Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

has the time come for a black santa ?

has the time come for a black santa ?

Old Dec 19th 2013, 8:19 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: has the time come for a black santa ?

Originally Posted by Shard

They're gay, so no problem!
I never knew that. How do you know? Or how can you tell?
Old Dec 19th 2013, 8:21 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
It seems the school board would disagree with you. The teacher concerned has been disciplined and the child in question placed in another class. "2nd or 3rd hand remarks on an internet article" is your attempt, I suppose, to belittle the story by dismissing its source? About 10 seconds on Google would have indicated the story has been covered by pretty much every significant news outlet in the US, well over 300 sources for news articles concerning the school named in the OP. The school's principal, the chair of the education board, a parent of the child concerned, have all been quoted directly and on the record.

The teacher made fun of a kid because he's black. It was clearly not acceptable to do so. Why is it that you think there is anything funny here?
It's not worth the bother with the racism defense force. He just hand waves away anything that he finds difficult to answer, which tells you all you need to know really.
Old Dec 19th 2013, 8:21 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
They have portraits of John Inman on their bedroom walls?
Old Dec 19th 2013, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

koalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond repute

It seems the school board would disagree with you. The teacher concerned has been disciplined and the child in question placed in another class. "2nd or 3rd hand remarks on an internet article" is your attempt, I suppose, to belittle the story by dismissing its source? About 10 seconds on Google would have indicated the story has been covered by pretty much every significant news outlet in the US, well over 300 sources for news articles concerning the school named in the OP. The school's principal, the chair of the education board, a parent of the child concerned, have all been quoted directly and on the record.

The teacher made fun of a kid because he's black. It was clearly not acceptable to do so. Why is it that you think there is anything funny here?
Thanks for this truly excellent post.

I am so happy to hear the case was taken seriously and dealt with appropriately by everyone concerned.
Old Dec 19th 2013, 8:33 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

About 10 seconds on Google would have indicated the story has been covered by pretty much every significant news outlet in the US, well over 300 sources for news articles concerning the school named in the OP. The school's principal, the chair of the education board, a parent of the child concerned, have all been quoted directly and on the record.
This shows how very far the world (at least the English-speaking world) has come in rejecting racist attitudes. A decade or two ago, this wouldn't be a news story, because the teacher's actions would not have been seen in such negative light. It's a change for the better.
Old Dec 19th 2013, 9:27 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
I thought all short people were gay?

Short men in F350 trucks being the exception - they just have little man syndrome.
Old Dec 20th 2013, 9:56 pm
JGK
BE Enthusiast

JGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond repute

Santa Claus a guy who can:

Can make his north pole base untraceable
Carry thousands of times his own weight in Prezzies.
Make reindeer fly at supra-light speeds
Distort time in order to visit everywhere in the world in 24 hours

The ability to change colour to suit would seem to be small potatoes after that
Old Dec 21st 2013, 3:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Perhaps you are confusing discrimination and racism. Unfortunately, in this case the teacher is guilty of both.

People are preoccupied by such matters because those at the receiving end are, through no fault of their own, subject to unequal treatment. In the West, we have decided during your lifetime, that we are no longer going to dwell on these artificial distinctions. It is as simple as that. I don't have a problem with the terminology (calling black kid black for example) but I have a problem when there is an issue of inequality.
Santa is made up BS
Little kids are encouraged to believe this fantasy
Good for them, no harm done
There is no racism at play but merely stupidity and poor judgement
I intentionally started this thread with a carefully worded title
I could have written 'racist teacher', which I intentionally did not
In order to accuse someone of racism, one would have had to have been an eye witness, noted the tone and body language, and seen the teacher's past record and, as far as I know, none at this forum were there when it happened

Last edited by montreal mike; Dec 21st 2013 at 3:25 pm.
Old Dec 21st 2013, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orly

I've said what I think about this piece. I have no problem with a black kid dressing up as Santa because I don't care. But at the same time I'm not going to go on a witch hunt after a teacher based on what are clearly 2nd or 3rd hand remarks on an internet article.

A number of people in this thread seem to be getting hot under the collar. I find that slightly funny. If you think the teacher is some evil racist based on an article that has one side of the story then that's your choice. I find that bordering on the ridiculous.

Why are there not more at this forum who are able to figure that out?

Last edited by montreal mike; Dec 21st 2013 at 3:22 pm.
Old Dec 21st 2013, 3:48 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by montreal mike
Santa is made up BS
Little kids are encouraged to believe this fantasy
Good for them, no harm done
There is no racism at play but merely stupidity and poor judgement
I intentionally started this thread with a carefully worded title
I could have written 'racist teacher', which I intentionally did not
In order to accuse someone of racism, one would have had to have been an eye witness, noted the tone and body language, and seen the teacher's past record and, as far as I know, none at this forum were there when it happened
If I am being charitable then this is how I would describe your posts in this thread.
Old Dec 21st 2013, 3:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Alan2005
If I am being charitable then this is how I would describe your posts in this thread.
No offence taken

Bear in mind that opinions are exactly like arse-holes, everybody has one

This has proven to be an eye-opening thread to the extent it is predictable as it shows how some people react and think
Old Dec 21st 2013, 3:57 pm

no offence taken

bear in mind that opinion are like arse-holes, everybody has one

this has proven to be an eye-opening thread to the extent it shows how some people react and think
Yes, it is. I'm glad you manipulated us all with you 'clever' wording. You sure exposed those of us who aren't racist or will defend people who say racist things.
Old Dec 21st 2013, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Yes, it is. I'm glad you manipulated us all with you 'clever' wording. You sure exposed those of us who aren't racist or will defend people who say racist things.
thanks for the astute comment

'manipulative' I consider that to be a compliment

Alas, you failed to add that it also exposes those amongst us who are racists, or who will defend racists, or those who have clear leanings in that direction

As those 'guilty' are obvious I do not need to name names
Old Dec 21st 2013, 4:15 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Alas, you failed to add that it also exposes those amongst us who are racists, or who will defend racists, or those who have clear leanings in that direction

TBH, I don't think there are any racists on this forum. But people do get "hot under the collar" when racist attitudes are accepted. The teacher clearly had a racist attitude. Maybe fifty years ago poking fun at a child in that way was seen as common sense, but these days it isn't. Society is striving to overlook features which were once seen as "racial" because now we know better, that there are no "races". A teacher should be extra aware of this, that's why many of us (and the US media) find it so unpalatable.
Old Dec 21st 2013, 4:42 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Oh Mikey, you're going in for mind games then?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.