 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't had an alcoholic drink today.
Old Feb 5th 2020, 2:44 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

I did a yoga class for the first time in ages yesterday evening, previously around lunch I did interval training session so the yoga really helped with stretching my muscles in the evening - need to try and do more if this rather than going all out with high intensity all the time. Trying to do gym sessions 4 times a week with rest days - going 5-6 days in a row doesn’t work and I end up putting on more weight.

Im cutting back on coffee/caffeine (half a cup a day with almond milk and that’s my lot).

Other half is doing dry February and he’s already noticing how much more energy he has and how much better he plays hockey.

Old Feb 5th 2020, 4:44 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I haven't had an alcoholic drink today.
Day's not over yet....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.