Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Has Brexit made you feel it's less likely you'd move back to the UK?

Has Brexit made you feel it's less likely you'd move back to the UK?

Old Nov 17th 2016, 4:52 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has Brexit made you feel it's less likely you'd move back to the UK?

Originally Posted by dave_j
I think you make my point for me rather well.
I don't think so. Unless I'm mistaken your point appeared to be that asking why they felt a particular way might be useful. Mine was that it wouldn't.

All those people who 'celebrated' the vote they were in favour of who were out increasing all those hate crimes as a result...not a lot of sense was there.
Old Nov 17th 2016, 5:07 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has Brexit made you feel it's less likely you'd move back to the UK?

Originally Posted by JamesM
I

The feral underbelly in Britain that voted Brexit doesn't surprise me.

That's rather a pejorative term, I think you mean the glorious and honorable proletariat?
Old Nov 17th 2016, 6:08 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

It's symptomatic that when things don't go the way we would like them to then there's a tendency to blame rather than understand. People who voted Brexit aren't 'feral' they simply have a different point of view. If the demographics demonstrate that Brexit supporters come from a particular strata of society then it makes sense to ask the question why they feel the way they do rather than shake heads and categorise them as 'untermenschen'.
It's not a different point of view though is it- they are simply incorrect or ignorant. They voted Brexit to "speak their minds" and I don't have a problem speaking mine.

It's a total inability on their part to make the effort to go out and learn what the EU is. What it's real purpose is and what the long run benefits are.

I'm yet to have an argument from a Brexit voter presented to me that actually holds anything that is factually correct when examined fully.

The intellectual case for Brexit is non-existent.

People who voted for Brexit cling to notions that are dated and unsustainable.

1) A percentage of the population are hurting because of the lack of wage growth and therefore it was a protest vote against the establishment.

2) A percentage of the population don't want immigrants because they think it will put more money in the pot for them to claim with out working any harder. Half of these are full on racist. The rest mildly so and are simply lazy.

3) A percentage of the population think that the EU make all our laws and our government has no sovereign power. Yet now they are upset that the government may well have a final vote on what type of Brexit it is.

To your point I'm all about understanding which of the 3 categories they fall into. Then I can explain to them where they are incorrect. What they have done to ruin their lives further and move on. The "Hug A Hoody" thing will not drive any results unfortunately.

I don't want to go off tangent here. There are multiple threads around the forum.

Overall I think some people might be more likely to move back on the basis that Canada was not what they expected and the exchange rate is in their favour. We've also had numerous posters appear over the years who immigrated to Canada to get away from immigrants. They will be feeling they will have a Britain to go back to as somebody said up thread.

Last edited by JamesM; Nov 17th 2016 at 6:23 pm.
Old Nov 17th 2016, 6:14 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
That's rather a pejorative term, I think you mean the glorious and honorable proletariat?
It's a term that I became accustomed too during the riots of 2011.

Hope lies in the proles.

Last edited by JamesM; Nov 17th 2016 at 6:26 pm.
Old Nov 17th 2016, 6:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Overall I think some people might be more likely to move back on the basis that Canada was not what they expected and the exchange rate is in their favour. We've also had numerous posters appear over the years who immigrated to Canada to get away from immigrants. They will be feeling they will have a Britain to go back to as somebody said up thread.
I think wages are lower on the UK side of the pond, even more so with the pound falling.
Old Nov 17th 2016, 6:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

It's not a different point of view though is it- they are simply incorrect or ignorant. They voted Brexit to "speak their minds" and I don't have a problem speaking mine.
About what?

It's a total inability on their part to make the effort to go out and learn what the EU is.
I'd suggest that that is an assumption. Is there any evidence to suggest that those that voted to remain made a greater effort to go out and learn what the EU is, than those that voted to leave?

What it's real purpose is and what the long run benefits are.
It has been in existence for some time now and I would suggest that those two items have changed significantly over time. For example, I trust you will accept that those two items will be different for those that are in the euro zone, to those that are not.

