British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Guitar Mad People (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/guitar-mad-people-904223/)

strat Oct 13th 2017 3:36 am

Re: Guitar Mad People

hi magnumpi, thanks. my response wasn't really very good. truth is I did try hard to learn theory, but for me it seemed to open things up to the point where I got lost and confused in it. so now (and for a long time) I just play and record myself and listen and play and.... you get the picture. now i'm retired so as you can imagine I have time to play a lot. I tend to have had significant 'quantum' jumps, or ah-ha moments, probably same as you, pentatonics, bends, slides, barre chords of course... then long lulls where I want to toss the stuff out the window, then I start again. most recently ive realized how crucial voicing is, and had I been led/taught along those lines i'd have been there years ago, instead I come across these things terribly slowly, although its fun when the penny drops as they say. on soloing over, I tend to be repetitive, unless I really think about varying the dynamics. I probably use the wrong scales over chords, and to be brutally honest I mostly don't know where I really ought to be on the fretboard (probably shows more often than not). I play many hours over tracks on youtube, right now 'old love' by Clapton, 'empty promises' by Michael burkes... apologies for the layout, capitalization etc, I hate writing in textboxes... cheers.

strat Oct 13th 2017 12:51 pm

hope links permitted, try this, gorgeous rendition of little red corvette, finally I could understand what was being sung ;)

magnumpi Oct 13th 2017 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by strat (Post 12360121)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sCEbFRQaIc

hope links permitted, try this, gorgeous rendition of little red corvette, finally I could understand what was being sung ;)

Will look tonight thanks

I had a look see at some backing tracks, a blues one I looked at actually showed each chord change or key, so as long as I know my basic major scale and can identify the notes on the first, thickest string, I gues I can play along using the root of the key as my guide to which scale to be on. Will try it out tonight.

Almost Canadian Oct 13th 2017 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 12359865)
Love the song Creep!! If it's not too difficult, I should try to learn it!

Just had my lesson last night, and am starting to learn finger -picking the song Hey Jude.

Rene

I believe that this is the best Creep lesson on YT. Give it a go:

magnumpi Oct 13th 2017 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 12360136)
I believe that this is the best Creep lesson on YT. Give it a go:

How to play Creep on guitar

Thanks, love that song, also been playing karma police on acoustic, easy open chords, mostly ;)

Here is the Purple rain lesson I liked loads, I just love these chords now !!

Lots to keep us all busy just on this thread alone Lol

Almost Canadian Oct 13th 2017 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by magnumpi (Post 12360143)
Thanks, love that song, also been playing karma police on acoustic, easy open chords, mostly ;)

Here is the Purple rain lesson I liked loads, I just love these chords now !!

Lots to keep us all busy just on this thread alone Lol

https://youtu.be/cjbtbNXQ0_Y

That instructor is another good one. Like you said, the chords are interesting and not that hard to learn, particularly if you don't attempt to get the final chord in the intro sequence done in one hit, but place your fingers down as you play the notes as shown in that video.

It took me forever to get the arpeggio sequence in "Still Got the Blues for You" (the bit where, in the first run through the piano plays it, and in the second run through the guitar does) simply because, from the book, I was always trying to place all fingers of the "chord" down at the same time. When I saw it on YT, I had a lightbulb moment.

strat Oct 13th 2017 1:55 pm

yeah, as you say, once you are oriented to the location on the neck, it is very easy to play along and then shift positions an octave, add bends, slurs, hammer-ons, pull offs and so on, embellishing as you feel. The biggest issue I find is getting locked into a repeating pattern. I love that quote from albert King 'I got only one song and play it fast medium and slow'

I notice you are 'up there' in Canada, one of the guys I like from up there is David Gogo, his version of a 'its a mans world' is really cool, sort of 'burns' from a slow casual intro to a tumult... right now I am in Johnny winter-land, for the past couple of weeks I've been messing with 'rain' and 'its a hard life', really like his wavery chorusy tone, just on the edge of distortion...

Noorah101 Oct 13th 2017 6:19 pm

Just wanted to thank everyone for the links. I will check them out this weekend!

I'm at work right but would rather be home practicing!

Rene

strat Oct 13th 2017 7:52 pm

Promise no more links from me after this ;) this is one of my faves. Greg Koch I believe is the top fender demo guy. He lives in another galaxy guitarwise... he has a really good guitar site where he demos high end guitars of all types, think its wildwood guitars or something. Killer stuff as he gradually segues from country hybrid picking through what I think is Ritchie Blackmore, to Led Zeppelin's overdone classic...

magnumpi Oct 15th 2017 1:21 pm

So I tried AC-DC Hells Bells, it is an easy, ish, fun tune to play

Almost Canadian Oct 15th 2017 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by magnumpi (Post 12361396)
So I tried AC-DC Hells Bells, it is an easy, ish, fun tune to play

I agree; as are Back in Black, Highway to Hell and You Shook Me All Night Long (first solo I ever learned).

magnumpi Oct 15th 2017 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 12361471)
I agree; as are Back in Black, Highway to Hell and You Shook Me All Night Long (first solo I ever learned).

Back In Black

Highway to Hell

You Shook Me All Night Long

Ha ha thanks, looks like I have a busy few evenings ahead

Almost Canadian Oct 15th 2017 7:24 pm

One piece of kit I would recommend to everyone is Transcribe: Transcribe

It's around $50 and it can enable you to slow down any music without affecting the pitch. I use it for learning solos (you can play them at whatever percentage of the original song) while having the song playing in the background and I also use it to transcribe solos and riffs myself. The other thing I love about it is that you can raise/lower the pitch of the original song too so, if you wish to switch between songs that are, for example, standard tuning or half or a full step down, you don't have to keep retuning your guitar.

It also allows you to download it for a trial period without having to pay for it.

Noorah101 Oct 15th 2017 7:42 pm

I use a very similar program called The Amazing Slowdowner! I use it all the time. It does exactly what you describe above.

Rene

Almost Canadian Oct 15th 2017 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 12361663)
I use a very similar program called The Amazing Slowdowner! I use it all the time. It does exactly what you describe above.

Rene

Cool