Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Has anyone bought a puppy in US and brought it back to Canada?

Has anyone bought a puppy in US and brought it back to Canada?

Old Sep 3rd 2009, 3:59 pm
Curiously Wise

Jingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Has anyone bought a puppy in US and brought it back to Canada?

Hi - we are thinking of buying a puppy and have found a great breeder in Montana. We would go and fetch it and bring it back but has anyone else done this? Are there any particular problems (bureaucratic or other) we should be aware of?

Thx, J
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 4:11 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has anyone bought a puppy in US and brought it back to Canada?

A friend of mine breeds labs and regularly ships to/from the US, so it's perfectly possible. Perhaps you could give her a call and find out the process?
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 4:22 pm
Curiously Wise

Jingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Rich will do. I know the official Canada Customs regulations but it would be reassuring to hear a more practical view .... thanks again, J
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 4:45 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingle
Thanks Rich will do. I know the official Canada Customs regulations but it would be reassuring to hear a more practical view .... thanks again, J
You're welcome - she's called Linda Cline. Tell her Rich from Fieldstone recommended her.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

Louisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond repute

Yes several times Had some easy border crossings and some absolute nightmares worst one being when I arrived at the border at 3.00 am, after a 10 hour drive, and after a LONG interregation and internet search,they didn't believe what I had paid for the pup, despite the fact that I had a receipt from the breeder. They said they would have to call the breeder later in the morning and sent me back round to the US side. Then THEY wouldn't let me in as they thought I had got the pup from Canada! They did let me in after I burst into tears and I had to go and try and get some sleep in a garage forecourt down the road. Eventually I went back to the Canadian border and had a further long interregation while they phoned the breeder for confirmation and finally they were happy and I paid my duty on it and drove another 6 hours home. It was a long and tiring night, but he turned out to be one of the best dogs we own so was worth it
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 8:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

Some years ago I bought a Blue Merle Rough Collie from the States. The puppy was shipped from Virginia and got here on a Friday. When I went to pick her up, apparently the papers that had been in a plastic pocket on the crate had been removed in Toronto, so they told me I couldn't have the puppy until the papers got there - maybe Monday.

I said "Are you crazy? You can't leave a puppy locked in a travelling crate for three days!" Or words to that effect. So they gave me the puppy.

I know many people who have brought dogs from the US and from Europe and have never had a problem. I don't know any who have driven back with the dog, but if flying in is no problem, then I assume driving in is no problem either.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

Louisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond repute

Out of interest, what breed is it and can't you find one in Canada?
Old Sep 4th 2009, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

blodeuwedd79 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Louisecooke
Yes several times Had some easy border crossings and some absolute nightmares worst one being when I arrived at the border at 3.00 am, after a 10 hour drive, and after a LONG interregation and internet search,they didn't believe what I had paid for the pup, despite the fact that I had a receipt from the breeder. They said they would have to call the breeder later in the morning and sent me back round to the US side. Then THEY wouldn't let me in as they thought I had got the pup from Canada! They did let me in after I burst into tears and I had to go and try and get some sleep in a garage forecourt down the road. Eventually I went back to the Canadian border and had a further long interregation while they phoned the breeder for confirmation and finally they were happy and I paid my duty on it and drove another 6 hours home. It was a long and tiring night, but he turned out to be one of the best dogs we own so was worth it
Hi,

My husband and I are hoping to emigrate to Nova Scotia next year. We have a pug and they are not allowed to fly so we will be sailing to New York and then driving up. Can you tell me why the border people were so strict with you? Was it just for tax purposes or are they usually quite harsh on people crossing the border with animals? Sorry to jump into the thread but this is really worrying me, as there is no way I can leave my dog behind, we rescued her three years ago now and it never crossed my mind that it would be so hard to get her to Canada! Thanks.

Jo
Old Sep 4th 2009, 11:06 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blodeuwedd79
Hi,

My husband and I are hoping to emigrate to Nova Scotia next year. We have a pug and they are not allowed to fly so we will be sailing to New York and then driving up. Can you tell me why the border people were so strict with you? Was it just for tax purposes or are they usually quite harsh on people crossing the border with animals? Sorry to jump into the thread but this is really worrying me, as there is no way I can leave my dog behind, we rescued her three years ago now and it never crossed my mind that it would be so hard to get her to Canada! Thanks.

Jo
Puppy theft can be an issue in North America, and I suspect the officers were more interested in it then they would an adult dog. Or the officer was just being an ass.

I bring my dog across the border all the time, as do many tourists.
Old Sep 4th 2009, 11:15 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Puppy theft can be an issue in North America, and I suspect the officers were more interested in it then they would an adult dog. Or the officer was just being an ass.

I bring my dog across the border all the time, as do many tourists.
Thanks, that's really good to know!
Old Sep 4th 2009, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

Yes it was just because it was a puppy and it was the middle of the night. You should be fine with an older dog, we have regularly gone through with about 20 dogs at a time and had no problems. We always carry documentation/photos that show that we have owned them all for quite a while.
Old Sep 4th 2009, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

Yes it was just because it was a puppy and it was the middle of the night. You should be fine with an older dog, we have regularly gone through with about 20 dogs at a time and had no problems. We always carry documentation/photos that show that we have owned them all for quite a while.
Wow, that's a lot of dogs! My husband won't let me have more than two. Sorry if I'm being nosy but where do you drive to and from, not really sure of the best way to get to Nova Scotia from New York.

Jo
Old Sep 4th 2009, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

ah that's nothing, we have 34 of them altogether

We usually go down into Maine or New Hampshire for races. I would look at Mapquest to find a route (though it is rubbish sorry!) get onto the I95, then head north over the border and get onto the Trans Canada Highway straight to NS. It's only 2 roads so it's easy, it's the getting onto the I95 from NY that I don't know about! Good luck!
Old Sep 5th 2009, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

Just a thought, as I was thinking what a nightmare it would be having to drive through New York, and then I'm not sure that hire cars are allowed across borders?.................anyway seems a lot of stress and hassle. Have you thought about flying from NY to Halifax? I know Air Canada at least let you have small dogs in the cabin with you, and I don't think the pug nose would be an issue then? Worth looking into I'd say, would probably also be a lot cheaper!
Old Sep 5th 2009, 1:37 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

ah that's nothing, we have 34 of them altogether

We usually go down into Maine or New Hampshire for races. I would look at Mapquest to find a route (though it is rubbish sorry!) get onto the I95, then head north over the border and get onto the Trans Canada Highway straight to NS. It's only 2 roads so it's easy, it's the getting onto the I95 from NY that I don't know about! Good luck!

Don't have to even do that. You take 684 to 84 to the Mass Pike and then 495 and get on I-95 at Maine/New Hampshire border.

We normally use the border crossing (Calasis Sp?) and then take the ferry when we are going to visit our son in Halifax.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.