Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Has anyone imported a US car to Canada?

Has anyone imported a US car to Canada?

Old Mar 30th 2009, 10:13 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has anyone imported a US car to Canada?

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Do you have insurance with an US insurance company? Ours have refused to insure the car if it's not garaged in NJ now my daughter is no longer student. I find it odd that they insured it whilst she was student in TO...but refuse to now.
The car with the MN plates belongs to my daughter's "boyfriend", he's a PhD candidate in Toronto but is usually gone doing field work leaving her the car, I assume it's insured with a US company with him listed as a student in Canada.
Old Mar 30th 2009, 10:15 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
From what I understand you have to tell the US side that you are exporting a vehicle and the Canadian side that you are importing a vehicle.
Yes, I know what you tell them and that you need an appointment to tell them. My question is "why tell them?", what is gained by telling them?
Old Mar 30th 2009, 10:16 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Yes, I know what you tell them and that you need an appointment to tell them. My question is "why tell them?", what is gained by telling them?
Legitimacy. A foreign concept to both of us.
Old Mar 30th 2009, 10:18 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Legitimacy. A foreign concept to both of us.
Hassle. I suppose if you later want to sell the car in the US, a better plan I think than trying to sell it Canada, you then have to import it into the US.
Old Mar 30th 2009, 10:18 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

The car with the MN plates belongs to my daughter's "boyfriend", he's a PhD candidate in Toronto but is usually gone doing field work leaving her the car, I assume it's insured with a US company with him listed as a student in Canada.
Ah that's the same as when my daughter was a student there.
Old Mar 30th 2009, 10:20 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

So it's all above board and legal if and when you decide to sell said car - for instance we bought a car from Florida, hubby didn't like it so he sold it - to New Jersey, had we not done the right paperwork at the right time all hell would have probably broken loose.

Saying that the paperwork is one side of A4 sized paperwork to complete - a couple of tick boxes. Your with the US customs for about five minutes while they check it over and your on your way - why would you not do it?
Old Mar 30th 2009, 10:23 am
Assimilated Pauper

Ah that's the same as when my daughter was a student there.
And the same as the LC and the Honda were. And the insurer assumes the LC still is.
Old Mar 30th 2009, 10:24 am
Assimilated Pauper

why would you not do it?
Because it requires an appointment and it's not at all clear to me that there's any potential for hell breaking loose.
Old Mar 30th 2009, 10:28 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Because it requires an appointment and it's not at all clear to me that there's any potential for hell breaking loose.
If you don't get clearance from US customs the car won't be accepted by Canadian customs. There is no way around it I'm afraid.
Old Mar 30th 2009, 10:35 am
Assimilated Pauper

If you don't get clearance from US customs the car won't be accepted by Canadian customs. There is no way around it I'm afraid.
Not so. We never exported the Honda from the US. Canada Customs didn't care. I asked them about that specifically as it would have meant taking the car to the US in order to export it.

Last edited by dbd33; Mar 30th 2009 at 10:38 am.
Old Mar 30th 2009, 10:42 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

No appointment needed, you just turn up on the day you want to bring the car accross - they just need the paperwork 72 hours in advance so they can check the details. We have brought a car accross in the early afternoon, once in the early evening and once we refused to take delivery of a heap so we just popped back into the US Customs area to let them know we were not going ahead with the export. It really is no hassle at all. And selling a US car that is registered in Canada but hadn't been exported would surely cause problems to the new US owner trying to import the car back into the US??????

Why not keep everything above board and do what your supposed to do???
Old Mar 30th 2009, 10:49 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Not so. We never exported the Honda from the US. Canada Customs didn't care. I asked them about that specifically as it would have meant taking the car to the US in order to export it.
Sorry I'm not with you. If you didn't export it from the US into Canada there would be no need for US customs to approve it...have I got that right?
Old Mar 30th 2009, 10:52 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry I'm not with you. If you didn't export it from the US into Canada there would be no need for US customs to approve it...have I got that right?
If you need a detailed blueprint, research on "Milo Minderbender".
Old Mar 30th 2009, 10:54 am
Assimilated Pauper

No appointment needed, you just turn up on the day you want to bring the car accross - they just need the paperwork 72 hours in advance so they can check the details.
Supplying paperwork a fixed period in advance of arrival is a similar trouble to having an appointment. For what I want to send them forms, drive three hours to the border, hand in the forms and drive back again? The Canadian authorities aren't interested in the status of the car in the US.

And selling a US car that is registered in Canada but hadn't been exported would surely cause problems to the new US owner trying to import the car back into the US??????
If it's never been exported there's no need to import it. You're just layering on bureaucracy.

Why not keep everything above board and do what your supposed to do???
I guess I'm insufficiently Canadian, my dog even has expired tags.
Old Mar 30th 2009, 10:56 am
Assimilated Pauper

Correct. The Honda, like your daughter's car, was in Toronto. Canada Customs is in Brampton. America is not conveniently placed between Toronto and Brampton so we didn't go and export the car from the US, we just took it to Brampton and explained that it came as a tourist and decided to stay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.