Groceries

Old Aug 18th 2017, 12:22 pm
  #1321  
Account Closed
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 0
scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

$60, well 7 cents shy of $60.

No Frills is the name of the game err store.

Bbq Sauce
Chilli seasoning mix
Canned beans
Canned tomatoes
Big Mac sauce
Tex mex shredded cheese
Ice cream
Ground pork
Oktoberfest style sausage*
Pork side ribs (on sale, 6.99 total for 2 racks)
Wild Argentina shrimp
Hamburger buns
hot dog buns
sliced cheese

*best deal, 4 sausages for $2
scrubbedexpat091 is offline  
Old Aug 18th 2017, 12:27 pm
  #1322  
Stand-up Philosopher
 
caretaker's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Regina Saskatchewan
Posts: 16,344
caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

Two things the people should never see being made: Law and sausages.
caretaker is offline  
Old Aug 18th 2017, 12:43 pm
  #1323  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Mar 2016
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 474
evets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

Originally Posted by caretaker
Until you enter a location next to your avatar they're all valid suggestions.
Sorry I do not get that, can you break it down in simple terms for me. As tried to check my avatar and cannot find that. Maybe having a simple moment. Sorry!
evets is offline  
Old Aug 18th 2017, 12:46 pm
  #1324  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Mar 2016
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 474
evets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
$60, well 7 cents shy of $60.

No Frills is the name of the game err store.

Bbq Sauce
Chilli seasoning mix
Canned beans
Canned tomatoes
Big Mac sauce
Tex mex shredded cheese
Ice cream
Ground pork
Oktoberfest style sausage*
Pork side ribs (on sale, 6.99 total for 2 racks)
Wild Argentina shrimp
Hamburger buns
hot dog buns
sliced cheese

*best deal, 4 sausages for $2
Can you do my shopping please, as you shop far cheaper than me

You are looking for a way to make more money, maybe personal food shopper who can cut families bills right down.

EDIT: Worth a look into, as people are trying to be more cost conscious. Look at the rise of Aldi/Lidi: discount German chain, huge in the UK and Aldi broken successfully into AU.

Last edited by evets; Aug 18th 2017 at 12:49 pm. Reason: more info
evets is offline  
Old Aug 18th 2017, 12:55 pm
  #1325  
Banned
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 19,879
Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

Originally Posted by evets
Sorry I do not get that, can you break it down in simple terms for me. As tried to check my avatar and cannot find that. Maybe having a simple moment. Sorry!
Go to your profile - click on 'Edit your details' - about halfway down look under 'additional information' and you can input your area of residence there, under 'location'

Attached Thumbnails Groceries-profile.jpg  
Siouxie is offline  
Old Aug 18th 2017, 1:05 pm
  #1326  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Mar 2016
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 474
evets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Go to your profile - click on 'Edit your details' - about halfway down look under 'additional information' and you can input your area of residence there, under 'location'

Hey Siouxie, cheers now figured that out with your help. But still unsure about caretakers response, ie what does this change for me?

How would I have found the supermarket he mentioned by updating these details?

Or I have completely misread his comment!
evets is offline  
Old Aug 18th 2017, 1:27 pm
  #1327  
Assimilated Pauper
 
dbd33's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Ontario
Posts: 40,024
dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

Originally Posted by evets
. Shame they do not have a website, but the 7 google reviews are great.
A website? They truly arrive at work in a horse and cart. They do have an interact machine but it all goes better if you're carrying money.
dbd33 is offline  
Old Aug 18th 2017, 2:01 pm
  #1328  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Mar 2016
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 474
evets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

Originally Posted by dbd33
A website? They truly arrive at work in a horse and cart. They do have an interact machine but it all goes better if you're carrying money.
haha I did have an image in my head, but not quite as rustic

Cash is King!!
evets is offline  
Old Aug 18th 2017, 2:11 pm
  #1329  
Assimilated Pauper
 
dbd33's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Ontario
Posts: 40,024
dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

Originally Posted by evets
haha I did have an image in my head, but not quite as rustic

Cash is King!!
If you were to go there you might see that there's a big Home Hardware store just south of them on highway 6. It has a huge newly built drive shed; a building with a roof and hitching posts that can accommodate maybe ten horse and cart combos. The No Frills across the road also has hitching posts.

