Groceries

Old Aug 19th 2017, 3:17 am
BE Enthusiast

evets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

Originally Posted by caretaker
Some things you may be used to are hard to come by here. We've had multiple threads from people wanting to find fresh lamb without paying a fortune, and the answer is often make friends with a farmer. In time you'll find out what's in your area.
Perfect, and quite understand. As previously said, takes time and now understand contacts.

Note to self, get out more and explore the countryside!
Old Aug 19th 2017, 4:35 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I quite liked Giant Tiger in the short time I was in Ontario. Even the so called higher priced stores in ON like Sobeys tended to have cheaper prices then what you find in Metro Vancouver/Fraser Valley area.

The pertinent example is Giant Tiger... exists in Ontario but not in BC. If you want to know where to buy bacon or where the markets are your location makes a difference. Google notes everything, (and so does everything else on the internet); great search engine but nosy as hell. If you don't want to be tracked use Duckduckgo. I didn't like it enough to keep using it.
Old Aug 19th 2017, 7:53 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I quite liked Giant Tiger in the short time I was in Ontario...
I can't speak for Ontario but the GT here has much improved from a few years ago when it was only good for the odd bit of frozen food or tin. Much of the food used to be cheap store brand where you can tell it's cheap and the quality of the clothing was poor.

Clothing much better now, more branded food and there's even fresh fruit and veg.
Old Aug 19th 2017, 11:11 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I can't speak for Ontario but the GT here has much improved from a few years ago when it was only good for the odd bit of frozen food or tin. Much of the food used to be cheap store brand where you can tell it's cheap and the quality of the clothing was poor.

Clothing much better now, more branded food and there's even fresh fruit and veg.
GT is great. I shop there often. Even found a Marks and Spencer sweater there once which I had to buy even though it didn't fit.
Old Aug 19th 2017, 12:01 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
...a Marks and Spencer sweater there once which I had to buy even though it didn't fit.

As long as you get use out of it. Too small, maybe drape across the shoulders. Too big can still keep you warm.

Failing that, remove the label and sew it on something else.
Old Aug 19th 2017, 12:48 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

As long as you get use out of it. Too small, maybe drape across the shoulders. Too big can still keep you warm.

Failing that, remove the label and sew it on something else.
IT was way too small. I tried it on and looked like a crazy bag lady so I gave it to a friend for her to wear In the barn.

I do like Boutique GT but they are getting pricey now , some things cost $20! Can you imagine? It's a treasure trove along with Dollarama.
Old Aug 19th 2017, 1:32 pm
Oscar nominated

My winter boots came from GT. $35 two years ago which uncannily was the same price as the first pair I bought from Zellers in 2005.

I got 10 years use and I can still wear them as long as it's not wet out as the cracks in the soles now suck up water.
Old Aug 19th 2017, 3:09 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I've seen some shoddy items in Giant Tiger's clothing section, and some out and out factory rejects so I go for the other sale stuff; toilet paper, laundry detergent, some food items. At the check-out I often see seniors or people with kids who may not want to go to several stores (which I don't mind) with their carts full. Also a lot of meddling grannies buying baby and toddler clothes.
Old Aug 20th 2017, 12:32 am
Oscar nominated

I've seen some shoddy items in Giant Tiger's clothing section...
Oh yes, you can still find that occasionally. It's just that 10 years ago it was probably about half their stuff whereas now it's far less.

And there's still the most godawful patterned T-shirts and tops that would be considered too gauche for even the most tasteless
Old Aug 20th 2017, 3:49 am
limey party pooper

Oh yes, you can still find that occasionally. It's just that 10 years ago it was probably about half their stuff whereas now it's far less.

And there's still the most godawful patterned T-shirts and tops that would be considered too gauche for even the most tasteless
And very popular they are too!
Old Aug 20th 2017, 10:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

I buy v cheap seasonal (possibly godawful) t-shirts, (Christmas/Halloween, etc) and men's pjs. If I was on the run I would also head straight there and kit myself out in the full range of super cheap camo gear. I'd never be seen again.
Old Aug 20th 2017, 11:44 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone been to this place? It appears to have good reviews.. (Camperville, Ontario)

https://www.facebook.com/growingbrokefarm/
Old Aug 20th 2017, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

evets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
I can't help you with the first 2, but for the bacon the nearest I have found (other than going to a British shop) is Lou's double smoked back bacon - you will find it with the pre-cooked chicken, ham steaks etc., not with the bacon.

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/lous-bb.../6000195368385

I usually wait until it's on sale and then buy a load and freeze them!

Edited to add, apparently Metro Fish Dept will order fresh herring if you request it, it's only available by special order (it may be worth asking in other stores too) https://www.metro.ca/en/products-to-...eafood/herring

So found the bacon in my local metro today and thank you for the suggestion. Very tasty
Old Aug 20th 2017, 11:47 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by evets
So found the bacon in my local metro today and thank you for the suggestion. Very tasty
Glad to have been of help - I like it too! (had my bacon sarni this morning, lol) Walmart are a tad cheaper for it and often have it on sale..

Old Aug 20th 2017, 11:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Glad to have been of help - I like it too! (had my bacon sarni this morning, lol) Walmart are a tad cheaper for it and often have it on sale..

Welcome, just happened to be in Metro and noticed the brand name. Not long had my bacon sarni

Agreed Metro is a tad on the expensive side but it is the only supermarket walking distance from me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.