Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

has the time come for a black santa ?

has the time come for a black santa ?

Old Dec 18th 2013, 2:11 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: has the time come for a black santa ?

Originally Posted by koalabear1
How can it be hilarious or even vaguely funny that a teacher stopped a child from dressing up as Santa purely because he was a black child and not white?

I am disgusted and horrified by the teacher's behaviour; I would be equally shocked if a black teacher did it to a white child: Santa is a non-existent entity who is supposed to be jolly and bring presents to children across the world. Who cares what colour his skin is supposed to be? Or if he is disabled, or gay or whatever.

I'm not preoccupied by skin colour, race etc etc but I feel strongly against discrimination. Be it against skin colour, gender, disability etc
Anyone laughing at discrimination against a school child is pretty disappointing to see.
I am with you on this.....When prince Harry years ago decided to wear that Nazi outfit, am sure we all saw what happened there. For someone to say because "they can be sarcastic" at times, they would have said such a thing too...is indeed disappointing

I don't see colour/gender/etc either, and in my line of work, there is zero tolerance for that nonsence. I'll waste no time time writing someone up if such a thing was brought to my knowledge.

There are people out there that just like to blame all that is wrong with this world, or their own demise on others, and minorities are usually an easy target for this i.e. "my life is horrible because immigrants are taking all the jobs", "Am not good academically because of the immigrants", "immigrants are taking all our women/men"...and on and on

People that have things going for them in life, don't worry about all this crap. You think the owner of Chelsea FC (Russian Jew) or my beloved Arsenal FC, worry about the colour of the players bringing in the crowds earning them money? It's a business and all they care about is profit. Point here? Colour/gender/sexual orientation is irrelevant
Old Dec 18th 2013, 2:11 pm
Forum Regular

koalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
But that's not the point. The fact that the teacher chose to remark on the kid's suitability based on the kid's skin colour is the point.

I agree, and can't see how people are missing that as the point.

When I was 5, I played the sun in the school play (we did that song that starts doe a deer a female deer, ray a drop of golden sun etc) I am not yellow, do not emit great heat or light and am not round. Luckily, that idiotic teacher wasn't around to say I was unrealistic according to her image of the sun.
Old Dec 18th 2013, 2:14 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Are you saying that because a lot (possibly most) people picture Santa as white, it is acceptable for a teacher to stop a black child from dressing up as Santa purely because he is black? <--- please note I have asked, not put words in your mouth

Saying Santa is certainly white comes across to me as a very "black and white" way of thinking (excuse the dreadful pun, but I couldn't think of a good alternative LOL)

Hey, I am white myself, and indeed do picture Santa as an old white male, but it's fine by me if people who don't match those criteria want to dress up as him. Especially when they are children!!! But even when they're not.

SANTA IS FICTIONAL

Makes you wonder if something goes missing in that class, where the teacher will look first doesn't it? I think it's fair enough to say "the Black kid"
Old Dec 18th 2013, 2:15 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

It's not just kids that have problems with plays as this video shows...

Old Dec 18th 2013, 2:35 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ultrarunner
I am with you on this.....When prince Harry years ago decided to wear that Nazi outfit, am sure we all saw what happened there. For someone to say because "they can be sarcastic" at times, they would have said such a thing too...is indeed disappointing

I don't see colour/gender/etc either, and in my line of work, there is zero tolerance for that nonsence. I'll waste no time time writing someone up if such a thing was brought to my knowledge.

There are people out there that just like to blame all that is wrong with this world, or their own demise on others, and minorities are usually an easy target for this i.e. "my life is horrible because immigrants are taking all the jobs", "Am not good academically because of the immigrants", "immigrants are taking all our women/men"...and on and on

People that have things going for them in life, don't worry about all this crap. You think the owner of Chelsea FC (Russian Jew) or my beloved Arsenal FC, worry about the colour of the players bringing in the crowds earning them money? It's a business and all they care about is profit. Point here? Colour/gender/sexual orientation is irrelevant
So you're a gooner! Now it all makes sense.
Old Dec 18th 2013, 3:03 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Are you saying that because a lot (possibly most) people picture Santa as white, it is acceptable for a teacher to stop a black child from dressing up as Santa purely because he is black? <--- please note I have asked, not put words in your mouth

Saying Santa is certainly white comes across to me as a very "black and white" way of thinking (excuse the dreadful pun, but I couldn't think of a good alternative LOL)

Hey, I am white myself, and indeed do picture Santa as an old white male, but it's fine by me if people who don't match those criteria want to dress up as him. Especially when they are children!!! But even when they're not.

SANTA IS FICTIONAL
Was the kid actually stopped?
Old Dec 18th 2013, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

koalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orly
Was the kid actually stopped?
From the article:

...... “Don’t you know Santa Claus is white?” the teacher reportedly asked. “Why are you wearing that?” Students at Cleveland High School in Rio Rancho, N.M., were allowed to dress as Santa, elves or reindeer. When ninth-grader Christopher Rougier arrived wearing a white beard and red Santa cap, the teacher ridiculed him.....

----------

Maybe not "stopped" as such but certainly made to feel he shouldn't wear a Santa outfit. I don't really think there is much difference because the boy couldn't have enjoyed it after that even if he wasn't literally told to change his clothes.
Old Dec 18th 2013, 8:05 pm
Banned

The teacher is bang out of order with racist views....period. Slice it whichever way you want
Old Dec 18th 2013, 8:14 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

The teacher is bang out of order with racist views....period. Slice it whichever way you want
Yes, I agree. There's no defending or justifying it and it saddens me that anyone has even tried.
Old Dec 18th 2013, 8:22 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Yes, I agree. There's no defending or justifying it and it saddens me that anyone has even tried.
Wow...I'll be damned, where did that come from?

Gobsmacked
Old Dec 18th 2013, 8:41 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow...I'll be damned, where did that come from?
It comes from not liking racists and apologists for racism.
Old Dec 19th 2013, 6:29 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe not "stopped"
So that's a no then?

Few too many thin skins around these days I think

I'm not religious but if I decided to dress up as the Pope and someone said "Don't you know the Pope is a Catholic? What are you doing wearing that?" the easy responses are "Yes I do" and "Because I wanted to".

Not "OMFG YOU <insert whatever -ist you like> HOW DARE YOU TELL ME THE POPE IS A CATHOLIC!"

Maybe it's just me...I'd find more important things to worry about.
Old Dec 19th 2013, 6:52 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orly
So that's a no then?

Few too many thin skins around these days I think

I'm not religious but if I decided to dress up as the Pope and someone said "Don't you know the Pope is a Catholic? What are you doing wearing that?" the easy responses are "Yes I do" and "Because I wanted to".

Not "OMFG YOU <insert whatever -ist you like> HOW DARE YOU TELL ME THE POPE IS A CATHOLIC!"

Maybe it's just me...I'd find more important things to worry about.
Perhaps because the colour of your skin does not make it obvious just by looking at you whether you're a catholic or not?

A black child was ridiculed by his teacher for dressing up as Santa, FOR NO OTHER REASON than because of the colour of his skin.

That, never mind the thickness of said skin, is utterly unacceptable. Teachers may not make fun of their pupils based on skin colour. No grey areas, no vacillation, it's just absolutely, unequivocally, unacceptable.

I'm not quite sure how you can consider that there's any room for doubt?
Old Dec 19th 2013, 6:53 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Perhaps because the colour of your skin does not make it obvious just by looking at you whether you're a catholic or not?
Eh? How many Catholics have red hands?
Old Dec 19th 2013, 6:59 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Eh? How many Catholics have red hands?
only those that have been caught in flagrante with the altarboys...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.