Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Had it with this place - do not move here

Had it with this place - do not move here

Old Jan 9th 2010, 3:15 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Had it with this place - do not move here

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
I dunno, the OH and I thought Uk tv was pretty shite when we were there last year. Maybe it depends on what kind of shite you're used to.
There is crap on UK tv but really Canadian tv? Little mosque and the stupid diner programme?
Old Jan 9th 2010, 3:47 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
I dunno, the OH and I thought Uk tv was pretty shite when we were there last year. Maybe it depends on what kind of shite you're used to.
That's crazy talk....

UK TV may be 99% crap, but there is at least 1% that isn't. Canadian TV doesn't even have that...
Old Jan 9th 2010, 5:49 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
That's crazy talk....

UK TV may be 99% crap, but there is at least 1% that isn't. Canadian TV doesn't even have that...
GLEEEEEEEEEEEEE was good - but sposse that was US !!
Old Jan 9th 2010, 6:01 am
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

That's crazy talk....

Thank heavens for PBS. If it wasn't for that there would be absolutely nothing worth watching down here.
Old Jan 9th 2010, 9:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
Posted by me in September-

So, you have a nice middle-class or better lifestyle in a nice part of England/Scotland/Wales/NI. You own or are buying a nice house, you both have or one of you has a good job with an income(s) sufficient to support your lifestyle/family. You get 30-40 days vacation a year and take two or more family vacations each year. Two cars are on your driveway and you have all the boy’s/girl’s toys you want. Your children are happy in and doing well in school. You’re close physically to your families and value that greatly.

So why are you contemplating abandoning all this and travelling between 3,000 and 10,000 miles to move to Canada/Australia/New Zealand for, hopefully, a similar or perhaps slightly better lifestyle? The move will cost you a considerable amount of money to say nothing of the stress factors involved for all in the family.

There are a number of people on this site who have posted describing such a UK lifestyle. So what's in it for you?__________________
A change from the mundane not everyone is content to live in that little bubble sometimes in life you have to take a chance on discovering new adventures and ok its not Sir Walter Raliegh stuff but its still an adventure, no point going if you don't want/like change

The Mountie from Due South?[/QUOTE]

Oooooowwww yes

[QUOTE=AmyDavid;8230070]
Originally Posted by dollface

Dipped in Maple Syrup. mmmmmmmmmmm
ooooowwww yes please

Originally Posted by bodgerx
I agree to some extent - we do like to knock what we have here in the UK. It is a big step to move - there must be something that Brits are liking over in Canada.
sure is wide open spaces, diverse culture ( i know there is this in London )
white Christmas and hot summers we hope skiing etc etc always wanted more than half an hour on a snowmobile its exciting to meet new people, i know things will not always be what we want but am willing to give it a go .

Originally Posted by Oink
There is crap on UK tv but really Canadian tv? Little mosque and the stupid diner programme?

pretty craaap TV here and thats with sky, could always try that old fashioned thing and do something else ?
Old Jan 9th 2010, 9:41 am
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
http://www.canuckabroad.com/forums/

Not as insane as this one, but fairly active.
This post from here made me laugh:

"I am moving back to Canada because I am tired. I have been here far too long-longer than I ever expected. I hate the weather the gloom and the public transport. I hate how expensive things are and how crowded everything is here. There many MANY other reasons why I want to leave although some are more to do with me personally to be fair. I miss my Uncle, my Grandma my Cosines and Hockey Night in Canada. I miss cold snowy winter mornings and white Christmas' I miss Toronto, I miss North American TV AND Goldfish crackers. I miss Thanksgiving dinners. I miss Canada, I miss home."

...surely not the TV?

It is almost the mirror forum of this one!
Old Jan 9th 2010, 10:00 am

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Europeans tend to travel more than North Americans as well. Can anyone imagine an American Expats or Canadian Expats website like this one?
"Escape from America magazine"
Old Jan 9th 2010, 10:13 am
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

A Canadian, from the same forum again:

"
But I miss shovelling the driveway! I miss snow - Fullstop (to sound British for a second). I was in Scotland all winter last year and still barely managed to see snow! I've been here 4 years, and it's not bad, but it'll never be home. That'll always be Canada.
"
Old Jan 9th 2010, 11:52 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

...surely not the TV?
I think perhaps this poster has mental issues and should be found and sectioned!
Old Jan 9th 2010, 1:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

A Canadian, from the same forum again:

"
But I miss shovelling the driveway! I miss snow - Fullstop (to sound British for a second). I was in Scotland all winter last year and still barely managed to see snow! I've been here 4 years, and it's not bad, but it'll never be home. That'll always be Canada.
"
I had to laugh when I saw some of the copies of posts from the canadian forum. It's like being in a parallel universe, well worth the read just to get an idea of their perception of what is the norm for us...
Old Jan 9th 2010, 5:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Keith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of light

Europeans tend to travel more than North Americans as well. Can anyone imagine an American Expats or Canadian Expats website like this one?
http://www.americanexpats.co.uk/forum/index.php
Old Jan 9th 2010, 6:04 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Slightly smaller than this place, probably due to the fact you have to pay!!! Cheeky gits.

Still pays me to google before making baseless assumptions.
Old Jan 9th 2010, 6:46 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Slightly smaller than this place, probably due to the fact you have to pay!!!
Don't give the boss any ideas...

Why break a pleasant habit. Facts rarely meet many posts on here.
Old Jan 9th 2010, 8:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really nice

Originally Posted by Oink
I had a quick look on there and all they do is bang on about food and the lack of ice hockey on tv. The whinging bastards.
Sounds a bit like a mirror of the content on a Brit expat website!
Old Jan 9th 2010, 11:14 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I've just registered on that Canuck site, (same username). Come and join me, it should be a giggle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.