Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Half full or half empty? How do the Canadians see things

Wikiposts

Half full or half empty? How do the Canadians see things

Old Dec 31st 2008, 3:58 am
Forum Regular

drumhellerbound is a name known to alldrumhellerbound is a name known to alldrumhellerbound is a name known to alldrumhellerbound is a name known to alldrumhellerbound is a name known to alldrumhellerbound is a name known to alldrumhellerbound is a name known to alldrumhellerbound is a name known to alldrumhellerbound is a name known to alldrumhellerbound is a name known to alldrumhellerbound is a name known to all
Default Half full or half empty? How do the Canadians see things

Hey there

Been randomly posting on this site for a while, sorry I never introduced myself properly, not something I find easy to do (what do I say, where I start etc), so apologies if I haven't followed the forum etiquette, I wasn't trying to be rude or ignorant. - I did try to put a bit about me in the profile bit but I couldn't find where to put it. Main thing to know is OH and I are hoping to move to Canada in the next couple of months, following a job offer for him, but nothing is set in stone yet.

I have been reading this forum for a while now, and please forgive me if what I am about to ask has been covered lots of times, but you must realise how much information this forum contains, it's mind-boggling! Granted, I could spend the next 6 months reading every post but hey, it's nice to talk! - but feel free to point me to the posts if this has already been covered, I'd be most grateful!

I was reading a thread, "do you speak to other brits you come across" and a couple of comments made me want to ask more but I didn't want to sidetrack the thread so thought it best to start a new one.

So here goes:

A couple of people mentioned in that other thread that they wish they had been told a few of the drawbacks before emigrating - which drawbacks you wish you knew about before going and how would that have helped?

A couple of people also mentioned one of the aspects of the canadian way they find difficult to live with is a "glass is half full attitude" - can you explain what you mean by this? Now, a bit of background about me: some 19 years ago I moved from France (where I was born and bred), where people are never happy with anything and say so (ok, generalisation but come on, this is defo the french way) to the UK, where my experience is people moan about *everything* but never do much about it - so I am very interested to hear more about this "glass is half full" attitude and how it can be frustrating.

Oh, and hope all you have a very Happy New Year
Old Dec 31st 2008, 6:28 am
hwp
BE Enthusiast

hwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Half full or half empty? How do the Canadians see things

From my POV, as someone from Canada, I think the glass half full thing can be irritating because Canadian popular culture is highly masturbatory for anyone and anything Canadian. This leaves a lot of Canadians thinking they are way cooler, advanced, evolved, whatever than they actually are and so they poo-poo new, external, foreign, whatever ideas because they surely can't be as good as Canadian ones. How can that not be irritating?

Well that's how I see it and it must be the best way to see it because I am Canadian and so I know best. <cringes>.
Old Dec 31st 2008, 7:21 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hwp
This leaves a lot of Canadians thinking they are way cooler, advanced, evolved, whatever than they actually are and so they poo-poo new, external, foreign, whatever ideas because they surely can't be as good as Canadian ones.
Hence those threads about Canada being being the times in certain aspects - usually bureaucratic ones.
Old Dec 31st 2008, 9:04 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hwp
From my POV, as someone from Canada, I think the glass half full thing can be irritating because Canadian popular culture is highly masturbatory for anyone and anything Canadian. This leaves a lot of Canadians thinking they are way cooler, advanced, evolved, whatever than they actually are and so they poo-poo new, external, foreign, whatever ideas because they surely can't be as good as Canadian ones. How can that not be irritating?

Well that's how I see it and it must be the best way to see it because I am Canadian and so I know best. <cringes>.
I agree, and have posted on the glass half empty thing. It's good to be an optimist and to see the best in things, but it's irritating to live amongst people who can't see that others may do things better, that they can do things better, that you don't have to settle for half full, you could aim for 3/4 of a glass or maybe even full.
Old Dec 31st 2008, 9:11 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
you don't have to settle for half full, you could aim for 3/4 of a glass or maybe even full.
Or 1/4 of a glass or maybe even empty.

Happy New Year.
Old Dec 31st 2008, 9:12 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Or 1/4 of a glass or maybe even empty.

Happy New Year.
Ah yes, but you can't just sit there with that glass empty though, you are planning on refilling it. I am off to pour some cointreau and crushed ice.
Old Dec 31st 2008, 9:21 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Ah yes, but you can't just sit there with that glass empty though, you are planning on refilling it. I am off to pour some cointreau and crushed ice.
We're off out to dinner in a hour or so. Enjoy the cointreau.
Old Dec 31st 2008, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

benjamin78 has a brilliant futurebenjamin78 has a brilliant futurebenjamin78 has a brilliant futurebenjamin78 has a brilliant futurebenjamin78 has a brilliant futurebenjamin78 has a brilliant future

I have lived in Canada all my life and I try to look at the glass half full and I hate people who look at the glass half empty. If you are going to complain about something and not try to change it then just shut up. For example I know a lot of people who chose not to vote in the elections which is a good time to try to change the government but when they the same people get in they get all mad. So as you can see a lot of people in this country do look at the glass half empty but as for me I will always try to look at the glass half full.

Ben
Old Dec 31st 2008, 10:46 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by benjamin78
I have lived in Canada all my life and I try to look at the glass half full and I hate people who look at the glass half empty. If you are going to complain about something and not try to change it then just shut up. For example I know a lot of people who chose not to vote in the elections which is a good time to try to change the government but when they the same people get in they get all mad. So as you can see a lot of people in this country do look at the glass half empty but as for me I will always try to look at the glass half full.

