Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Have you ever been to Bognor Regis?

Have you ever been to Bognor Regis?

Old Jan 17th 2017, 10:27 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Have you ever been to Bognor Regis?

Another thread (Rain in Nova Scotia) was mentioning Bognor...it reminded me that five years ago, just before I came here, I went to Butlins in Bognor. Never been to one before, but it struck me as a good choice as my son was ten and there was lots to do. I had to be in that area as my husband was writing an exam there, I'm not sure why.

The Butlins bit was not bad with a ten year old, we were busy doing physical things like Archery under cover so he was happy.

I do like the British coast seaside towns, there is something so quintessential that can't be found anywhere else. It stripped decades away and I was back with sand crunchy sandwiches on a day trip and hiring a wind break that did nothing to calm the howling gale and paddling in icy seas. British children are a hardy bunch.

That was my last trip to the UK in the last week of June, and it was thoroughly cold, grey and wet. I'm so glad I went though.

Little Hampton was my favorite for a day trip but we'd have to be up extra early and didn't get back till super late and I'd be so excited for days.

Where were your day trip specials to?

Yes, apologies, the Nova Scotia post brought a bit of nostalgia, quite unexpectedly.....
Old Jan 17th 2017, 10:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have you ever been to Bognor Regis?

Originally Posted by MillieF
Another thread (Rain in Nova Scotia) was mentioning Bognor...it reminded me that five years ago, just before I came here, I went to Butlins in Bognor. Never been to one before, but it struck me as a good choice as my son was ten and there was lots to do. I had to be in that area as my husband was writing an exam there, I'm not sure why.

The Butlins bit was not bad with a ten year old, we were busy doing physical things like Archery under cover so he was happy.

I do like the British coast seaside towns, there is something so quintessential that can't be found anywhere else. It stripped decades away and I was back with sand crunchy sandwiches on a day trip and hiring a wind break that did nothing to calm the howling gale and paddling in icy seas. British children are a hardy bunch.

That was my last trip to the UK in the last week of June, and it was thoroughly cold, grey and wet. I'm so glad I went though.

Little Hampton was my favorite for a day trip but we'd have to be up extra early and didn't get back till super late and I'd be so excited for days.

Where were your day trip specials to?

Yes, apologies, the Nova Scotia post brought a bit of nostalgia, quite unexpectedly.....

Must of been me LOL. I remember the day trips in Jersey and I must say that you have the most amazing coastal walks over there. St Brelades beach was great in summer and also Portelet including great pub food.
Old Jan 17th 2017, 12:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

GC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond repute

Hard to beat a day to Filey, taking a stroll over the Brig searching the rock pools for crabs. Then back to one of the seafront cafes by the lifeboat station for a mug of tea and a baked potatoe with a variety of toppings.
Theres also crazy golf on offer for the adrenalin junkies.
Old Jan 17th 2017, 12:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Nostalgia eh
As a family we chose the Butlins in Minehead Somerset.

You haven't lived until you have arrived in Blackpool.
Donkey ride on the beach. Dipping your toes in the pristine waters of the Irish sea. Bought a stick of Blackpool rock and a Kiss Me Quick hat. Walked along Blackpool prom and caught a tram to get you to the Pleasure Beach and spent a few quid trying to win a gigantic stuffed animal.
Sat down at a fish and chip shop for lunch or walked around eating the same out of newspaper wrapping or polystyrene tray.
Visited the Tower. If at the right time of year took in the Illuminations.

Ah Blackpool what a tourist mecca which puts it on par with the Grand Canyon or Taj Mahal or the Great Wall Of China.
Old Jan 17th 2017, 12:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Nostalgia eh

Donkey ride on the beach. Dipping your toes in the pristine waters of the Irish sea. Bought a stick of Blackpool rock and a Kiss Me Quick hat. Walked along Blackpool prom and caught a tram to get you to the Pleasure Beach and spent a few quid trying to win a gigantic stuffed animal.
Sat down at a fish and chip shop for lunch or walked around eating the same out of newspaper wrapping or polystyrene tray.

Ah Blackpool what a tourist mecca which puts it on par with the Grand Canyon or Taj Mahal or the Great Wall Of China.

