The Hangover Thread

Old Jul 15th 2011, 7:47 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Hangover Thread

Originally Posted by geo4
That hangover *feeling* is basically dehydration.

You need an isotonic sports drink. Also drinking water with every pint will offset alot of pain the next day, although I recognise ytou are not able to go back in time. I quite like a pint of soda water with a slice of lime with each drink.

Like eating, that'll wreck your buzz.
Old Jul 15th 2011, 8:52 pm
Pictou County Superstarâ„¢

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

Bladder control. If you've got enough self-control, hold on to that final piss of the night and try to keep it in until morning.

Anti-inflammatory drugs. I've heard taking NSAIDs with water works really well too (problem being you have to remember to take them before passing out).

Drink yourself sober. (This one only works if you're self employed or own the company you work for.) Don't go to bed, just keep drinking all night and all the way through the next day at work. Maintain the rate of around 1-1.5 pints per hour and you will literally "drink yourself sober".

Originally Posted by JamesM
"What are the best hang over cures??? What are the worst???
Old Jul 15th 2011, 9:08 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ultrarunner
Geez....all this calories, hope you find time to work it off?
You sound like a right barrel of laughs on a night out.
Old Jul 15th 2011, 9:09 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Greenhill
Drink yourself sober.
I was always sceptical of the dog hair solution to hang-overs. That is until I tried it - the first pint is hard to get down, but it does actually work.
Old Jul 17th 2011, 3:25 am
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lmartin999
Now that explains it...

I think you are just going have to wait it out.
I knew it! You weren't buying TTC tokens were you?
Great night. Cuzza down at Gerrard East soon please.
Old Jul 17th 2011, 3:34 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I was always sceptical of the dog hair solution to hang-overs. That is until I tried it - the first pint is hard to get down, but it does actually work.
Apart from dehydration, (I'm lead to believe) part of the hangover is the body processing some of the other fusel alcohols that were present, the hair of the dog works by putting in more ethyl alcohol which the body processes in preference diluting down and slowing (but not removing) the the processing of the other alcohols.

The other cause which is part speculation because I'm not clear on the chemistry behind it, but the trials do tend to correlate, is the presence of sodium metabisulphite (Sulphites) in the wines or beers as a preservative.

To start eat fatty food before you go drinking it helps slow down the absorption of the alcohol and gives the body more time to process the byproducts

IMHO avoid wine due to both the higher concentrations of fusel alcohols, and higher propensity to dehydrate due to higher alcohol concentration, and the presence of preservatives
Stick with preservative free beer, for volume drinking stick with Alc conc around 4 %
Other wise try to drink enough water to keep the average alcohol level around 4 % so for every great German beer at 6% drop a half pint of water along the way ( a nice sparking Perrier should make you look suitably girly), however a simple pint of light lager shandy makes a nice but discrete palette cleanser and with an average alc of 2% will drop the average nicely,

To be honest a lager/ginger ale shandy can make a decent hair of the dog too, drop one multi vitamin to make sure you body have the right nutrients to help process the toxins and you should be ready for a good solid breakfast with eggs,
eggs contain cysteine that helps break down the acetaldehyde produced form the alcohol..
washed down with a fruit juice for the the fructose which gives energy and will help metabolizes the toxins, and a banana to finish for its potassium (which got pissed away!)

Last edited by MikeUK; Jul 17th 2011 at 3:46 pm.
Old Jul 17th 2011, 3:51 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
Apart from dehydration, (I'm lead to believe) part of the hangover is the body processing some of the other fusel alcohols that were present, the hair of the dog works by putting in more ethyl alcohol which the body processes in preference diluting down and slowing (but not removing) the the processing of the other alcohols.

The other cause which is part speculation because I'm not clear on the chemistry behind it, but the trials do tend to correlate, is the presence of sodium metabisulphite (Sulphites) in the wines or beers as a preservative.

To start eat fatty food before you go drinking it helps slow down the absorption of the alcohol and gives the body more time to process the byproducts
IMHO avoid wine due to both the higher concentrations of fusel alcohols, and higher propensity to dehydrate due to higher alcohol concentration, and the presence of preservatives
Stick with preservative free beer, for volume drinking stick with Alc conc around 4 %
Other wise try to drink enough water to keep the average alcohol level around 4 % so for every great German beer at 6% drop a half pint of water along the way ( a nice sparking Perrier should make you look suitably girly), however a simple pint of light lager shandy makes a nice but discrete palette cleanser and with an average alc of 2% will drop the average nicely,

To be honest a lager/ginger ale shandy can make a decent hair of the dog too, drop one multi vitamin to make sure you body have the right nutrients to help process the toxins and you should be ready for a good solid breakfast with eggs,
eggs contain cysteine that helps break down the acetaldehyde produced form the alcohol..
washed down with a fruit juice for the the fructose which gives energy and will help metabolizes the toxins, and a banana to finish for its potassium (which got pissed away!)

FFS, it would be a good deal simpler just to give up drinking than make any sense of this.
Old Jul 17th 2011, 5:42 pm
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute

10 drops of Milk Thistle in a glass of water.

Fried egg, chips, malt vinegar and bread and butter. yummy
Old Jul 17th 2011, 6:48 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
I once saw them eat cheese before going drinking on an episode of Spooks so that they would not be tipsy when out trying to entrap some one they were spying on. This was based on the above!

Have a monster hangover today. I had a wedding yesterday. I started at a friends on vodka and coke then transitioned to red win before washing it all down with Coors Light. Feel like death.......was too intoxicated to drink any water when I got in.

My advice for beer only nights is usually two pints of water when you come in. If you force the second pint down you'll be pretty fresh in the morning.
Old Jul 17th 2011, 6:54 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM

My advice for beer only nights is usually two pints of water when you come in. If you force the second pint down you'll be pretty fresh in the morning.
Finish with some enthusiastic sexercise, help liberate a few endorphins then roll over and go to sleep

I find it the almost perfect hangover cure
Old Jul 18th 2011, 6:40 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Urrrrrrggghhhh, Stampede hangover, at least I didn't eat this shit: http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Vi...041/story.html
Old Jul 18th 2011, 8:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

britishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond repute

A litre of coke, 10 Tesco Jam Doghnuts (or really i should say Tim Hortons) some crisps to offset the sugar and my bed with English DVD's!
Old Jul 18th 2011, 8:13 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Pedialyte before and/or after sleep also helps.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

dannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Im off to Vegas in a few weeks with the lads for 5 days and this will be my tactic!