Ben
I actually think the "glass half full / half empty" cliche is almost as annoying as "walking the talk, not talking the ..." gibberish. But you miss the point (or pint) that it is the case that (the majority) of Canadians are reluctant to take on new ideas, because "it's good enough the way we've always done it."

I'm not saying that's necessarily a bad thing, but it annoys a lot of immigrants, (not me in particular).

Last edited by Novocastrian; Dec 31st 2008 at 10:50 am.
Old Dec 31st 2008, 10:52 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

This leaves a lot of Canadians (read British/French/Germans) thinking they are way cooler, advanced, evolved, whatever than they actually are and so they poo-poo new, external, foreign, whatever ideas because they surely can't be as good as Canadian (read British/French/Germans) ones. How can that not be irritating?

You are generalizing, which is a fault of many posters on this site, probably including myself. The attitude you describe above could just as easily be generalized for Brits, the French, the Germans etc., etc. The countrymen/women of every country tend to think their lifestyle and way of doing things is the right and only way. If I were to go to the UK, France, Germany etc., and constantly comment how better/different things are in Canada I would be frowned upon and rightfully so. With the first big invasion of Yanks during WWll, British people took offense when it was pointed out how behind the times they were, how people smelled bad because of lack of decent bathing facilities or general lack thereof. The Yanks were right but how dare they insult the 20th, century centre of civility and decency. FCS, in the mid 60's there was still months of waiting to have a telephone installed in many parts of the UK. I remember a survey done around that time when it was stated that the UK was 15 years behind the USA and 10 years behind Canada. There was only one way for the UK to go, and that was up, which they've done very successfully. Most members of the EU have benefited immensely by the union with interchange of ideas and cultures. Personally, I don't think Canadians do the glass half empty/full thing any more than those of other countries, nor do I think they poo-poo new ideas but rather they embrace them, but probably slower than desirable. I keep reading on this site how bad our cell phone service/system is and from media reports that appears to be true. When I visit the UK/Europe and see everyone, it seems, with a cell phone stuck to an ear, I'm rather glad we're behind the times.
Old Dec 31st 2008, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

benjamin78 has a brilliant futurebenjamin78 has a brilliant futurebenjamin78 has a brilliant futurebenjamin78 has a brilliant futurebenjamin78 has a brilliant futurebenjamin78 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I actually think the "glass half full / half empty" cliche is almost as annoying as "walking the talk, not talking the ...". Gibberish.
Yes it can be if you hear it a lot But as i said in my first post it people who complain who do not do anything about it who annoy me. Just shut up and try to make a difference in the world already.
Old Dec 31st 2008, 12:28 pm
hwp
BE Enthusiast

hwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by brianscottie43
You are generalizing
Oh, please. I use language conscientiously, especially when discussing things in the social and cultural realms (I'm a social scientist). Had I written, "Canadians are xyz...", I'd take your point as that is a generalization. But I specifically wrote, "a lot of Canadians" because that is specifically not a generalization.
Old Dec 31st 2008, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

drumhellerbound is a name known to alldrumhellerbound is a name known to alldrumhellerbound is a name known to alldrumhellerbound is a name known to alldrumhellerbound is a name known to alldrumhellerbound is a name known to alldrumhellerbound is a name known to alldrumhellerbound is a name known to alldrumhellerbound is a name known to alldrumhellerbound is a name known to alldrumhellerbound is a name known to all

***** disclaimer - past midnight - need I say more - Ok what the hell am I doing here this time of (UK) night posting here? well OH has to get up early for work (in 4 hours time to be precise (and ppl wonder why we'd want to go to Canada where he actually wouldn't be expected to work w/e and bank hols!!)) so my only fun now (after spending a whole evening with lovely friends ) is here!*******

Happy New Year yet again - Sorry I am a sucker for New Year - really can't be asked with Xmas, but New Year is something else - every year I hope for something new (and I guess it never disappoint!)

God, Novacastrian, that statement of yours "Canadians are reluctant to take on new ideas, because "it's good enough the way we've always done it." How the Canadians see things scares the shit out of me to be honest - I constantly get into trouble here in the UK speaking my mind (that's what "they" call my "french way").

Brianscottie, to be honest, and I have participated to french forums (well at least one which was uncannily v similar to this one (doesn't exist now, massive burst up and everyone split )) but I don't think the french would agree with you that their way is the only and right way, my experience has been that they are quite open to differences - that being said, I am slightly worried how advanced the UK seems to be compared with Canada mind...but since I originally wanted to emigrate to Africa, I guess Canada ain't so bad - still though, i'm glad to be (made) aware of those differences.

Last edited by drumhellerbound; Dec 31st 2008 at 12:55 pm. Reason: well, new year and all that
Old Dec 31st 2008, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by hwp
Oh, please. I use language conscientiously, especially when discussing things in the social and cultural realms (I'm a social scientist). Had I written, "Canadians are xyz...", I'd take your point as that is a generalization. But I specifically wrote, "a lot of Canadians" because that is specifically not a generalization.
Well I generalise about the french and them never being happy with anything and I dare anyone to prove me I'm wrong (honest, when I move to Canada, I'll swap the "s" with the "z"!)
Old Dec 31st 2008, 2:47 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by drumhellerbound
A couple of people mentioned in that other thread that they wish they had been told a few of the drawbacks before emigrating - which drawbacks you wish you knew about before going and how would that have helped?

Oh, and hope all you have a very Happy New Year
Happy New Year to you too.

Originally Posted by hwp
Canadian popular culture is highly masturbatory for anyone and anything Canadian.
I've never heard it phrased that way before!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.