British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Had the call (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/had-call-698848/)

YYZlover Jan 2nd 2011 2:08 am

Had the call

There is no other way to put this.

I woke up early new years eve with a very weird feeling. Kept checking my phone for messages and eventually there was one from my sister in law to call her. I did.

My parents' house burned down to the ground. My sister found the smoldering remains at about 11 am CET. My parents were nowhere to be found. Their car parked outside what used to be their home. Forensics think it will take weeks to find any remains, if at all.

I am returning to sweden this coming weekend. Luckily I have travel insurance and they are dealing with my return ticket right now.

Thankfully my sisters' dogs were not with my parents the night the fire ravished the house, so at least she has them and the rest of the siblings. I am taking for granted that my beloved cats perished in the fire as well as my parents. The barn, the horses and my tiny little cottage (which doesn't have kitchen or bathroom, I shared that with my parents) is still there.

I fully intend to be back in Toronto within months as this is now more than ever the place I call home. My friends here have opened up their home and hearts to me and they also tell me to make it back here soon.

I have a coule of more job interviews this week (we gave up on service canada on the job I came here for) and a few are looking really good.

You won't be hearing from me for a while.

ldyinlv Jan 2nd 2011 2:10 am

Re: Had the call

Originally Posted by YYZlover (Post 9071642)
There is no other way to put this.

I woke up early new years eve with a very weird feeling. Kept checking my phone for messages and eventually there was one from my sister in law to call her. I did.

My parents' house burned down to the ground. My sister found the smoldering remains at about 11 am CET. My parents were nowhere to be found. Their car parked outside what used to be their home. Forensics think it will take weeks to find any remains, if at all.

I am returning to sweden this coming weekend. Luckily I have travel insurance and they are dealing with my return ticket right now.

Thankfully my sisters' dogs were not with my parents the night the fire ravished the house, so at least she has them and the rest of the siblings. I am taking for granted that my beloved cats perished in the fire as well as my parents. The barn, the horses and my tiny little cottage (which doesn't have kitchen or bathroom, I shared that with my parents) is still there.

I fully intend to be back in Toronto within months as this is now more than ever the place I call home. My friends here have opened up their home and hearts to me and they also tell me to make it back here soon.

I have a coule of more job interviews this week (we gave up on service canada on the job I came here for) and a few are looking really good.

You won't be hearing from me for a while.

OMG, I am so sorry....good luck.

Essay Jan 2nd 2011 2:12 am

My heart breaks for you.

zmartin Jan 2nd 2011 2:32 am

Feeling for you.

x

ExKiwilass Jan 2nd 2011 2:35 am

terrible news. I am so sorry. :(

Novocastrian Jan 2nd 2011 2:39 am

Oh my god. So sorry.

The4BellsLondon Jan 2nd 2011 3:05 am

Thats awful - hugs x x x x x

mandymoochops Jan 2nd 2011 4:26 am

Jesus Christ my heart goes out to you. F**k can't really add any more to that :(

triumphguy Jan 2nd 2011 5:07 am

That's terrible - the worst news possible.

CanadaJimmy Jan 2nd 2011 5:24 am

This must be an example of the sort of nightmares all of us have leaving family behind. How terrible of that to happen to your parents and how tragic for you and your family to have to deal with.

:(

Joe_Sleepy Jan 2nd 2011 5:30 am

My heartfelt condolences.

roxye3 Jan 2nd 2011 7:04 am

Be strong! All the best mate! :(

Jojojane Jan 2nd 2011 7:20 am

Prayers are with you!

Tuppence Jan 2nd 2011 12:02 pm

That is horrific. I'm so sorry.

Atlantic Xpat Jan 2nd 2011 12:34 pm

Nothing I can say other than be strong and you have people here who are thinking about you.