Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Has Canada's pandemic response made you consider moving back to UK/Europe?

View Poll Results: Has Canada's pandemic response made you consider moving back to the UK or Europe
Yes
24.14%
No
62.07%
Maybe/Undecided
13.79%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Has Canada's pandemic response made you consider moving back to UK/Europe?

Old Jun 12th 2021, 5:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has Canada's pandemic response made you consider moving back to UK/Europe?

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Not really a 'grand reopening', more just a 'full reopening', it wouldn't make much difference to most in the UK IMO. At the moment, my kids can go to school, my business can run, we can go to the cinema, to a restaurant or pub, we can see friends, etc. I don't like shopping or having beauty treatments but if I did I could do those too. It won't make much difference to most people I know whether we stick with the current limited restrictions or open up fully, as long as we don't go backwards………….
Yeah it sounds like there is still more open in the UK vs. Ontario. Ontario is still largely closed. The only thing they opened are restaurant (patios only) and retail stores, which are only at 15% capacity so causing mass lineups, ironically with minimal distancing, so essentially they are saying go crazy crowding to wait to get in the store wait 40 mins to run a 5 min errand, but once your inside the store gotta keep that 15% capacity, no matter that the other 85% are crowded waiting outside the store.

Now, who would wait 40 mins in line to go shopping I don't understand it, like you I hate shopping so that makes no difference to me.

Tl;dr Ontario basically reopened restaurant patios and that's it. Everything else is still locked down or so heavily restricted it makes it pointless.
Old Jun 12th 2021, 7:27 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has Canada's pandemic response made you consider moving back to UK/Europe?

Throughout this whole pandemic, I am happy I do not live in Ontario or Quebec, BC had much more sane level headed restrictions, can only imagine what the anti-lockdown types in BC would have done if they lived in Ontario...

Some of the things we can now do again as of May 25:

Up to 10 people can gather outdoors, up to 10 people can gather at a park or beach, up to 10 people can gather in the backyard of a residence.Up to 5 visitors or 1 other household can visit a personal residence. For example:
  • Up to 5 people from different households can attend a dinner party at a household of 4 people
  • One household of 7 people can attend a birthday at another household of 4 people
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/c...o/restrictions

On June 15 it looks very likely that will we enter stage 2 of reopening which will allow
  • Outdoor personal gatherings up to 50 people (birthday parties, backyard BBQs, block parties)
  • Indoor seated organized gatherings up to 50 people with a COVID-19 Safety Plan (movie theatres are planning to reopen with limited capacity and have started selling tickets)
  • Provincial travel restrictions lifted
  • Recreational travel within B.C. allowed
  • BC Transit and BC Ferries offers increased service as needed
  • Liquor served until midnight
  • Banquet halls can operate with limited capacity and a COVID-19 Safety Plan
  • Continued return to the workplace
  • Small, in-person meetings allowed
  • Indoor high intensity group exercise allowed with reduced capacity
  • Indoor games and practices for both adults and youth group/team sports allowed
  • No spectators at any indoor sport activities
  • Outdoor spectators up to 50 allowed

If things continue trending in the right direct, everything will be back to normal by September 7 hopefully.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/c...start#step-two

Old Jun 12th 2021, 8:54 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
Agreed, Canada has way more people however I think donating vaccines at this stage is premature.

Personally, I don't care. I want to see everyone in Canada offered a first/second dose before we start thinking about helping others. Don't get me wrong, we should definitely be assisting other countries in ending the pandemic if we want it to be over for us too, but let's take care of our own taxpaying Canadian citizens and residents before giving away freebies on the taxpayer dime just so Trudeau can get some pats on the back from his buddies at G7.
You don't care about the suffering?
​​​​​ Donating vaccine is right morally and politically, I'm surprised you can't see that.
You do sound like a grumpy, old Tory not a young idealistic man. Maybe the young aren't idealists any more.

Yeah it sounds like there is still more open in the UK vs. Ontario. Ontario is still largely closed. The only thing they opened are restaurant (patios only) and retail stores, which are only at 15% capacity so causing mass lineups, ironically with minimal distancing, so essentially they are saying go crazy crowding to wait to get in the store wait 40 mins to run a 5 min errand, but once your inside the store gotta keep that 15% capacity, no matter that the other 85% are crowded waiting outside the store.

Now, who would wait 40 mins in line to go shopping I don't understand it, like you I hate shopping so that makes no difference to me.

Tl;dr Ontario basically reopened restaurant patios and that's it. Everything else is still locked down or so heavily restricted it makes it pointless.
This morning I had a lovely stroll around the downtown stores, bought some gifts, the sat by the river eating an ice cream. Plenty of tourists to spend their $$. The line ups were outside the beer store and the LCBO. 2m distancing in the queues as there always is. I've never seen the crowds you've referred to. This evening we are going to a restaurant with friends to eat on the patio. We've never been as badly off in this pandemic as the UK has been, their restriction were very fierce. Only allowed outside for essentials and one hours exercise a day! Restrictions on where they can travel too, oh and your dread -quarantine. My mother saw no one for almost a year, others in my family had COVID, I'm stuck here waiting till I can visit them safely. We know this isn't unusual, it's frustrating but it will be over soon

​​​​​​Now I like a good moan as much as the next person probably more, but really, think on.
Old Jun 13th 2021, 2:34 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

The full information on what Trudeau announced as the $100 million value donation for vaccines .............

