Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Has anyone noticed how

Wikiposts

Has anyone noticed how

Old Nov 18th 2015, 4:51 am
Account Closed

vanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond repute
Default Has anyone noticed how

Canadians will often say yes, agree, say the right thing in your face, but have no problems with:

1. Not responding after that
2. Not following through
3. Not meaning what they said
4. Back to 2
5. Breaking promises is the norm, but being polite to your face is soo important

Just wondering if I am imagining it

Old Nov 18th 2015, 4:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has anyone noticed how

Have you been talking to a lot of political candidates lately
I can also think of a few Brits who fit your description and its not unique to just those 2 types of citizens.
Old Nov 18th 2015, 5:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vanity
Canadians will often say yes, agree, say the right thing in your face, but have no problems with:

2. Not following through
4. Back to 2
5. Breaking promises is the norm, but being polite to your face is soo important

I learned very quickly that Canadians don't like to say "No"

Whether they do follow up depends upon the individual.
Old Nov 18th 2015, 6:11 am
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

It certainly takes some getting used to
Old Nov 18th 2015, 7:50 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

2. Not following through
4. Back to 2

No but my old employer is the UK sounds just like this when speaking to them about getting an employment reference for my PR application
Old Nov 18th 2015, 9:29 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
No but my old employer is the UK sounds just like this when speaking to them about getting an employment reference for my PR application
Did you make a clean break with them or leave the door open in case you returned? I seem to recall someone on BE in the latter situation, but can't recall who.
Old Nov 18th 2015, 10:49 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Did you make a clean break with them or leave the door open in case you returned? I seem to recall someone on BE in the latter situation, but can't recall who.
I left on good terms. if they decide they to don't want to they just have to send an official letter to me to say they won't do it and at least CIC can see I tried.

It's not rocket science, I drafted the letter so they just need to make changes if they need to sign it and send it back. My employer out here managed it!!
Old Nov 18th 2015, 11:09 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

I left on good terms. if they decide they to don't want to they just have to send an official letter to me to say they won't do it and at least CIC can see I tried.

It's not rocket science, I drafted the letter so they just need to make changes if they need to sign it and send it back. My employer out here managed it!!
Yes, that's odd. Maybe it's just stuck in someone's in-tray.
Old Nov 18th 2015, 11:20 am
Bex in the city

Originally Posted by Shard
Yes, that's odd. Maybe it's just stuck in someone's in-tray.
I'm on the case

I'm bombarding my friend and the office admin with emails to get the employer to do this.
Old Nov 18th 2015, 12:27 pm
Account Closed

vanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond repute

Fair enough, FL and Almost Canadian

I guess you're right but on the whole I've seen it as so much more prevalent. When I say something I follow through, oh well, another thing to add to the grr list
Old Nov 18th 2015, 12:27 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Howefamily
It certainly takes some getting used to
You see them too?!

Old Nov 18th 2015, 12:28 pm
Account Closed

I'm on the case

I'm bombarding my friend and the office admin with emails to get the employer to do this.
What an annoying situation, I don't understand people like that - especially when you actually worked with them and were on good terms. Good luck with it all though!
Old Nov 18th 2015, 12:38 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

I'm on the case

Get your friend to write you a letter saying you worked there on a company letter head sheet of paper.

Telus HR wouldn't supply me with a letter so I just got someone who worked there to do it.
Old Nov 18th 2015, 12:53 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

2. Not following through
4. Back to 2

No you are not imagining it.

Your grasping of Canada, after such a short time, is quite phenomenal.

Usually people have a honeymoon period of denial.
Old Nov 18th 2015, 1:12 pm
Bex in the city

Originally Posted by JamesM
Get your friend to write you a letter saying you worked there on a company letter head sheet of paper.

Telus HR wouldn't supply me with a letter so I just got someone who worked there to do it.
Good point! Cheers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.