Enough people travel by horse and buggy in Grey county that businesses strive to accommodate them.
dbd33 is offline  
Old Aug 18th 2017, 2:13 pm
  #1330  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Mar 2016
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 474
evets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

Originally Posted by dbd33
If you were to go there you might see that there's a big Home Hardware store just south of them on highway 6. It has a huge newly built drive shed; a building with a roof and hitching posts that can accommodate maybe ten horse and cart combos. The No Frills across the road also has hitching posts.

Enough people travel by horse and buggy in Grey county that businesses strive to accommodate them.
haha too funny, must be a Canadian rural country thingy!!! Must check it out.
evets is offline  
Old Aug 18th 2017, 6:03 pm
  #1331  
Banned
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 19,879
Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

Originally Posted by evets
Hey Siouxie, cheers now figured that out with your help. But still unsure about caretakers response, ie what does this change for me?

How would I have found the supermarket he mentioned by updating these details?

Or I have completely misread his comment!
I think he meant it is easier to guide you to where you might find specific items if your where-abouts is known. Some stores are generic, others are Province specific.



Originally Posted by evets
haha too funny, must be a Canadian rural country thingy!!! Must check it out.
Ummm more likely a Mennonite or Amish thingy! If you head out to St. Jacobs market sometime, you'll see many = there's a fair few stalls run by the local families. I can recommend the Mennonite green tomato and garlic relish!- ..


Last edited by Siouxie; Aug 18th 2017 at 6:09 pm.
Siouxie is offline  
Old Aug 19th 2017, 1:14 am
  #1332  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Mar 2016
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 474
evets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

[QUOTE=Siouxie;12320175]I think he meant it is easier to guide you to where you might find specific items if your where-abouts is known. Some stores are generic, others are Province specific.


/QUOTE]

OK noted but still unsure how this forum and linking my location, will help with my google searches for supermarkets.... Does Google note my location from BE and provide me with customised searches?

EDIT, I guess from reviewing this after posting you mean other members providing specifics regarding my location. I suppose still being a newbie in the country, I am unaware that each state supermarkets could offer very different items from what I posted. They seemed pretty generic to me.


Originally Posted by Siouxie
Ummm more likely a Mennonite or Amish thingy! If you head out to St. Jacobs market sometime, you'll see many = there's a fair few stalls run by the local families. I can recommend the Mennonite green tomato and garlic relish!- ..

Ok will review that. Still a new country and new customs!

Last edited by evets; Aug 19th 2017 at 1:18 am.
evets is offline  
Old Aug 19th 2017, 1:20 am
  #1333  
Stand-up Philosopher
 
caretaker's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Regina Saskatchewan
Posts: 16,344
caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

[QUOTE=evets;12320345]
Originally Posted by Siouxie
OK noted but still unsure how this forum and linking my location, will help with my google searches for supermarkets.... Does Google note my location from BE and provide me with customised searches?

The pertinent example is Giant Tiger... exists in Ontario but not in BC. If you want to know where to buy bacon or where the markets are your location makes a difference. Google notes everything, (and so does everything else on the internet); great search engine but nosy as hell. If you don't want to be tracked use Duckduckgo. I didn't like it enough to keep using it.
caretaker is offline  
Old Aug 19th 2017, 1:31 am
  #1334  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Mar 2016
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 474
evets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

[QUOTE=caretaker;12320348]
Originally Posted by evets


The pertinent example is Giant Tiger... exists in Ontario but not in BC. If you want to know where to buy bacon or where the markets are your location makes a difference. Google notes everything, (and so does everything else on the internet); great search engine but nosy as hell. If you don't want to be tracked use Duckduckgo. I didn't like it enough to keep using it.
True, after submitting my response I re-read it and Siouxie response and worked out what it meant. Keyboard trigger happy at times.

And thank you caretaker, for your feedback, Canada is a large country and still coming to grips with the minor details. Australia dominated by two chains and really nothing else. Canada while still dominated by a few chains, still has variety.
evets is offline  
Old Aug 19th 2017, 2:26 am
  #1335  
Stand-up Philosopher
 
caretaker's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Regina Saskatchewan
Posts: 16,344
caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

Some things you may be used to are hard to come by here. We've had multiple threads from people wanting to find fresh lamb without paying a fortune, and the answer is often make friends with a farmer. In time you'll find out what's in your area.
caretaker is offline  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.