It is made up partly of money and partly of vaccines

The amount also includes a donation announced months ago, so is less than $100 million "new" donation.

Some of the vaccine donated will come through that joint world supply of vaccines, that Canada donated to and then asked for (and got) about 100,000 doses.
Old Jun 13th 2021, 2:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
You don't care about the suffering?
​​​​​ Donating vaccine is right morally and politically, I'm surprised you can't see that.
You do sound like a grumpy, old Tory not a young idealistic man. Maybe the young aren't idealists any more.
I do care, but I care about the Canadian government taking care of Canadians first before assisting those countries. I want to see everyone in Canada taken care of first before our government helps others on our dime. Like putting on your own oxygen mask before helping others on the plane.

Yes I typically lean centrist/slightly towards right politically. That does not line up with most people my age who are extreme left. Oh well, fine with me.

This morning I had a lovely stroll around the downtown stores, bought some gifts, the sat by the river eating an ice cream. Plenty of tourists to spend their $$. The line ups were outside the beer store and the LCBO. 2m distancing in the queues as there always is. I've never seen the crowds you've referred to. This evening we are going to a restaurant with friends to eat on the patio. We've never been as badly off in this pandemic as the UK has been, their restriction were very fierce. Only allowed outside for essentials and one hours exercise a day! Restrictions on where they can travel too, oh and your dread -quarantine. My mother saw no one for almost a year, others in my family had COVID, I'm stuck here waiting till I can visit them safely. We know this isn't unusual, it's frustrating but it will be over soon

​​​​​​Now I like a good moan as much as the next person probably more, but really, think on.
Glad to hear you are enjoying the things that are open. I'm going off anecdotes since I am not physically in Ontario right now.

Isn't unusual? This pandemic and the various reactions to it are the definition of unusual.

It seems the UK were worse off then Canada in some areas and better off in others. Worse lockdown/worse imposition on civil rights (UK probably doesn't have a Charter like we do - without the Charter i'm sure Doug Ford would have loved to institute harder lockdowns.), better vaccine rollout and earlier reopening and earlier ease of travel restrictions (pretty sure the UK has green/amber/red and test to release early from quarantine.)

I did make the remark earlier in the pandemic that restriction wise Ontario/Canada was not a bad place to be given the limits the Charter of Rights and Freedoms place on the government's ability to lock us down. Now in reopening we are lagging behind.
Old Jun 13th 2021, 4:22 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I typically lean centrist/slightly towards right politically.
Have you heard of Enoch Powell? Your posts put you as much in the centre as he was.
Old Jun 13th 2021, 5:19 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

I do care, but I care about the Canadian government taking care of Canadians first before assisting those countries. I want to see everyone in Canada taken care of first before our government helps others on our dime. Like putting on your own oxygen mask before helping others on the plane.

Yes I typically lean centrist/slightly towards right politically. That does not line up with most people my age who are extreme left. Oh well, fine with me.

Glad to hear you are enjoying the things that are open. I'm going off anecdotes since I am not physically in Ontario right now.

Isn't unusual? This pandemic and the various reactions to it are the definition of unusual.

It seems the UK were worse off then Canada in some areas and better off in others. Worse lockdown/worse imposition on civil rights (UK probably doesn't have a Charter like we do - without the Charter i'm sure Doug Ford would have loved to institute harder lockdowns.), better vaccine rollout and earlier reopening and earlier ease of travel restrictions (pretty sure the UK has green/amber/red and test to release early from quarantine.)

I did make the remark earlier in the pandemic that restriction wise Ontario/Canada was not a bad place to be given the limits the Charter of Rights and Freedoms place on the government's ability to lock us down. Now in reopening we are lagging behind.
Unusual as in many people are in a similar situation due to COVID.
the UK is lifting restrictions from the 2nd wave, they've been in lock down that long and it isn't going to be fully lifted after all with increasing numbers. Yep, ypthey have a red,bamber, green sytem but it changes so raoidly people can and do get caught out and need to quarantine on return, that's in a hotel for reenlist countries. Btw Malta is on the UK amber list so UK citizens are advised not to travel there.

The UK doesn't have its constitution in one document , it comprises a number of documents from history starting with the Magna Carta in 1215. The supreme court really has final say. Pretty much the same as the Charter n Canada but it is more encompasing and doesn't have a notwithstanding clause that can overrule The Supreme Court.

I'd say you were far from the centre and way over to the right. Your analogy of o2 masks is flimsy as in that case you need oxygen to help another. There is enough vaccine to go round and offering it to others won't affect distribution at all.
Old Jun 24th 2021, 11:17 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

I voted no. I've been on the fence about whether to stay or go for the last 10 years so it's just another year of what should we do. Hubbies health issues might be the ultimate decider I the end.