Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Had it with this place - do not move here

Had it with this place - do not move here

Old Jan 7th 2010, 9:14 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Had it with this place - do not move here

Originally Posted by GagainPEI
But I like living here.
I think it is too cold in the winter and there are too many fat people here.
Old Jan 7th 2010, 9:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jan the piglet
I have met some lovely Canadians who actually ask me why the heck I emigrated. They've lived temporarily in UK or visited for hols and absolutely adore the scenery, people, pubs and closeness. We've decided they're right and we're going back to be nearer relatives - you can't buy that.
Have a great 2010, Jan
Interesting - the numbers disagree with you anecdote though; net migration is in credit of Canada (UK vs Canada).
Old Jan 7th 2010, 10:04 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bodgerx
Interesting - the numbers disagree with you anecdote though; net migration is in credit of Canada (UK vs Canada).
She didn't do any comparative analysis in this post, she just said that some Canadians she's met wondered why someone would leave the UK for Canada. Quite frankly, I've had the same response from many cradles. Many of the ones I've spoken with find hard to understand why we'd give up our family and friends, beautiful scenery, rich and storied culture to live in Canada. I think they have a point.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 8:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

canadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to behold

Yeah, this may be the case but it doesn't invalidate her point. Many people come out to Canada through their own ignorance and dissatisfaction with the only place they do know, which is what I was originally warning about. The difference is that in UK if you say I'm thinking of emigrating, more people will probably tell you to do it. But that's because brits like to knock themselves without having any substance. A kind of "anywhere better than this place" attitude. Well I've felt that here in BC but still treading very cautiously. Don't want to step out of the pan into the fire, but also don't have enough money to make a mistake the next time around.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 8:10 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
She didn't do any comparative analysis in this post, she just said that some Canadians she's met wondered why someone would leave the UK for Canada. Quite frankly, I've had the same response from many cradles. Many of the ones I've spoken with find hard to understand why we'd give up our family and friends, beautiful scenery, rich and storied culture to live in Canada. I think they have a point.
Can't disagree with that either....................
Old Jan 8th 2010, 8:10 pm
Account Closed

jan the piglet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by canadian_critic
Yeah, this may be the case but it doesn't invalidate her point. Many people come out to Canada through their own ignorance and dissatisfaction with the only place they do know, which is what I was originally warning about. The difference is that in UK if you say I'm thinking of emigrating, more people will probably tell you to do it. But that's because brits like to knock themselves without having any substance. A kind of "anywhere better than this place" attitude. Well I've felt that here in BC but still treading very cautiously. Don't want to step out of the pan into the fire, but also don't have enough money to make a mistake the next time around.
very well put - HUGE decision and good luck
Old Jan 8th 2010, 8:44 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Posted by me in September-

So, you have a nice middle-class or better lifestyle in a nice part of England/Scotland/Wales/NI. You own or are buying a nice house, you both have or one of you has a good job with an income(s) sufficient to support your lifestyle/family. You get 30-40 days vacation a year and take two or more family vacations each year. Two cars are on your driveway and you have all the boy’s/girl’s toys you want. Your children are happy in and doing well in school. You’re close physically to your families and value that greatly.

So why are you contemplating abandoning all this and travelling between 3,000 and 10,000 miles to move to Canada/Australia/New Zealand for, hopefully, a similar or perhaps slightly better lifestyle? The move will cost you a considerable amount of money to say nothing of the stress factors involved for all in the family.

There are a number of people on this site who have posted describing such a UK lifestyle. So what's in it for you?__________________
Old Jan 8th 2010, 8:49 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Auld Yin;8230033]Posted by me in September-

So, you have a nice middle-class or better lifestyle in a nice part of England/Scotland/Wales/NI. You own or are buying a nice house, you both have or one of you has a good job with an income(s) sufficient to support your lifestyle/family. You get 30-40 days vacation a year and take two or more family vacations each year. Two cars are on your driveway and you have all the boy’s/girl’s toys you want. Your children are happy in and doing well in school. You’re close physically to your families and value that greatly.

So why are you contemplating abandoning all this and travelling between 3,000 and 10,000 miles to move to Canada/Australia/New Zealand for, hopefully, a similar or perhaps slightly better lifestyle? The move will cost you a considerable amount of money to say nothing of the stress factors involved for all in the family.

There are a number of people on this site who have posted describing such a UK lifestyle. So what's in it for you?__________________[/QUOTE]

The Mountie from Due South?
Old Jan 8th 2010, 8:53 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=dollface;8230056]
Originally Posted by Auld Yin

There are a number of people on this site who have posted describing such a UK lifestyle. So what's in it for you?__________________[/QUOTE]

The Mountie from Due South?
Dipped in Maple Syrup. mmmmmmmmmmm
Old Jan 8th 2010, 9:12 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

.........There are a number of people on this site who have posted describing such a UK lifestyle. So what's in it for you?__________________

A change of scenery, a different scope of opportunities, different (not necessarily better) lifestyle, the personal challenge, an itch that needed scratching, better climate, etc etc.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 9:12 pm

[QUOTE=AmyDavid;8230070]
Originally Posted by dollface

Dipped in Maple Syrup. mmmmmmmmmmm
Old Jan 8th 2010, 9:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by canadian_critic
I agree to some extent - we do like to knock what we have here in the UK. It is a big step to move - there must be something that Brits are liking over in Canada.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 9:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

There are a number of people on this site who have posted describing such a UK lifestyle. So what's in it for you?__________________
True, but I would say not everyone is in such a favorable situation you describe.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 10:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

brizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to behold

Possibly on sheers numbers alone, but there is almost twice the population in the UK, hence if twice as many Brits move to Canada than vice-versa, then there is no difference. I would also wager that more Canadians move to the UK, with a British ppt (thru ancestry) than vice-versa and therefore are not 'immigration' statistics.

Originally Posted by R I C H
A change of scenery, a different scope of opportunities, different (not necessarily better) lifestyle, the personal challenge, an itch that needed scratching, better climate, etc etc.
I sort of know what you are talking about (hotter summers and snowy cold winters), but there is still something I find absurd about the concept of moving to Canada for a better climate !! Vancouver for me, is probably very similar to the UK.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 10:29 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brizzle
Possibly on sheers numbers alone, but there is almost twice the population in the UK, hence if twice as many Brits move to Canada than vice-versa, then there is no difference. I would also wager that more Canadians move to the UK, with a British ppt (thru ancestry) than vice-versa and therefore are not 'immigration' statistics.
Europeans tend to travel more than North Americans as well. Can anyone imagine an American Expats or Canadian Expats website like this one?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.