Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

"Ground Zero" Mosque. Should they or shouldn't they?

Wikiposts

"Ground Zero" Mosque. Should they or shouldn't they?

Old Aug 27th 2010, 5:53 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Ground Zero" Mosque. Should they or shouldn't they?

Originally Posted by quietgiroth
It is a couple of blocks away.
And anyway, it's not a mosque.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 5:57 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fowler71
Your a bit of a smart ass hardly worthy of a reply but for the other folks, my Rationale is that Muslims should not be allowed to have a place of worship close to ground zero no more then if the Germans built their Plish embassy beside Auschwitz, Americans setting up in Hiroshima or the erecting of Cromwells statue in Wexford.
I suggest that the idea of the Muslims as a nation hostile to the US doesn't hold because:

- there's no Muslim nation

- some Muslims are Americans

And, yes, I have a nice arse, thank you for noticing.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 6:01 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quietgiroth
I started typing a reply to this, but the dumb idiotic republican ideals of the USA piss me off so much. Very condensed version...
At the end of the day, one of the pinnacle ideas behind the USA is religious freedom. It's the First Amendment, that's before guns...freedom of religion.
At the end of the day all other issues of taste ect are mute. Do they have the right. Yes.
If not just how far away can you build a mosque from that site, 1 mile, 10 miles, 100 miles, 1000 miles? Just what mile marker show's respect.
When does it become alright to build a religious building near the WTC, what is the correct distance for Muslims in the USA to express their Allah given American right of religious freedom?
I dont think anyone is arguing they have no right to do it, but just because one has the right to do something doesnt mean its necessarily the best thing to do under the circumstances.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 6:10 am
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Your a bit of a smart ass hardly worthy of a reply but for the other folks, my Rationale is that Muslims should not be allowed to have a place of worship close to ground zero
Why not, even if that was what is proposed (instead of a cultural centre over 200m away)

no more then if the Germans built their Plish embassy beside Auschwitz, Americans setting up in Hiroshima
Aside from the false comparison between the Holocaust or the atomic bomb and the 11 September attack, and ignoring for a moment the differences in time-frame, I'd have thought a German cultural centre at Auschwitz or an American cultural centre in Hiroshima would go a long way to dispelling ill-informed myths and engaging in constructive dialogue. Knee-jerk anti-Muslim sentiment helps nobody except those who seek to drive a wedge between Islam and Western society.

or the erecting of Cromwells statue in Wexford.
Again, not a sensible comparison. Nobody's suggesting that a statue of Osama bin Laden be erected at the WTC site. The comparison I think you need in this context would be an Anglican church in Wexford - not unlike St Iberius, a Church of Ireland (Anglican) establishment in the middle of Wexford. http://www.discoverireland.ie/Search...stItemID=78136
Old Aug 27th 2010, 6:10 am
Forum Regular

fowler71 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by dbd33
I suggest that the idea of the Muslims as a nation hostile to the US doesn't hold because:

- there's no Muslim nation

- some Muslims are Americans

And, yes, I have a nice arse, thank you for noticing.
It's the principle and i beg to differ on Muslim Nation, how about Saudi Arabia.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 6:17 am
Assimilated Pauper

It's the principle and i beg to differ on Muslim Nation, how about Saudi Arabia.
The Muslims of the world do not form a nation, such as Germany or the US. What's the principle?
Old Aug 27th 2010, 6:25 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

What's the principle?
"Tit for tat"... no churches in Saudi Arabia, so no saudi funded mosques in New York?

or perhaps "Not in my back yard" best describes it... a traditional british concept I think.

List of muslim nations for you here by the way:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...rity_countries

Last edited by iaink; Aug 27th 2010 at 6:27 am.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 6:31 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by iaink
"Tit for tat"... no churches in Saudi Arabia, so no saudi funded mosques in New York?
Falsely equates Islam and Saudi Arabia. Falsely assumes churches to be symbols of the US.

or perhaps "Not in my back yard" best describes it... a traditional british concept I think.
I'm unable to see how the NIMBY idea applies in this case.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 6:34 am
Assimilated Pauper

List of muslim nations for you here by the way:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...rity_countries
Yes, there are nations that incorporate Islamic principles into their governance but the Muslim people of the world are not one nation, so comparing Muslimdom to, say, Germany makes no sense.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 6:36 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Wow this is still going on. I refer again to post #38 and stand by it.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 6:38 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Saudi Arabia is a monarchy. Islam is the official religion. Muslim is a cultural distinction.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 6:38 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

Falsely equates Islam and Saudi Arabia. Falsely assumes churches to be symbols of the US.

Who said it was anything to do with nation states as opposed to religous majorities? In what way is Saudi Arabia not equatable with Islam anyway, its a "100% muslim islamic state"

Article one of the constitution of Saudi Arabia is
"The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia is a sovereign Arab Islamic state with Islam as its religion; God's Book and the Sunnah of His Prophet, God's prayers and peace be upon him, are its constitution, Arabic is its language and Riyadh is its capital"
I'm unable to see how the NIMBY idea applies in this case.
You cant see that the majority of the population of new york is non muslim and might not welcome a muslim center close to the site of a (deranged lunatic) muslim (fringe) terrorist attack?
Old Aug 27th 2010, 6:39 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Tangram
Wow this is still going on. I refer again to post #38 and stand by it.
It ended with "nuff said", wouldn't standing by it mean posting nothing?
Old Aug 27th 2010, 6:43 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

Yes, there are nations that incorporate Islamic principles into their governance but the Muslim people of the world are not one nation, so comparing Muslimdom to, say, Germany makes no sense.
I am clearly under-caffeinated as this point seems irrelevant. The christian people of the world are not one nation either?

And yet somehow there has been nations in conflict on and off, muslim vs christian, for the better part of a thousand years or more, regardless of how you want to label the sides.

The US coalition is not intended to be seen as a Christian force, its non denominational, with people of all faiths present I guess, but as the majority religion in the US is Christianity its easy to see how its seen that way from outside.

I would say you could equally argue that the Taliban and Al-Qa'ida are such a loony fringe of Islam that in general they are no more representative of Islam as the coalition forces are of Christianity.

Last edited by iaink; Aug 27th 2010 at 7:36 am.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 6:47 am
Assimilated Pauper

Who said it was anything to do with nation states as opposed to religous majorities?
It's implied here:

"Your a bit of a smart ass hardly worthy of a reply but for the other folks, my Rationale is that Muslims should not be allowed to have a place of worship close to ground zero no more then if the Germans built their Plish embassy beside Auschwitz, Americans setting up in Hiroshima or the erecting of Cromwells statue in Wexford."

Muslims are equated to Germans and the Plish.

In what way is Saudi Arabia not equatable with Islam anyway, its a "100% muslim islamic state"

Yes, but not all Muslims are Saudis.

You cant see that the majority of the population of new york is non muslim
Of course, it's a Jewish town.

and might not welcome a muslim center close to the site of a (deranged lunatic) muslim (fringe) terrorist attack?
They might not welcome Donald Trump either but, if he can get funding, he can build his monstrosities, that's just the way of the planning process. A non-mosque isn't likely to run foul of any planning regulations and, since the non-mosque isn't even at the location over which there is such drama, I can see no reason why it shouldn't go about its business unfussed over.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.