LOL and I thought you were joking. Never been, so maybe worth a visit
Blackpool has one of the best shorelines in the world. | VisitBlackpool
Blackpool was the only British resort in the top 10, reaffirming its position as the UK’s favourite beach destination.
The full league table reads:
  1. Dubai
  2. Blackpool
  3. Gulf Of Mexico
  4. Cape Cod National Seashore
  5. Inchydoney, West Cork, Ireland
  6. Twelve Apostles, Victoria, Australia
  7. Cape Town, South Africa
  8. Cavelossim, Goa, India
  9. Krabi, Thailand
  10. Whitehaven Beach, Australia
Old Jan 17th 2017, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Nostalgia eh

May I have some of your magic mushrooms? Your description of Blackpool would suggest ingestion of said mushrooms encourages phenomenal mind altering qualities, hopefully having limited longevity before realty pushes it's way once more into the recipients consciousness....And one finds themselves enveloped in the solace of Lytham St Anne's.....😉😎

Last edited by macadian; Jan 17th 2017 at 12:37 pm.
Old Jan 17th 2017, 12:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Nostalgia eh
Yeah, I'm sure the whole Blackpool Promenade will get a UNESCO World Heritage Designation soon.
Old Jan 17th 2017, 1:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macadian
May I have some of your magic mushrooms? Your description of Blackpool would suggest ingestion of said mushrooms encourages phenomenal mind altering qualities, hopefully having limited longevity before realty pushes it's way once more into the recipients consciousness....And one finds themselves enveloped in the solace of Lytham St Anne's.....😉😎
Lytham St Annes is a bit like Southport. Posh people go there to retire and die.
Morecambe on the other hand is where they stand the dead people up in bus shelters to make it look like there is life there.
Old Jan 17th 2017, 1:26 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I remember sheltering under the pier at Bognor Regis and taking a bottle of Dandelion and Burdock back to the B&B. I can remember a funfair at Littlehampton on the same trip and I think we also stayed at Southsea and had a hovercraft visit to the Isle of Wight all in the same week.

Family holidays tended to be a week in a caravan at Woolacombe, a self cater apartment at Exmouth or Weymouth and B&Bs in different places over a week around Devon and Cornwall.

"Are we nearly there?"

Day trips from Bristol were mostly Weston-super-Mare, Burnham-on-Sea or Brecon Beacons area. Oh yes, Sidmouth and Seaton where my younger brother got hit by a car and bizarrely escaped with only a tooth knocked out.
Old Jan 17th 2017, 2:36 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GC44
Hard to beat a day to Filey, taking a stroll over the Brig searching the rock pools for crabs. Then back to one of the seafront cafes by the lifeboat station for a mug of tea and a baked potatoe with a variety of toppings.
Theres also crazy golf on offer for the adrenalin junkies.
You can't have had a proper visit to Filey if you didn't have fish and chips. forget about the baked potato (correct spelling)
Old Jan 17th 2017, 2:37 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Lytham St Annes is a bit like Southport. Posh people go there to retire and die.
Morecambe on the other hand is where they stand the dead people up in bus shelters to make it look like there is life there.
My sister has lived in Lytham for many years.. posh bastard
Old Jan 17th 2017, 2:45 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Sidmouth and Seaton where my younger brother got hit by a car and bizarrely escaped with only a tooth knocked out.
Hope Seaton will be OK, moving there in 6 weeks time.
Old Jan 17th 2017, 2:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by mikelincs
My sister has lived in Lytham for many years.. posh bastard
There are 2 different towns one is Lytham and the other is Lytham St Annes.
Both are on the A584 and separated by Ansdell.
Old Jan 17th 2017, 2:58 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Donkey ride on the beach. Dipping your toes in the pristine waters of the Irish sea. Bought a stick of Blackpool rock and a Kiss Me Quick hat.

Walked along Blackpool prom and caught a tram to get you to the Pleasure Beach and spent a few quid trying to win a gigantic stuffed animal.

There is this thing about Blackpool being trashy, dirty & not a safe place to visit

My memories of it in the 50's & early 60's, was on any visit no matter what time of year it was it was always raining & I always ended up with the runs from whatever was in the water or the posioned greasy foods. Never learned from that to brown bag it

Visted a few times when on holiday in the UK from Canada, doesn't change my view on it

Not a place I'd recommend to anyone, even to stay even a night there... then again
Old Jan 17th 2017, 3:25 pm
Concierge

There are 2 different towns one is Lytham and the other is Lytham St Annes.
Both are on the A584 and separated by Ansdell.
She's in the very posh bit, houses around the £3,000,000 mark, premier league footballers etc, they bought some 25 years ago when he became head librarian for Lancashire.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.