Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Growing your own veggies

Growing your own veggies

Old Jun 14th 2018, 1:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Growing your own veggies

Originally Posted by R I C H
We tried to grow all sorts of fruit and veg; potatoes, runner beans, beetroot, carrots, zucchini, garlic, pears, apples, peaches, cherries and melons. We encountered issues in the countryside where we had acreage, and wildlife proved impossible to control (bears ate the fruit, deer enjoyed the veggies and squirrels/chipmunks/gophers helped themselves to everything). In a slightly more urban setting, though on the periphery to Crown Land, we still had deer problems, but it was the cost of irrigating that was prohibitive. Kamloops summers require a huge amount of water to keep any sort of garden alive, and once we were reliant on city water supplies with a meter, the veggie garden consumed way more $ in water than the cost of purchasing from a fruit and veg stand or grocery store.
That is the one saving that we have as we are on a well so, other than the cost of replacing components when they expire, all our water is "free"
Old Jun 14th 2018, 1:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
We grow in both raised beds that I built a couple of years back, a vegetable patch & a greenhouse. We're rather late at starting this year due to too much other stuff going on & will be planting in all of those places this weekend. Given that a week ago we had a dusting of snow on the ground and that night time temps still get perilously close to freezing we're probably not too far behind schedule for the outside planting at least. Short growing season in this part of the world.

We've had success with spuds, too many tomatoes to eat, peas and sometimes broccoli. Corn has done well in the greenhouse but the wind is a problem outside. Truth to tell the effort in growing 6 heads of corn wasn't probably worth it except to educate the kids on where corn actually comes from! Carrots are straightforward enough as well. Strawberries have been a bit hit and miss - the birds get a good feed, we don't!
We bought a couple of tomato plants last year and they produced an abundance of cherry tomatoes of various colours. From what you and others have said, we made need to look into planting some.

We have a fair amount of birds and I have to admit that, until I starting reading the replies here, I wouldn't have thought I would have to worry about them.
Old Jun 14th 2018, 1:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
We've been very successful with peas, runner beans and cucumbers. I built a frame of 2x2 posts and made a mesh of twine for them to climb up - more cost effective (and frankly less ugly) than a lot of the commercially available climbing frames, and the fact that the edible bits are some way off the ground discourages the rabbits and chipmunks from destroying them before we were ready to harvest. We were also inundated with butternut squash one year - the plant spread much more widely than we'd expected, and while the squashes were excellent (we kept some in the cold room for most of the winter, after making and freezing a huge batch of soup with the first lot) they did rather take over the space and crowd out some of the other veggies. Shallots, garlic, and a selection of herbs are pretty much a given, too - the onions and garlic are usually planted in among the roses, as rumour has it they are good companion plants to keep the bugs away from the rose flowers (I don't know that it actually makes a lot of difference, to be honest).

Tomatoes and strawberries were a little less successful - the few fruits that we got were delicious, but the bushiness of the cherry tomato plants and the low-to-the-ground-ness of the strawbs meant that critters got there before we did, more often than not.

We did potatoes for several years, until one year when a family of rats decided that the potato bed would be an awesome place to build a nest. My OH's disgust at unearthing spuds and getting a handful of baby rats instead has rather put us off trying that again any time soon!

I don't think we've ever quite managed to get timings right for carrots - we either plant to late, or forget to thin out in time, or whatever, but by first frost we've had a small quantity of edible roots and a whole load of tiny stringy things that wouldn't even grace the most nouvelle-cuisine of micro-salads. We'll keep trying - one year will get it right.

I'm envious of the Lower Mainland-ites talking about harvesting leeks in late winter. You'd need a jack-hammer to do that here

edit to add: one year the chipmunks left us a few tomatoes. This was one day's crop in around 2010, I think
Thank you.

From what everyone has been saying here, it is sounding like we may be able to make a success of this.

Apparently, Alberta is "rat free" and I can imagine your wife's horror with discovering little one in amongst your spuds!
Old Jun 14th 2018, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Siouxie has reminded me (how could I forget??!!) that we have a raised bed built out of concrete blocks close to the house. We have growing round the outside of this little wall was have a huge sage bush which has been thriving in full sun for many years. I always have a supply of dried leaves for the winter. Also there are two types of lavender, rosemary, and a lemon thyme. All are perennial here.

