British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Groundhog Day (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/groundhog-day-891026/)

Souvy Feb 2nd 2017 12:47 pm

Groundhog Day

The results are out. Sam, Willie and Phil have made their predictions.

A 2-1 majority says that Spring is on the way. A close call under the existing system. Proportional representation would have made the result much clearer.

Phil (Pennsylvania) and Willie (Ontario) both voted for Spring. They represent far more people than Sam (Nova Scotia).

Shard Feb 2nd 2017 12:52 pm

Re: Groundhog Day

Damn, I hope they're right. So wet right now.

Former Lancastrian Feb 2nd 2017 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by Souvy (Post 12168889)

A 2-1 majority says that Spring is on the way. A close call under the existing system. Proportional representation would have made the result much clearer.

Phil (Pennsylvania) and Willie (Ontario) both voted for Spring. They represent far more people than Sam (Nova Scotia).

Is the Canadian groundhog allowed to compete? Perhaps we should check the 20 or so Executive Orders made by Trump just in case as then you would have an Alternative Result. Will the US be requesting a DNA sample ensuring Willie has no links to 7 certain countries thereby disqualifying him from competing as I believe this would be covered by NAFTA regulations.

Howefamily Feb 2nd 2017 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12168919)
Is the Canadian groundhog allowed to compete? Perhaps we should check the 20 or so Executive Orders made by Trump just in case as then you would have an Alternative Result. Will the US be requesting a DNA sample ensuring Willie has no links to 7 certain countries thereby disqualifying him from competing as I believe this would be covered by NAFTA regulations.

LOL! He may be dual nationality... I thought there was something dodgy the last time I saw him eating his carrots!

Atlantic Xpat Feb 2nd 2017 1:28 pm

According to CBC Willie & Sam predict Spring while Phil predicts another 6 weeks of winter. Groundhog Day consensus calls for early spring - Canada - CBC News

So to put this into Trumpean tweet lingo

"Canadian NAFTA Groundhogs WRONG. America First Phil predicts 6 more weeks of winter. Sad!"

Souvy Feb 2nd 2017 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat (Post 12168943)
According to CBC Willie & Sam predict Spring while Phil predicts another 6 weeks of winter. Groundhog Day consensus calls for early spring - Canada - CBC News

So to put this into Trumpean tweet lingo

"Canadian NAFTA Groundhogs WRONG. America First Phil predicts 6 more weeks of winter. Sad!"

My God, you're right. I switched nationalities on two of them.

We are heading for a "Canada Spring" and we know what that phrase leads to...

Pulaski Feb 2nd 2017 2:12 pm

There was an abstention in my neck of the woods! :rofl:

Former Lancastrian Feb 2nd 2017 4:37 pm

Manitoba's resident weather-predicting rodents agree: we're in for another month and a half of cold and snow.
Merv, a plush stuffed animal, has been in the Groundhog Day game for more than two decades. But Wyn, a real-life woodchuck, is Manitoba's newest weather prognosticator, making her debut Thursday.
Oak Hammock Marsh's Manitoba Merv and the Prairie Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre's Winnipeg Wyn emerged from their hidey holes Thursday for Groundhog Day and spotted their shadows, meaning we're in for another six weeks of winter.

New Winnipeg woodchuck forecasts long winter at Groundhog Day debut - Manitoba - CBC News

Winnipeg Police have arrested 2 persons and will be charging them with cruelty to an animal. The funeral for the live now deceased woodchuck will be held next week. A replacement stuffed one is expected from Toys R Us next week.

Paul_Shepherd Feb 2nd 2017 4:43 pm

Well if its spring they voted for lets get on with it i say!! none of this in between rubbish!!! Cant snowmobile, cant ski and I cant put my shorts on! its been a very British winter here in southern Ontario, grey,dreary mild and damp, very non descript! a whole lot of nothingness! :thumbdown:

Piff Poff Feb 2nd 2017 7:48 pm

Balzac Billy says 6 more weeks of winter. Oh well.