I doubt that it would be possible to sensibly argue that, whatever purpose and long run benefits you allege it has, they could be achieved, and likely have been achieved, by other groups of countries in ways that did not require an EU.

I'm yet to have an argument from a Brexit voter presented to me that actually holds anything that is factually correct when examined fully.
Here is one: Post Brexit, the UK will have absolute control over the selection process it wishes to implement for economic migrants to be entitled to lawfully come to the UK. I look forward to hearing your explanation as to how that is factually incorrect

The intellectual case for Brexit is non-existent.

People who voted for Brexit cling to notions that are dated and unsustainable.

1) A percentage of the population are hurting because of the lack of wage growth and therefore it was a protest vote against the establishment.

2) A percentage of the population don't want immigrants because they think it will put more money in the pot for them to claim with out working any harder. Half of these are full on racist. The rest mildly so and are simply lazy.

3) A percentage of the population think that the EU make all our laws and our government has no sovereign power. Yet now they are upset that the government may well have a final vote on what type of Brexit it is.
Again, that is nothing more than speculation on your part.

To your point I'm all about understanding which of the 3 categories they fall into. Then I can explain to them where they are incorrect. What they have done to ruin their lives further and move on. The "Hug A Hoody" thing will not drive any results unfortunately.

I don't want to go off tangent here. There are multiple threads around the forum.

Old Nov 17th 2016, 7:58 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Well I'm just back from a week in England. Plenty of negative Nellies there, much them and us snobbery over how people voted in the referendum.
I'm glad to be back home but not pleased to read about Kellie whatever her name is supporting Trump and wanting to be Conservative party leader.
The world is going to hell in a bigoted handbasket.
Old Nov 18th 2016, 4:34 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Well I'm just back from a week in England. Plenty of negative Nellies there, much them and us snobbery over how people voted in the referendum.
I'm glad to be back home but not pleased to read about Kellie whatever her name is supporting Trump and wanting to be Conservative party leader.
The world is going to hell in a bigoted handbasket.
Plenty to be negative about, TBH.
Old Nov 18th 2016, 5:11 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Plenty to be negative about, TBH.
I really don't understand this.

Whether you live in the UK or Canada, there isn't anyone dropping bombs on you, your country isn't involved in a civil war, nobody is invading your country, there are goods to be had in the supermarket, we don't live in tents because an earthquake or hurricane has destroyed your house, unemployment is low, the rule of law still operates, the sun still rises in the east.. etc etc.

So Trump has been elected, but he's only one man and times have changed since Hitler was elected in the 1930's and congress and the media exists to trim his sails.

So Brexit is on the horizon but nobody really knows how this will affect borders, britons or the world economy.

I get the impression that there are those amongst us whose glass is forever half empty and no amount of beer will fill it up.

Personally, my wine glass is quite full and is likely to remain so.
Old Nov 18th 2016, 5:27 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Now what's the name of that Peter Sellers movie.....
Old Nov 18th 2016, 5:48 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Now what's the name of that Peter Sellers movie.....
I'm all right Jack?
Old Nov 18th 2016, 5:50 pm
Oscar nominated

I'm all right Jack?
Old Nov 18th 2016, 6:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Whitby, Bitby. The place to do that is Craster. A walk up to the Dunstanburgh Castle and then back for crab sandwiches at the pub and then pick up the kippers from across the road.

Sheesh. You've been away too long.
I think I will do that next weekend. This week early morning walk by the Wansbeck with all the Swans,

But moving back anyone will need to be prepared for the same question asked every day by someone " Did you move back because of Trump."
Old Nov 18th 2016, 6:04 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

I get the impression that there are those amongst us whose glass is forever half empty and no amount of beer will fill it up.

My glass is generally quite full too, but from time to time some morons knock it over.
Old Nov 18th 2016, 6:25 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

My glass is mostly empty but it's always been mostly empty, and likely will never even be half full...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.