The raised bed has had various plants in .......... tomatoes for several years, holding area for house plants getting an open air spell, strawberries for the last 3 years but OH took them out and replaced them with raspberries this spring. We'll see how they do.

Our biggest problem for low growing fruits is actually slugs .......... we grow some big ones out here on the West Coast.

Squirrels will attack apples that fall onto the ground, and they have been known to take bites out of the kiwi fruit on the vine ...... unfortunately kiwis have to ripen and soften OFF the vine as they are really hard. We once had someone come into the garden and pick about half a dozen off the vine ........... we later found a couple of them thrown away down the street. They are too hard to bite into. OH picks them around the time of first frost or last week in October, then puts them in brown paper bags and into a small fridge in the basement. He can start to eat them around New Year.

We do have raccoons and skunks around, and crows that will attack grassed areas looking for insects, but none of them seem interested in veggies. Nor are the coyotes! Deer are a huge problem in many areas, including on the outskirts of towns or even in small villages. Then you have to surround the veggie patch with good fencing ............ as friends who lived in Nanaimo discovered. They had a chest-high wooden fence with a secure gate built around their rather large patch.
Old Jun 18th 2018, 3:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

We have successfully grown hot peppers, zuchini, zuchetta, beans, peas, cucumber, tomatoes, arugula, radishes, potatoes, rhubarb, kolrabi , strawberries, raspberries and various herbs, less successful with cabbage, lettuce and carrots. This year we have all of the above planted plus an additional 50 fruit trees (apples, pears, apricots, pawpaw, persimmon, cherries and plums), asparagus, 150 raspberry canes and 300 Haskap plants, plus sea buckthorn and chokeberries. I suspect we are going to have some very fat deer and raccoons. We grow most veggies from seed in raised beds.

BTW do you remember Mrs Almost Canadian helping me out with some tips about training our pup to herd. Turns out we needn't have worried, he is terrified of the ducks and the ducks know it, so all we need to do is stand where we want them to go and call the dog to us and the ducks chase him. It works.
Old Jun 18th 2018, 3:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
We have successfully grown hot peppers, zuchini, zuchetta, beans, peas, cucumber, tomatoes, arugula, radishes, potatoes, rhubarb, kolrabi , strawberries, raspberries and various herbs, less successful with cabbage, lettuce and carrots. This year we have all of the above planted plus an additional 50 fruit trees (apples, pears, apricots, pawpaw, persimmon, cherries and plums), asparagus, 150 raspberry canes and 300 Haskap plants, plus sea buckthorn and chokeberries. I suspect we are going to have some very fat deer and raccoons. We grow most veggies from seed in raised beds.

Sounds like you have your hands full! My wife was very pleased yesterday and we now have rows of green things coming up.

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
BTW do you remember Mrs Almost Canadian helping me out with some tips about training our pup to herd. Turns out we needn't have worried, he is terrified of the ducks and the ducks know it, so all we need to do is stand where we want them to go and call the dog to us and the ducks chase him. It works.
I do and I am glad to hear that things are working out.

We acquired another dog just over a week ago. Picture below.

Old Jun 18th 2018, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

He's a cutie.
These are our latest additions. I had to sit on the eggs myself for several hours during a power outage so I am very proud of these little guys.
Old Jun 18th 2018, 10:14 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian

Sounds like you have your hands full! My wife was very pleased yesterday and we now have rows of green things coming up.

[COLOR=#333333]

I do and I am glad to hear that things are working out.

We acquired another dog just over a week ago. Picture below.

he is beautiful, magnificent. What breed? Belgian shepherd ?
Old Jun 18th 2018, 10:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bats

he is beautiful, magnificent. What breed? Belgian shepherd ?
Thank you. She is a Belgian Malinois

Last edited by Almost Canadian; Jun 18th 2018 at 10:38 pm.
Old Jul 9th 2018, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

gad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond repute

I also didn't do too badly with pests. Although we lived across the road from Fish Creek Park we rarely saw deer in the neighbourhood. A hare lived in our front garden but didn't touch the veggies in the back. It was surprising that the birds didn't eat the raspberries. Squirrels were the main problem. I had grown sunflowers from a friends seed and they would self-seed or I'd save the seed for next year. One year they took the heads off all of them.

Alberta is very strict about rat control and you have to report if you see one. Because we had cats the mice moved out of our house.

Enjoy your garden. And your new dog.