Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Happy International Women's Day

Happy International Women's Day

Old Mar 8th 2019, 1:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Happy International Women's Day

As the title suggests today is International Women's Day. Governments around the world are asking us to recognize the contribution women make towards society. I have absolutely no problem with this and support my fellow co-workers who are female and none have yet identified to me they are gender fluid or what other terms might be used. My current boss is a female and I have no problems with that.

Obviously I have received numerous email from within my Agency and articles on our internal intranet about what today is all about and celebrate this day. Invites have been sent out to attend events with certain keynote speakers and to register for these events. I was canvassed to see if I would like to attend any such events? I replied sure on one condition and that condition is I will attend your event provided you attend the International Men's Day. I asked what date does the Government celebrate the International Men's Day. They replied well actually the Federal Government doesn't

Funny I thought I once heard our Prime Minister saying we are all equal and must be inclusive of each other.
Old Mar 8th 2019, 4:04 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Happy International Women's Day

First of all I'm male so I'll declare that as an interest.
That being said I suspect that I detect a little sarcasm in your post and a tongue in cheek poking of fun at our wonderful PM.
But this is a serious issue. Any rational assessment of male vs female valuation within the state will conclude that females continue to be highly valued and equal right up to the point where such valuation impacts the male concept of superiority.
Who can doubt that male superiority continues to be a well proven fact of life, after all we males have started the best wars, killed the most people, occupy the most prison cells, take the most drugs etc etc.
Who can fail to be concerned that celebration of an International Men's Day could very likely morph into something between an insurrection and a countrywide riot?
Best to let men think that they're so much better than women that they don't need a Men's Day to prove it.
Old Mar 8th 2019, 6:09 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

I'm just glad I don't have to listen to the women complaining about the other women in the office for a day. Nice to be able to work without my headset on!
Old Mar 8th 2019, 6:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j
Best to let men think that they're so much better than women that they don't need a Men's Day to prove it.
It's November 19th.
Old Mar 8th 2019, 9:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid
It's November 19th.
Yes it is but it not officially recognized by the Canadian Federal Government and others. The Feds even have a Federal department solely for the Status Of Women

https://cfc-swc.gc.ca/commemoration/.../index-en.html

So here is a list of official dates that are celebrated under the Government of Canada Canadian Heritage. Check the days celebrated in November. Are you sure?

https://www.canada.ca/en/canadian-he...tive-days.html
Old Mar 8th 2019, 9:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Yes it is but it not officially recognized by the Canadian Federal Government and others. The Feds even have a Federal department solely for the Status Of Women

https://cfc-swc.gc.ca/commemoration/.../index-en.html

So here is a list of official dates that are celebrated under the Government of Canada Canadian Heritage. Check the days celebrated in November. Are you sure?

https://www.canada.ca/en/canadian-he...tive-days.html
Am I sure Nov 19th is International Mens Day? Yes; it's why the subtitle of International Women's Day is "It's November 19th". I actually thought everyone who felt a need to say that was joking until right now.
Old Mar 8th 2019, 9:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Am I sure Nov 19th is International Mens Day? Yes; it's why the subtitle of International Women's Day is "It's November 19th". I actually thought everyone who felt a need to say that was joking until right now.
You misunderstand the Federal Govt of Canada does not officially recognize it the same way it does with women. Is that OK in this day and age? It's the principle behind it and how everyone says we want equality etc etc.
Old Mar 8th 2019, 9:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

You misunderstand the Federal Govt of Canada does not officially recognize it the same way it does with women. Is that OK in this day and age? It's the principle behind it and how everyone says we want equality etc etc.
And hopefully one day we'll get equality. Until then, Straight Pride, White Lives Matter, and Mens Day can expect to be lower priorities than their counterparts.
Old Mar 8th 2019, 10:37 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

And hopefully one day we'll get equality. Until then, Straight Pride, White Lives Matter, and Mens Day can expect to be lower priorities than their counterparts.
Old Mar 8th 2019, 10:43 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

My current boss is a female and I have no problems with that.
Whoop, there it is.
Old Mar 9th 2019, 8:28 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you FL - it was a good day, marred only by the following slip on my part.
We boarded a tram to discover that there was only one seat available - I suggested that my Wife should take this seat. I now realise that this act was condescending, inappropriate and wholly unacceptable.
Old Mar 9th 2019, 8:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Whoop, there it is.
Wheres, what? Fact my boss is a female. I don't have a problem with that. I couldn't care less what gender my boss is as long as they know about the job and can answer questions I may have. Fact I have more awkward discussions with male co-workers than females as the vast majority of people I work with have A type personalities. If you tend to think I have a problem with women as in whoop there it is then you really have no idea of who I am and how our Agency and office works.

From the Canadian Heritage Government of Canada websitehttps://www.canada.ca/en/canadian-he...tive-days.html
Old Mar 9th 2019, 4:04 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Not official but Men’s ‘valentines day’ is March 14
Old Mar 11th 2019, 7:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Just thought I'd throw in that there is already an International women's day, its called Valentines day! or "Judgement day" as I have joked before! lol.... and as Beckiwoo says men get their's on March 14th....although not everybody knows about that one,
Old Mar 12th 2019, 5:20 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
Just thought I'd throw in that there is already an International women's day, its called Valentines day! or "Judgement day" as I have joked before! lol.... and as Beckiwoo says men get their's on March 14th....although not everybody knows about that one,
- nice to see someone with a sense of humour on this thread