Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Health and travel insurance

Health and travel insurance

Old Mar 29th 2010, 8:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health and travel insurance

Originally Posted by Pammy
OK, so we paid taxes when we were over there and not to mention it pensions of which we will never see, as far as I am concerned I am entitled to free treatment, I am still a UK citizen and have a UK passport.
The taxes you paid while you lived there do not entitle you to receive free treatment now you don't live there, unless you fall into one of the categories referred to in Jimf's link. It doesn't appear that you do.

As others have said, what you think you are entitled to and what you actually are entitled to are two very different things. You are still taking resources from current British taxpayers whether you like it or not.

I won't mention the Theft Act, under which you are likely to be committing a form of theft by obtaining a pecuniary advantage by deception. Tell the health providers that you are no longer a resident and, if they don't charge you, then fine. Keep that from them and, IMHO, you are committing an offence.
Old Mar 29th 2010, 9:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of light

Seeing as everyone is missing what I said-

When I was over in the UK and had my FREE treatment I was not aware I was screwing the system, for one thing my Doctor KNEW I was living in Canada, she was asking all about it and you know what call me stupid BUT I honestly never even thought it would be wrong, so there!
Old Mar 29th 2010, 9:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of light

OH BUT I do still think when you are born in a country you should still be entitled to free treatment in said country, I bet if I were an Olympic athlete I would be more than welcome to compete for the British Team although I live in Canada.

Footnote-Of course I am Scottish so no doubt if I lose I will be Scottish but if I win I will be British.....anyone else notice that
Old Mar 29th 2010, 9:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

OH BUT I do still think when you are born in a country you should still be entitled to free treatment in said country, I bet if I were an Olympic athlete I would be more than welcome to compete for the British Team although I live in Canada.
American citizens are not usually entitled to free treatment in said country. Being eligible to compete for a country is not the same thing.

Footnote-Of course I am Scottish so no doubt if I lose I will be Scottish but if I win I will be British.....anyone else notice that
I have never noticed a Scottish athlete winning, sorry!
Old Mar 29th 2010, 9:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

I have never noticed a Scottish athlete winning, sorry![/QUOTE]

OK, I'll give you that one
Old Mar 29th 2010, 9:39 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Don't give in! just quit scrounging of the NHS
Old Mar 29th 2010, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dollface
Don't give in! just quit scrounging of the NHS
AAAAAHHHHH, I didn't know I was scrounging, my doctor never said, its her fault

But I still think we should get it, c'mon all those waifs and strays that go over get benefits and free treatment............
Old Mar 29th 2010, 9:44 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

AAAAAHHHHH, I didn't know I was scrounging, my doctor never said, its her fault

But I still think we should get it, c'mon all those waifs and strays that go over get benefits and free treatment............
I won't send you to coventry - HOWEVER Pammy, you can't pay taxes to one country and expect free healthcare from another. I was born and bred in UK also, but wouldn't expect free healthcare as a non contributing party. I'm going in the summer and have taken out travel insurance for the family.

You're giving us Scots a bad name, lady
Old Mar 29th 2010, 9:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

I won't send you to coventry - HOWEVER Pammy, you can't pay taxes to one country and expect free healthcare from another. I was born and bred in UK also, but wouldn't expect free healthcare as a non contributing party. I'm going in the summer and have taken out travel insurance for the family.

You're giving us Scots a bad name, lady
I cant help it, I am a stubborn beast, I honestly just dont see why not, by the way I do have coverage wherever I go anyway
Old Mar 29th 2010, 9:52 pm

I cant help it, I am a stubborn beast, I honestly just dont see why not, by the way I do have coverage wherever I go anyway
you're barking
Old Mar 29th 2010, 9:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

you're barking
I know, woof woof!

At least you get me, thanks
Old Mar 29th 2010, 11:07 pm

I know, woof woof!

At least you get me, thanks
y'mon
Old Mar 30th 2010, 2:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Thing is how come they give free treatment and benefits to non UK's when they land over there....you know who I mean
Because they are "residents".
Old Mar 30th 2010, 2:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

OK, so we paid taxes when we were over there and not to mention it pensions of which we will never see, as far as I am concerned I am entitled to free treatment, I am still a UK citizen and have a UK passport.
Why won't you see your pensions?
Old Mar 30th 2010, 11:31 am

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

I never buy travel / health insurance when I go back. When I was there in January I had to visit my daughters Dr as I got a chest infection, I told them I lived in Canada, it was no problem at all. I got prescription, paid the normal prescription cost at the chemist.

The way I look at it, rightly or wrongly I worked for 40 years in the UK, never claimed any benefits at all, so I think the odd prescription every now and then wont hurt too much.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.