Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

has the time come for a black santa ?

has the time come for a black santa ?

Old Dec 18th 2013, 5:08 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: has the time come for a black santa ?

Originally Posted by montreal mike
I grew up in Middlesex (headstone lane) from 1943-1951. My gran came over from Germany after the war. She just had the clothes on her back. As a young child i sometimes was called a 'filthy Nazi' even though my mum was English.

The anti-German sentiment was understandable even though most Germans were war victims also
I know.

I came from an Irish mum with an English Dad. They worked in the posh hotels . Chef, silver service that sort of thing. So their friends were from all sorts of nationalities. It was probably also a bit of a haven away from those that had no time for the Irish. Among their good friends were some Germans ( one a Prussian) and they were all lifelong pals .

I was routinely spat on & kicked by other kids for my Mother being Irish and their friends German, Italian, Portuguese. Different. English folk mixing with the likes of us ? Pah ! Yet my Dad and us kids were English.

One of my parents German friends ( the Prussian ) once told me that you do not know you have nothing until you eat dirt for worms. It was in response to an observation I had made about how poor we were ahad been as a family. I never ,ever forgot what he said nor the way he said it. A leveller .
Old Dec 18th 2013, 8:20 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Of all the many parents of primary school children I know in the UK (and there are several across the country, from inner London to rural Scotland) EVERY SINGLE ONE has some sort of overtly Christmassy celebration in their school. It may not be a nativity play - it may be a carol concert, or a musical, or some other celebration. But I have never, ever, seen any evidence of the Daily Mail-esque bleating that Christmas celebrations have somehow been banned because because they are offensive to non-Christians. It simply doesn't happen, either before or since my move to Canada. Not ever. Anywhere.
TBF to Bemsee, she did say "nativity play" not "Christmassy celebration". There is a difference. Even as a non-believer, I would prefer that the nativity play be re-enacted.

Last edited by Shard; Dec 18th 2013 at 8:23 am.
Old Dec 18th 2013, 12:20 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
TBF to Bemsee, she did say "nativity play" not "Christmassy celebration". There is a difference. Even as a non-believer, I would prefer that the nativity play be re-enacted.
Still, it's not likely that any such ban exists, I'd say it's even less likely that there's a ban than that there was a nativity.
Old Dec 18th 2013, 12:26 pm
Forum Regular

koalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond repute

Let's go back to the original question for a sec.

Instead of being a black child (and therefore according to that idiotic teacher not allowed to dress up as Santa) imagine for a moment that a boy in a wheelchair dressed up as Santa.

Would the teacher say he couldn't be Santa because Santa isn't disabled in a wheelchair, but can walk around?

I find it so difficult to understand how anyone can accept that teacher's behaviour, and claim it's like walking on eggshells. All it is is showing basic respect and not be racist - all teachers should do that. Yes, kids can drive you crazy, but there were no reports of the boy in the article behaving badly; the poor kid just wanted to dress up as Santa for goodness sake.
Old Dec 18th 2013, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

there is a likelihood that santa and the nativity fall into the same category
Old Dec 18th 2013, 12:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by koalabear1
Let's go back to the original question for a sec.

Instead of being a black child (and therefore according to that idiotic teacher not allowed to dress up as Santa) imagine for a moment that a boy in a wheelchair dressed up as Santa.

Would the teacher say he couldn't be Santa because Santa isn't disabled in a wheelchair, but can walk around?

I find it so difficult to understand how anyone can accept that teacher's behaviour, and claim it's like walking on eggshells. All it is is showing basic respect and not be racist - all teachers should do that. Yes, kids can drive you crazy, but there were no reports of the boy in the article behaving badly; the poor kid just wanted to dress up as Santa for goodness sake.
has anyone here figured the comment by the teacher was made tongue in cheek

after all there are no eye witnesses from posters here

poor taste yes

racist no

it is the sort of thing i myself could very well have said, given my sarcastic nature and desire to be humorous
Old Dec 18th 2013, 12:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

this thread reminds me of the mumbo jumbo thread

i found that one hilarious

not racist

why are so many preoccupied by skin colour, race, matters racial, and racism?
Old Dec 18th 2013, 12:54 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

not racist

Perhaps you are confusing discrimination and racism. Unfortunately, in this case the teacher is guilty of both.

People are preoccupied by such matters because those at the receiving end are, through no fault of their own, subject to unequal treatment. In the West, we have decided during your lifetime, that we are no longer going to dwell on these artificial distinctions. It is as simple as that. I don't have a problem with the terminology (calling black kid black for example) but I have a problem when there is an issue of inequality.
Old Dec 18th 2013, 1:00 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Well....That is how I read it too, and as you put it "there is a difference".

AMEN to the nativity play...it's happening at my son's school today
Old Dec 18th 2013, 1:08 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

has anyone here figured the comment by the teacher was made tongue in cheek

after all there are no eye witnesses from posters here

poor taste yes

racist no
it is the sort of thing i myself could very well have said, given my sarcastic nature and desire to be humorous
Anything to do with colour is never funny, same goes for the Holocaust, slavery and ethnic cleansing

I'll say both poor taste and racist.....

Racist people always feel the need to bring "colour" into the mix. Am sure you ahve seen this before over the years where someone usually Caucasian has beef with someone of colour, and instead of just saying...you fool/idiot/etc, they throw colour into by saying you Black/ Asian/Oriental so so and so

Why the need to add the colour, would they have added colour if the person was White?

Oh....then there is the old classic, "I can't be racist because some of my friends are Black/Asian/ etc"

Am sure that won't have been the case if the person in the wheel chair was White. The teacher only problem here is the COLOUR (it will seem)?
Old Dec 18th 2013, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

koalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond repute

not racist

How can it be hilarious or even vaguely funny that a teacher stopped a child from dressing up as Santa purely because he was a black child and not white?

I am disgusted and horrified by the teacher's behaviour; I would be equally shocked if a black teacher did it to a white child: Santa is a non-existent entity who is supposed to be jolly and bring presents to children across the world. Who cares what colour his skin is supposed to be? Or if he is disabled, or gay or whatever.

I'm not preoccupied by skin colour, race etc etc but I feel strongly against discrimination. Be it against skin colour, gender, disability etc

Anyone laughing at discrimination against a school child is pretty disappointing to see.
Old Dec 18th 2013, 1:36 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ultrarunner
Anything to do with colour is never funny, same goes for the Holocaust, slavery and ethnic cleansing
How then do you account for the career of Chris Rock?

Or, for CanCon, Shaun Majunder; his whole act depends on being the Newfie-Paki?
Old Dec 18th 2013, 1:55 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Ignoring that it's a fictional character, Santa is certainly white. In much the same way that Tintin is white.
Old Dec 18th 2013, 2:07 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by orly
Ignoring that it's a fictional character, Santa is certainly white. In much the same way that Tintin is white.
But that's not the point. The fact that the teacher chose to remark on the kid's suitability based on the kid's skin colour is the point.
Old Dec 18th 2013, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by orly
Are you saying that because a lot (possibly most) people picture Santa as white, it is acceptable for a teacher to stop a black child from dressing up as Santa purely because he is black? <--- please note I have asked, not put words in your mouth

Saying Santa is certainly white comes across to me as a very "black and white" way of thinking (excuse the dreadful pun, but I couldn't think of a good alternative LOL)

Hey, I am white myself, and indeed do picture Santa as an old white male, but it's fine by me if people who don't match those criteria want to dress up as him. Especially when they are children!!! But even when they're not.

SANTA IS FICTIONAL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.